Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

LBYM: weeHouses vs. McMansions
Old 06-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

LBYM: weeHouses vs. McMansions

Interesting article on alternative housing (I'll copy, since this will be a short-lived link):

http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/mini_1.html

Move Over, McMansions
The Wall Street Journal Online
By Annelena Lobb

Microhouses are luring buyers looking for vacation getaways, art studios or even full-time residences

When Scott McGlasson, a St. Paul, Minn., furniture designer, bought land for a vacation house on Little Pequaywan Lake, he knew he didn't want to build a large, traditional house like many of those he had seen going up in the region.

"There are a lot of people building McMansions on lakes, but I really like small, simple things. And as a designer, I'm steeped in modernism -- I love things that don't have unnecessary elements to them," he says.

He designed the home with the help of his friend Geoff Warner, principal architect at Alchemy Architects, a St. Paul firm. The 800 square-foot dwelling, which cost around $160,000, was the second of Mr. Warner's "weeHouses"(www.weeHouses.com), multipurpose units that can be used as anything from second homes to yoga studios. Mr. Warner says that the first one he built drew such a positive response that he decided to build more of the tiny houses -- since 2003, he has sold 14 additional units.

Mr. Warner is one of a number of U.S. architects designing microhomes -- typically, houses spanning from a few hundred to a little more than a thousand square feet. These houses, far smaller than the average 2,400 square-foot home built in the U.S. last year, contain most of the amenities of larger dwellings, including kitchens and bathrooms. Many occupy just two rooms, or sometimes two rooms plus a living area. Some microhomes compensate for the small layout by capitalizing on vertical space, custom-designing cabinets and furniture, raising ceilings to build in sleeping lofts, or even using flat-roof space as a deck or patio area.

Designers say microhome buyers tend to fall into one of two groups: The majority are looking for a secondary space, either a vacation home or a building near or attached to a primary residence. A minority of buyers are hoping to move into a minihouse full-time, motivated by a desire to simplify their lifestyles or by social and environmental concerns about the amount of living space people need.

While the market for tiny houses is still tiny itself, architects say they have seen interest from buyers jump significantly in the past five years. In 2002, Greg Johnson, an information-technology consultant in Iowa City, co-founded the Small House Society (www.resourcesforlife.com/groups/smallhousesociety/resources.htm), a group that champions extra-small homes. He says he initially sent his newsletter to seven people; today he has about 260 individuals and architectural firms on the list.

Top to bottom: Construction and transportation of a weeHouse, and the finished product.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: LBYM: weeHouses vs. McMansions
Old 06-17-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

$200 a square foot for a square empty box, and this does not even include the land? Whoever fell for this is either 1) smoking crack 2) smoking meth or 3) Has too much money. I could build you a functionally and architecturally equivalent structure for about $50/SF.

P.T. Barnum was correct.
bbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't believe anyone would pay $160k for this.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Duh

I bought an 1100 sq ft three bedroom, one bath house in the MO burbs in 2005 for an outrageous 85K (two wooded lots across the street thrown in).

People raised whole families in these things - got several three kid families - same floor plan up and down the street - and a few retiree's like us.

What micro??

heh heh heh heh - now a college dorm room
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:45 AM   #5

I think it's out of place too. In upstate NY prices have risen, but you can still find a 1920's house with a lot of character, in the city at a great price, relatively speaking.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:48 AM   #6

this 'wee' house is a 'wee' bit silly. dontcha think? the price is outrageous and 800 sq ft is a bit tight for me....oops gotta go its 'wee' 'wee' time!
Old 06-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Remembering my first house that was 890 square feet 3 bedroom, it was perfectly big enough. I hardly spent any time in it though. My dads current house is just under 1000 square feet. A couple of decades ago it wasnt unusual to see a family of six in a 1200 square foot house.

That having been said, this is a ripoff of biblical proportions. Totally targetted to someone planning on a $500k+ construction and this just hits a funny bone in their brains. And it seems like theres plenty of bones in there to hit...

You can get a couple of acres of land and a nice crappy little house custom engineered and delivered home for under $160k in some areas around here. We call them "mobile homes"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny
Remembering my first house that was 890 square feet 3 bedroom, it was perfectly big enough.*
This guy is missing the point-- most people would need a barn twice as big to store all their crap.

Of the three construction projects going up in a local business park, two are storage units. There are already three storage businesses in just that park itself, but apparently it's not enough!

Or maybe he get the point and has a development contract with the storage & home-organizing businesses...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

No kiddin'...damn ugly and way expensive.

Nothing wrong with downsizing....I love a small house, and with a little thought and professional assistance, some amazing designs are out there.

One of my favorite books on the subject is Jim Tolpin's The New Cottage Home. We're a few years away from building, but we've earmarked dozens of pages in this book...and I expect when the time comes, we'll end up with a home far more attractive and functional than an ugly box, for much less $$'s.
Da Nag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

happy here in my shotgun cottage (with two rooms i don't even use). looking foward to "downsizing" to that 600 sf wee house on the water. probably will spend more than $160k though i could do it easily & nicely for that. plus if you don't like the neighbors you can always move.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48 ft ed monk $155k.jpg (20.0 KB, 249 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb 48 ft ed monk $155k.jpg_thumb (21.9 KB, 0 views)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #11

While everyone here is thrifty enough to find cheaper alternatives, I think the point is dead on: for most people with limited resources, living in a small home rather than a mcmansion is the way to go.

I live in a 1000+ square foot condo with a roomate, and I find it's almost the ideal size. The smallish size forces me to consider what possessions I really need and which I can get along without. Sure it would be nice to have more room but is it worth working 10 years or more for? No way (well, not until I decide to have kids at least).
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I always thought these tiny houses were cute:

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

and way more affordable than what this guy is offering.
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:31 PM   #13

However, a little 'off the wall' if you ask me. Might be an interesting playhouse in the backyard for the kids though.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:35 PM   #14

Is it just me or does that wee house look like a piece of furniture from the 50's/60's??
Old 06-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

950-1100 square feet is not uncommon here in SF. My 3BR/1BA is 1100.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #16

Quote:
most people would need a barn twice as big to store all their crap
'tis a sad commentary, but near true.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:27 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
However, a little 'off the wall' if you ask me.* Might be an interesting playhouse in the backyard for the kids though.
The spouse and I were thinking more along the lines of a MIL apartment. If we end up having to support more than one parent it could save our sanity - especially if we can buy some land far away.
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 784 sq. ft. mobile home, bought used for $5000, spent about another $1000 for replacement paint, cabinets, etc. for my family of 3. Our previous house was rented, it was 600 sq. ft. and we lived there 8 years.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #19

Mobile homes are a pretty cheap way to live, except in states where tornados and hurricanes have a tendency to go.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Is it that people put mobile homes where tornados and hurricanes happen, or do tornados and hurricanes happen as a result of mobile homes?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote