LBYMs what do you splurge on?

eta2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Most of the people here are strongly LBYM types , yet we all probably overspend on something. You wanna share what it is?

In my case it is nice bottle of red wine (usually 20 bucks) that I split with my SO every evening :). And I am not overly frugal when in grocery store.

Sashimi!

LBYM & Splurge = Oxymoron

Well I am not sure. I live on bellow 25% of my after taxes income(not counting dividends)...yet I waste 6-7k on wine.

Now women that earlier poster mentioned are way more expensive :)

Special local events (festivals, rodeo) etc-especially during the summer. The rodeo usually cost 100 between tickets, meals, beer.

We LBYM but take at least one vacation per year with family - have been building memories for last sixteen years. Someday when kids are on their own, we'll miss them so much and those memories will keep us busy in our later years. I'll look for the deals, rent a place with kitchen but we'll go out somewhere. We're going to Europe this summer.

Not sure if this is really a splurge, but I spend for plenty of heating in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. I like to be comfortable.

My biggest splurge is my 2nd home "in the mountain" (7,000-ft elevation) to allow us to escape the summer heat of the low-desert metropolitan area. It cost more than my main home. It's where I am typing this post.

My 2nd splurge is foreign travel. My original plan was to make 2 trips each year, but I have not been doing that in the past 2 years. That will be remedied next year.

Other than the above, I am quite frugal, for example do not buy wine much above $10. However, I do splurge for spirits as I do not drink that much and these precious bottles last me a long time.

Probably travel. Getting ready to drop $4300 on our 5 week family trip to Canada (departing in 1 week).

For small things, I just made a conscious choice to pay more for something I enjoy. A half gallon of Turkey Hill ice cream was on sale for $2.50 and the similar store brand was on sale for $2.00. Turkey Hill is soooo good, I can spare the $0.50 extra. Or rather $1.00 extra since I bought 2 (for the kids, health nuts, for the kids!).

A new Cadillac with all the toys!

Gourmet steaks from Costco!

Starbucks coffee!

Travel here as well. At least one family trip each year. I also do a University of Pittsburgh road football game each year (4 day weekend) with a group of old college buddies that now live all across the country. Good times, great memories and we get to see many different college football venues!

Even with our LBYM budget DW and I still have our individual "no questions asked" monthly account that we can choose to spend on what we want without guilt. Jointly it usually is vacations (favorite was a spur of the moment trip to Las Vegas). For me it is computers - e.g. 14+ servers, laptops, notebooks scattered throughout the house right now.Then add a virtualization layer on top of some of them that multiples the number of operating system instances... it's insane. But it is fun.:LOL:

Well I am not sure. I live on bellow 25% of my after taxes income(not counting dividends)...yet I waste 6-7k on wine.

Now women that earlier poster mentioned are way more expensive :)

Well, in that case, I have a few: golf membership for me and DW ($10k/year), dining out ($200 - $400/month), traveling (for golf, and tourism), supporting less family members with monthly allowance (is that splurging or obligation?), Ebay shopping for needed toys, and lawn care service (too lazy to do it myself).

Back
Top Bottom