LBYMs what do you save on?

I simply slash my expenses as much as possible in any way possible, without making myself uncomfortable.

Utilities - A/C on 79 or 80, heat on 69 or 70. I only have a desk lamp on when I'm in my office (using the computer). Don't keep lights on in other parts of the house. Try not to waste water - not only higher water bills, but higher sewer and gas (hot water heater) bills. Don't have cable. Check out movies from the library.

Groceries - Shop at Aldi for nearly everything I can (except animal proteins). Don't typically snack much, only eat reasonably-sized main meals that I usually cook myself. I do splurge (for social reasons) on grabbing lunch with some co-workers a few times a week, probably $2,000/year rate.

Insurance - Only pay $60/month for my $5,500 deductible health care plan. Am healthy, so only been to the doctor 1 time in the past 10 years.

Fun/social activities - Might splurge a bit here, but only occasionally do I go out. I am dating, and sometimes involves long distance, so that is a relatively large expenditure.

Auto - Drive a $18,000 (MSRP) hatchback, purchased new. I've averaged 30 mpg, so relatively fuel efficient.

Mortgage - 1.99% PenFed 5 year Home Equity Loan. Don't pay closing costs.

Am largely waiting to get married before the massive travel expenditures start, so until that happens, am just content having a low-key, relaxed, fun life in the meantime. Cash outflow is probably $20,000-$25,000/year, excluding car allowance.

Like most I'm DIY when able - mowing, vehicle maintenance/repairs and the like. I've hired a lawn guy for the rest of this season for a health issue but expect to be fully recovered in plenty of time to shovel snow if we get any.

Designer clothes? I wouldn't know one of them if it bit me.

For the most part we eat at home but will splurge once in a while. When we were working lunches came from home.

We do buy new vehicles but keep them until either reliability, availability of parts or basic economics says it it time to let it go.

We're not big on travel so don't spend on hotels, meals out, etc.

Rarely bathe. Drink Sterno straight from the can.

I went upscale from that. I buy whiskey in large volume from Costco and then wear the barrel when its empty af the end of the week and save tons on clothing!

Back
Top Bottom