Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper_cat View Post
The info I provided was a reply I received from TSP representative when I asked the question to TSP earlier this month.

from https://www.tsp.gov/tsp-basics/move-money-into-tsp/
Ways to move money into your TSP account

Transfer money directly into the TSP

A transfer or “direct rollover” occurs when the eligible plan sends all or part of your money to the TSP. Use Form TSP-60, Request for a Transfer Into the TSP, for tax-deferred amounts. To transfer Roth money, use Form TSP-60-R, Request for a Roth Transfer Into the TSP.
Roll Over Traditional Money into the TSP

A “rollover” is when you receive eligible money directly from your traditional IRA or plan and then you later put it into your TSP account. You cannot roll over Roth money into the TSP and you must complete your rollover within 60 days from the date you receive your funds. Use Form TSP-60, Request for a Transfer Into the TSP, to roll over eligible traditional money.

from the instruction page:
"If you are making a transfer (direct rollover), you must
then provide the entire package to your IRA trustee or plan
administrator to complete Section III and send us the completed
form with a check."

looks like the transfer is direct from your IRA brokerage house to TSP, but in the form of a check

retiredunder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredunder50 View Post
from https://www.tsp.gov/tsp-basics/move-money-into-tsp/
Ways to move money into your TSP account

Transfer money directly into the TSP

A transfer or “direct rollover” occurs when the eligible plan sends all or part of your money to the TSP. Use Form TSP-60, Request for a Transfer Into the TSP, for tax-deferred amounts. To transfer Roth money, use Form TSP-60-R, Request for a Roth Transfer Into the TSP.
Roll Over Traditional Money into the TSP

A “rollover” is when you receive eligible money directly from your traditional IRA or plan and then you later put it into your TSP account. You cannot roll over Roth money into the TSP and you must complete your rollover within 60 days from the date you receive your funds. Use Form TSP-60, Request for a Transfer Into the TSP, to roll over eligible traditional money.

from the instruction page:
"If you are making a transfer (direct rollover), you must
then provide the entire package to your IRA trustee or plan
administrator to complete Section III and send us the completed
form with a check."

looks like the transfer is direct from your IRA brokerage house to TSP, but in the form of a check

I guess we're talking apples and oranges. I moved money OUT of TSP not INTO it.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I have a decent friend that is an EJs advisor. They spend a lot of time looking for clients and he told me once that older folks are great "marks" and you can find these folks by seeing "fat squirrels and long cars" in some older, established neighborhoods. Yes...they still solicit business DOOR TO DOOR.

Also, this is a picture from his Facebook. Do you want to help pay for an EJs advisors sweet ride?
They don't call him fast Eddie for nothing! Fat squirrels and long cars, indeed...sheesh.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:03 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
I guess we're talking apples and oranges. I moved money OUT of TSP not INTO it.

Thanks. I was quoting Peppercat as the TSP reply he references seems to be mostly focused on transfers IN to the TSP. That TSP reply aligns with what is currently on the TSP site with respect to inbound transfers (direct rollovers).
Old 08-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

With the improved withdrawal access, the relatively low fees & the unique G fund, the TSP is pretty good. There is a problem that couples should consider upon the death of the TSP account owner. If the beneficiary is your spouse, the spouse can basically continue on with TSP. However, when the spouse passes, the spouse's beneficiaries will have to pay taxes on the lump sum they receive.

https://www.tsp.gov/publications/tspbk33.pdf page 9

Payment of Death Benefits From
Your Account
Death benefit payments made from your beneficiary
participant account must be paid directly to your
beneficiary(ies). These payments are subject to certain
tax restrictions and cannot be transferred or rolled over
into an IRA or eligible employer plan. In addition, your
beneficiary(ies) will have to pay the full amount of taxes
on the taxable portions of the payment in the year it is
received. Your beneficiaries will not owe taxes on Roth
contributions, qualified earnings on Roth contributions,
and tax-exempt contributions in the account. For
detailed information about the rules associated with
death benefit payments, read the TSP tax notice Important
Information About Thrift Savings Plan Death Benefit Payments.
You may also want to consult a tax advisor.

You might want to leave your spouse instructions to get the funds into an IRA upon your death.