Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Our CFLs were burning out like incandescents. We started the switch over to LEDs several years ago and have not had to replace a single bulb yet.
I am the odd man out. We replaced all the edisons with CFLs in 2007. Had one burn out since then.

Installed LEDs to replace halogen tracklights. 2 of 8 are dead within six months....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are doing a major remodel on a house and are going with LED cans and LED landscape lighting. Not changing can lights and having the ability for dimmers is the main reason on interior. On the exterior I just don't like messing with changing the burned out lights, halogen landscape lights don't last that long and are expensive to replace.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've got some enclosed overhead fixtures in our bathrooms, the CFLs last about 2-3 years in moderate use. They just get too hot, and I'd guess LEDs would fare the same (unless they get highly efficient and make less heat). I should probably just change out the fixtures.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #24

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...bulb-concerns/
From the Scientific American on LED solution issues as possible worse than CFL:

LEDs do have a dark side. A study published in late 2010 in the journal Environmental Science and Technology found that LEDs contain lead, arsenic and a dozen other potentially dangerous substances. LEDs are touted as the next generation of lighting,” says Oladele Ogunseitan, one of the researchers behind the study and chair of the University of California (UC)-Irvine’s Department of Population Health & Disease Prevention. “But as we try to find better products that do not deplete energy resources or contribute to global warming, we have to be vigilant [about] toxicity hazards….”

Ogunseitan and other UC-Irvine researchers tested several types of LEDs, including those used as Christmas lights, traffic lights, car headlights and brake lights. What did they find? Some of the worst offenders were low-intensity red LEDs, which were found to contain up to eight times the amount of lead, a known neurotoxin, allowed by California state law and which, according to researchers, “exhibit significant cancer and noncancer potentials due to the high content of arsenic and lead.” Meanwhile, white LEDs contain the least lead, but still harbor large amounts of nickel, another heavy metal that causes allergic reactions in as many as one in five of us upon exposure. And the copper found in some LEDs can pose an environmental threat if it accumulates in rivers and lakes where it can poison aquatic life.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
I am the odd man out. We replaced all the edisons with CFLs in 2007. Had one burn out since then.

Installed LEDs to replace halogen tracklights. 2 of 8 are dead within six months....
My CFL's last so long I'm very pleased with them, (and I had stocked up) I have about 15 years worth of bulbs in the cupboard, plus I have 18 LED bulbs (I paid $3 ea a yr ago).

So I won't be buying lights for the rest of my life
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_Cameron View Post
My experience:
LEDs last longer, generally, than CFLs
Both LEDs and CFLs have had failures well before their rated lifetimes (for some bulbs)
+1 on that!!! I just had to replace an LED bulb that was less than a year old (although the box claimed 22 years). They may last longer than incandescence bulbs but not all that much. YMMV. .. . . .
Old 06-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
+1 on that!!! I just had to replace an LED bulb that was less than a year old (although the box claimed 22 years). They may last longer than incandescence bulbs but not all that much. YMMV. .. . . .
What type of warranties are available with LED bulbs?

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
The Dark Side of LED Lightbulbs - Scientific American
From the Scientific American on LED solution issues as possible worse than CFL:

LEDs do have a dark side. A study published in late 2010 in the journal Environmental Science and Technology found that LEDs contain lead, arsenic and a dozen other potentially dangerous substances. LEDs are touted as the next generation of lighting,” says Oladele Ogunseitan, one of the researchers behind the study and chair of the University of California (UC)-Irvine’s Department of Population Health & Disease Prevention. “But as we try to find better products that do not deplete energy resources or contribute to global warming, we have to be vigilant [about] toxicity hazards….”

Ogunseitan and other UC-Irvine researchers tested several types of LEDs, including those used as Christmas lights, traffic lights, car headlights and brake lights. What did they find? Some of the worst offenders were low-intensity red LEDs, which were found to contain up to eight times the amount of lead, a known neurotoxin, allowed by California state law and which, according to researchers, “exhibit significant cancer and noncancer potentials due to the high content of arsenic and lead.” Meanwhile, white LEDs contain the least lead, but still harbor large amounts of nickel, another heavy metal that causes allergic reactions in as many as one in five of us upon exposure. And the copper found in some LEDs can pose an environmental threat if it accumulates in rivers and lakes where it can poison aquatic life.
Wow. I have to remember to stop licking and eating my LED fixtures. I also better stop crushing them and using my blower to distribute the dust in my house.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

If the choice these days is between CFLs and LEDs, aren't LEDs still the relatively less toxic choice? I didn't see an LED hazardous waste disposal box at Home Depot.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Wow. I have to remember to stop licking and eating my LED fixtures. I also better stop crushing them and using my blower to distribute the dust in my house.
Agreed, lots of products contain heavy metals and many are found naturally in the environment. Your computer hardware and circuit boards are heavily laden with precious and non-precious metals, some of which are very toxic. Just don't eat or vaporize your dead LEDs!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #31

I just bought 4 LED lights to replace 4 Halogen 50w bulbs that spotlight my front porch. From 200 watts down to 30 watts. There were several brands and light color. I went with a warm white. Brand prices ranged from $15 a bulb down to $11 a bulb. I got the cheaper priced ones. (Was there any doubt?) I'll keep the boxes and receipts in case they fail.

