Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Travel.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 12:55 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Travel - although I make every attempt to travel frugally

Wine
Old 06-19-2014, 04:40 AM   #43
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
What is interesting is that many lovely experiences are also free or low cost - a picnic lunch, a walk in the forest, visiting a tide pool, riding bikes, a day at the beach, sipping wine on the patio, visiting a museum or garden, going to a cook out, taking an art class, reading a mystery novel or a nice visit with friends.

I do like to go out for interesting ethnic food I don't know how to cook at home - like Thai or Indian. We also plan to splurge on more travel in the future.
What you describe is my idea of fun as well. Best things in life cost nothing and include other people.....

But when splurging things like wine, food, travel, second house in mountains look like primarily spending on experience.

Some ultra fancy car would look like things. And there is nothing wrong with that as well
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Travel, vehicles and kids!
diehard1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

One other area we splurge on - cash gifts to nieces, nephews, and other young people we are close friends with for graduations and weddings. We give well above the "average" amounts.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I sold my soul to the Amazon store.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

LED light bulbs. Got most of my light bulbs changed from CFL to LED
Old 06-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I suppose it depends on the definition of "splurge", but I don't think we really splurge on much of anything. I think of "splurging" as doing something "crazy" or reckless with money - something you hadn't planned on - more spur of the moment. Clearly, we could live on much less (and have) but everything is pretty much "in the plan" (not the budget - we don't have one.)

We have 3 cars, but could live with only one or even none (good bus system). But we buy inexpensive used cars. So is that splurging?

We live in a high cost state (single most expensive part of living in HI is RE). Again, we planned the move for 30 years - and it works, so is that splurging?

We give our kids and charities a significant portion of our yearly "draw". We plan each gift carefully and don't do it on a whim. So, is that splurging?

Not trying to quibble with OP's thread, but just doing a personal sanity check. If I ever fly "first class", I'll consider that a splurge (to me). If I ever buy a "new" car, that will be a splurge (to me). Even though I could afford these things, I consider them a "splurge". So, I'm still unsure whether we ever splurge - even though we could spend much less. Baaahhhh! Is a puzzlement!" YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Travel. I've been really good at getting maximum value from loyalty (frequent flyer and hotel points) programs but as they get stingier and I no longer have business travel to help accumulate points, that will be less of a factor in the future.

I've also had a love of real jewelry my whole life and I have a lot of it. I never had a fantasy that it was an investment; I just like sparkly stuff.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is anything a splurge if one is living within one's budget?

I've recently purchased the highest quality camera lens I've ever used. I think it may be a gateway drug because there are another half dozen lenses for different purposes and of markedly better quality available at double and triple the price. That's OK. I can stop spending if and when my cost of living reaches the budgeted level.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #51

Travel too.

And as long as I live in this overpriced city, rent. >50% of my monthly expense is housing.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #52

My weaknesses are high quality electronics and astronomy. Both ridiculously expensive.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #53

Stereo gear and LP's for moi, mini horses for the wife. About $ 12k last year. According to Quicken, that's about 19% of our expenditures. I love this LBYM business!
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Travel, good wine, art and the recent hot tub purchase-best splurgy present I ever gave myself!
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Travel. (This year, will spend about six months on various US and international trips).
smurray5991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #56

Golf, travel and Vodka. Not necessarily in that order.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #57

Wait. Some of you can no longer be considered LBYM'ng with stuff you are doing now.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #58

Horrifically frugal by nature, after LYBM'ing for so many years I have much pent up spending demand. So...just spent almost $4K on new bed, mattress (best sleeping experience of my life!), and bedding. Also just spent $2300 on a new sofa and chair. All should last 20 years or so because they're high quality. I've learned (the hard way) that quality lasts and is cheaper in the long run. Then just spent more than a few hundred on casual clothes because I have none.

Next spring I will buy a new MBZ to reward myself for making it to ER. I don't believe material things bring happiness, but they can bring satisfaction if bought wisely/optimally, which is something else entirely.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Wait. Some of you can no longer be considered LBYM'ng with stuff you are doing now.
Oh yes we can. LBYM is a mathematical concept. If revenues > expenses, you are LBYM.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Oh yes we can. LBYM is a mathematical concept. If revenues > expenses, you are LBYM.
Perhaps what robnplunder means is we can no longer necessarily consider ourselves "frugal". I struggle with this, because after having been so thrifty for so long I almost feel guilty for how much I've finally been spending lately (even though it's still definitely LBMM).
Options is offline   Reply With Quote