Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Leaving Job You Like/When Are You Done?
Old 01-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Leaving Job You Like/When Are You Done?

There was an earlier thread about who likes their job or liked their job, for the retired. But I wonder about the situation where you folks liked what you did but realized "it was time to go".

Did any of you leave (like Michael Jordan?) leave at the top of your game? Is it harder to figure out when to leave when things are going well?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Leaving Job You Like/When Are You Done?
Old 01-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
There was an earlier thread about who likes their job or liked their job, for the retired. But I wonder about the situation where you folks liked what you did but realized "it was time to go".

Did any of you leave (like Michael Jordan?) leave at the top of your game? Is it harder to figure out when to leave when things are going well?
Excellent question. That is exactly how I felt, i.e.
"liked what I did but it was time to go". I left pretty much
"at the top of my game", both job-wise and income-wise.
I was President and 100% owner of my own well-established
manufacturing company, living a pretty lavish lifestyle
(at least compared to now). Anyway, I never regretted quitting
and I am a relentless second-guesser.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #3

Nope, I needed a 'kick' out the door. My Boss told me my job was 'Changing'. I was going to be working on a project that I 'loathed', so I went home and ran the numbers and decided that I was going to 'retire' instead.

I originally thought that I would do some part time programming, and did for the first year, but the company was sold shortly after I left and the work dried up.

So now, I am fully worthless and the thought of doing anything for money, is very unnerving. I am so used to doing my own thing - Going on 5 years now. 8)
Old 01-03-2006, 04:41 PM   #4

Sometimes leaving a job whether you love or not is an opportunity in disguise.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My first ER was due to an utter disgust with management and the politics of the place coupled with the slipping away of the company's place in the market and a thousand other reasons. I started looking for a way out 6 months before I hit age 50 (earlist retirement age). My ER was short lived by design because I started working for another company 1800 miles away a month after my ER. They offered to move me, help me sell my house and pay all the closing costs on my old house and a new one. I estimated they spend over $100k on my move. I only owed them one year with the company or else I would have to pay them back. I stayed the year and then some.

Long story short(er). Things can happen in your life to upset your best plans. I am still working but I enjoy my job more than the one I left. They pay a decent (although smaller) wage than I had before and their retirement plan is only a 401(K) with a small match. I could FIRE out any time I want. That makes a huge difference in my mental attitude and people here seem to know that so they tend to not give me too much corp. BS to deal with.

Am I at the top? No, but I don't care. I gave up the desire to be at the "top" years ago. I am fine with what I am doing and don't want to do more. I have turned down a couple of promotions here and one in CA. I don't want to move for a while and I am just coasting until my next ER. Who knows what will come next? My options are always open.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I was close to the top of my game, two levels of bosses really didn't want me to go. I was just getting a little bored and the company is changing in ways I wasn't sure I wanted to hang around for. Of course the years pay they were offering those that were willing to sign up helped me decide to.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll be done when I hit the magic number, which gets smaller every year!! The door won't hit me in the a$$!! 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have some ownership in the company I work for, make more money than I ever have, and I am an officer/director of the company......... so I guess I'm on top. But I am tired of crunching numbers and doing the same old thing that I have done for the last several years. I wish I enjoyed my job more as it wouldn't be all bad to stash away more money, but it's just not worth it. I want my freedom. Besides, the golf course is calling. Can't you hear it
Old 01-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I was totally at the top of my game and had no intentions of changing jobs, let alone retiring.

The company screwed up by sending me on a three month paid sabbatical. I spent most of it goofing off, sitting in a chair under an umbrella at the lake, swimming, drinking Guiness and reading. Unfortunately my view of the water was frequently blocked by girls in bikini's. I did get past that though.

I slept better, was more relaxed, and felt 9000% better than I ever had in my life.

When I got back, it was like a veil was lifted from my eyes. 95% of what I did was politics and horseshit. Of no value to me or to the company. Stupidity, egos and puffery of no real consequence.

I just couldnt do it anymore. As hard as I tried, I couldnt put the veil back on. A few months later the company stock dropped ~90%. A few months after that they offered a years pay with benefits and some other nice bonuses for anyone willing to quit, with the stipulation that you couldnt be rehired for a year.

So I took the years paid vacation figuring I'd see how a longer version worked for me. I knew then as I know now that I could be hired back in 60 seconds after my old boss picked up the phone, or any of a hundred other people for that matter.

Honestly...never looked back.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()

When I got back, it was like a veil was lifted from my eyes. 95% of what I did was politics and horse****. Of no value to me or to the company. Stupidity, egos and puffery of no real consequence.
Wonder how many would agree with this?* I do completely.* If it were not true, I'd still be working.* But, the first axiom is be true to yourself and when you realize that what you are doing is horse manure, well, alternatives must be contemplated.* Don't miss it, feel better, and will continue to do so as long as the checks keep coming.* *

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Its the slow boiled frog syndrome, for sure.

I'm sure some people really like what they do, the people they work with, and their customers. I really liked the core job I did, and I really liked most of the people I worked with. My wife loves her job, coworkers and "customers". She's still working. So for some it can work.

If you're FI and arent sure if ER is for you, you owe it to yourself to take a nice long vacation...couple of months...and see how it feels while you're off and what the pot of boiling water looks like when you get back.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote