Join Early Retirement Today

leave it to nephew
Old 02-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

leave it to nephew

After decades of dryer sheet reuse, do you anticipate leaving too much on the table? Are all those assets making your tax return complicated? Well, this person can help "simplify" your portfolio, and do it quickly!

"The day he passed away, I learned he was bequeathing me over 2.5 million dollars."

http://www.kapitalust.com/you-had-2-...-you-did-what/

GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #2

This is why I didn't leave anything to my nephew. He'd do something similar but with a lot less money.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

To add insult to injury, he took the few sheckles he had left, and shorted APPL, because he was positive it was going to drop after reporting earnings the other day. Oops.

It's such a train wreck that it almost seems impossible that it's real, though I know such people exist. Good Lord.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #4

As the soon to be recipient of a very generous and frugal Uncle, I can tell you I wish my Uncle would have spent more than he had, but I'm sure he spent on what he wanted and valued. The family frugality was a running joke, and I have even passed it on to my 16 year old son! Today I told him to shake the orange juice before pouring because it had settled. To which he replied, if I drink off the top we can add water and get more orange juice.

My Uncle and his brothers would send birthday cards with sticky notes, so they could reuse the cards. One time my Uncle had reused the sticky note. That card and sticky note made it through to 5 of us before stopping!

I will look back throughout the years upon my interactions with him as being a blessing. The bequest is irrelevant, though it may expedite my exit and cushion the coffers for sure.

One thing is for certain, I'm not going to blow it on the ponies!
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:16 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I have a relative who was given a large sum 40 years ago by his grandmother. Worth in today's dollars approximately $233,000
He blew it on booze, stupidity, and more booze, booze, booze .... it ruined his life.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Is this a joke? If so, it is good.

Edit: One of the comments says he posted a similar story in 2015. And the comments are several days old on a story that posted 1/27
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aapl.JPG (14.9 KB, 214 views)
Old 02-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #7

No doubt that that guy is an addict. Classic symptoms, one more trade, one more drink, one more hit, and it'll all be better.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I have a relative who was given a large sum 40 years ago by his grandmother. Worth in today's dollars approximately $233,000
He blew it on booze, stupidity, and more booze, booze, booze .... it ruined his life.
Reminds me of the old George Best quote, "I spent all of my money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #9

That is really sad to me but not all people think about money like we do. I think about this once and a while for my wife and I have very little family and have one son that isn't married. We have know we would even feel comfortable leaving property and portfolio too except your son. He is very responsible and successful in life.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #10
Administrator

Squandering inherited money is something we should all cheer. That money isn't burned, it's spent, and the economy (all the rest of us) benefits from that opportunity. Besides, a little Schadenfreude with coffee in the morning never hurts.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #11

Its his money...he can do whatever he wants with it.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Although I think the article is fake, some heirs probably do waste an inheritance, but I think there are probably fewer people squandering large inheritances than using them well. The lottery winner who burns up big jackpots is different (people choose to "play" the lottery, and some of them are gambling addicts). Those lottery stories are easier to track in that many big winners' names are made public by law, but most people losing their inheritances don't go public with it. If I ever get a $2.5 million inheritance I promise to report how I use every penny (the "misc." category might be pretty big).
Old 02-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

When I was a kid we watched the family up the road go through about 250k(early 70s). It was his mom's money and it went to the local car dealerships. I recall him going in one day and coming back with a pair of identical buicks. He burnt through it in about 3 years. Meanwhile his 7 kids had no college.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #14

That's why I am leaving everything to my church.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Although I think the article is fake, some heirs probably do waste an inheritance, but I think there are probably fewer people squandering large inheritances than using them well. .
My cousin did blow a large 7 figure inheritance. The numbers thrown around by the family were in the $2-3 million range. Time from inheritance to losing it all about 5 years. OH in addition she got a business earning 6 figures, and a husband who just had a 7 figure year on the street.

Speaking with a wealth management friend, he says it is very common to see the heirs of 7 figure accounts blow it quickly, at a rate of about 3-5 years per million. He indicated any money behavior before the windfall will be amplified in proportion to the windfall.

.[/QUOTE]If I ever get a $2.5 million inheritance I promise to report how I use every penny (the "misc." category might be pretty big).[/QUOTE]
Nothing wrong with opening the purse strings a little every now and then.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #16

I had a cousin that blew a 400k inheritance in a few years. I knew another family (no relation) that blew about the same amount of an inheritance gambling. I think it happens all the time but many people are to upset to talk about it.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #17

I see this a lot- it also happens with lawsuit money. People who don't know how to accumulate money also don't know how to hold on to it.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

hate to say this since it may be heresy on this forum but the kid needed a FA
Old 02-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #19

I have a cousin that blew through 3 inheritances. I am amazed at how stupid they were to do that.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
hate to say this since it may be heresy on this forum but the kid needed a FA
She had several during the period. Having them and doing as they say are two completely different things.