I'll be replacing lights as they burn out, but those halogen lasted 8 years and of the 4, only 2 are burned out. Not sure what I'll do with the other two that are still intact. Any ideas? I'd not replace them, except I want all the lights to look the same on the porch.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Not sure what I'll do with the other two that are still intact. Any ideas?
Have they got a standard base that can screw into a portable clamp-on light? They make good spot heaters in the winter, etc. Maybe not much use in Placerville (CA).
Otherwise, hang on to them so you can show your grandkids how we used to make light using just hot wires.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #33

We swapped our highest use lamps to LED. Also any CFLS (that were rated dimmable) to LEDs - because LEDs handle a dimmer switch better.

But our lesser used lamps are still CFL. As the CFLs die, we'll replace them with LED... but I don't see any reason to change out a working, already efficient, bulb.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #34
Administrator

About 8-9 years ago, we switched all our incandescents to CFL and saw a big drop in electricity usage. Now, as and when a CFL burns out, we replace it with an LED. I prefer the light from the LEDs.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #35
gone traveling

I'm curious, has anyone managed to get any deals (current or past) for LEDs
CFLs are a dime a dozen, but I don't often see much for LEDs
I think some cities and states offer rebates, but I've never been that fortunate

I was able to jump on 20 of these last year for about $3.50 each
But that's it

VerbatimĀ® 9.5 Watt A19 LED Light Bulb (60 Watt Equivalent), Soft White, Dimmable | StaplesĀ®
richfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #36

Daylateanddollarshort ...if CFLs were burning out as fast as incandescents, you have a situation where you have either gotten the world's worst CFLs or have had the world's best incandescents.

LEDs will replace all other lighting as time goes on ...sort of the march of technology, but initially it will be cost and utility driven.

It will make huge differences in the total power usage for every house ... Even total electrical panel size will decrease ...and amazing change, yes?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Daylateanddollarshort ...if CFLs were burning out as fast as incandescents, you have a situation where you have either gotten the world's worst CFLs or have had the world's best incandescents. ...
I've had some CFLs that went out quicker than filament bulbs, some that lasted much longer. There's a circuit in there, many parts, so some early failures would not be unusual.

Quote:
LEDs will replace all other lighting as time goes on ...sort of the march of technology, but initially it will be cost and utility driven.

It will make huge differences in the total power usage for every house ... Even total electrical panel size will decrease ...and amazing change, yes?

Yes, that is an amazing concept. Can you explain it further for us?

This site says that lighting accounts for ~ 12% of home electrical usage.

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...pr_where_money

So even infinitely efficient LEDs would provide a 12% reduction in home power (is that huge?). Panels generally come in 200A, 100A, and 60A sizes. I'm finding it tough to count on a panel size drop for a 10% ~12% change. So please enlighten us (use an LED of course)!

Or another way to look at it - if I had TWENTY 60W filament bulbs burning (why would I do that?), they are drawing 10A - again, not enough to resize a panel, is it?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Daylateanddollarshort ...if CFLs were burning out as fast as incandescents, you have a situation where you have either gotten the world's worst CFLs or have had the world's best incandescents.
I am unclear why the need for the snarky comment because my experience with CFLs doesn't match yours. Longevity seems to be a common issue among many CFL users from what I have read.

From House Logic -

"If there’s one topic that has people talking, it’s CFL lighting. Here are just a few of the comments HouseLogic has received about CFL longevity or the lack thereof"

CFLs: Are Your New Bulbs Burning Out? | Light Bulbs for Home

and

"Get used to frequent recycling. One of the biggest myths in all the CFL hype is the rated life of the bulb. You'll see blog post and article after article repeating the same misleading "fact" that you will get 6,000 or more hours of life from the CFL. Well, both consumer complaints and lab research are showing how untrue this is....If the CFL is used with 5 to 30 minute use cycles like most incandescents, the life is reduced 70% to 85%. That means your 6,000 hour bulb is now lasting 900 hours, less than many incandescent bulbs."

http://homerepair.about.com/od/elect...ecycling_3.htm
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 06-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This site says that lighting accounts for ~ 12% of home electrical usage.
I don't know what percent lighting was for our usage, but once we got the smart meters and we could see were we were using electricity hour by hour, most of those charts, for us anyway, were really not true.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I don't know what percent lighting was for our usage, but once we got the smart meters and we could see were we were using electricity hour by hour, most of those charts, for us anyway, were really not true.
It is like the constant quote I see about home car washing. A common one says, "The average person uses 100 gallons of water to wash the car at home." I heard this time and time again, quoted by our dutiful local media, during our last big drought about 6 years ago.

I say, WHAT?

Turns out that is true if you turn on your hose and just let it run uncontrolled the whole time you wash your car for the average 10 minutes it takes.

Really, how many people leave a hose running without a control sprayer these days? Seriously.

When it comes to "averages" of water, gas or electricity quoted in media, I am very wary of such numbers. There is always an agenda behind them.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote