Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiretired2008 View Post
I was surprised that there were not more charitable uses suggested...
I don't doubt that people here already give money to charities, but sometimes you can be charitable by spending money, too. For example (and personally, I hated office parties), think of all the company holiday parties that were cancelled after 9/11 and the money donated to charities. But that decision hurt all the people who worked at the hotels and restaurants and caterers and all the other stuff that go along with those parties (musicians, decorators, photographers, etc.).

In fact, having a blowout party with a great band would be a great way to spend $10,000. I nominate Sarah in SC, who has awesome parties down in Charleston, to host .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
Personally, I do not enjoy sitting on a ship watching the ocean. I have to go ashore.

Compare sitting on a ship to the adventure of RV'ing across Alaska, looking for a place to park overnight, watching over your shoulder for bears... What a thrill! How about crossing Siberia?
We went across the Atlantic once on Regent line. 8 days at sea was fun, great workouts, cooking classes, had my daughter and broher with us, so good company. It was quite relaxing too. Not for everyone for sure. RV'ing definately not my cup of tea.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmm... Cooking classes. Family and friends as company. Perhaps I should reconsider.

Still, people have different interests and that's a good thing. Life would be very boring if we are all alike. Even RV'ers do not all go to the same places.

Some people like to go on an African safari. No, not me. Good thing my wife does not like it either. I am still working on her about the Alaskan RV trip. Siberia is very far-fetched right now, and way, way down the list and not likely to happen. Just a pipe dream, but more to my liking than climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. Yes, we are all different.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

All this talk about cruises reminded me of this couple with whom we shared the dinner table at the last cruise we took.

This nice couple along with a son were taking this cruise itinerary as the 4th or 5th time. Each year, they flew to Florida to go on the same week-long Caribbean itinerary on this Royal Caribbean ship. The husband was a professor at a medicine school. Surely, they could have tried something different each year, but no. I guess they found what worked for them, so did not bother to change.

And then, a stewardess volunteered that on the ship, there was an elderly wealthy woman from New York who would book a nice suite on the ship for an extended period like a month or two every summer. She just stayed in her suite, and had food brought up. One night, she did not feel well and did not eat much, and the crew noticed that. As a special customer, she was paid a visit by the ship captain to make sure she was all right.

I guess I am the type who likes to have some variety.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #125

After a long weekend of shopping for a new bed, and finally deciding on a Sleep Number split King with an adjustable base, I am dangerously close to spending $10K. I'll have some change, but not as much as I would have expected. Yikes, mattresses are expensive!
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

About a month ago, in the NY Times, Elizabeth Dunn wrote about a study that found that giving gifted money to others made you feel better than just spending it. In the study, $20 in an envelope was handed out with either instructions to spend it on yourself, or instructions to spend it on someone else. The second group reported being happier with the result than the first group.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/op...pagewanted=all

I donate less than I would like to. I'd donate the $10K by spreading it around to some hard working single parents, one dedicated middle school teacher, the shelter for battered people, and a couple of food banks in my economically depressed community. It would help a lot of people, while making me feel good too. I'm a philanthropist, but only with two digit amounts of money.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
It would help a lot of people, while making me feel good too. I'm a philanthropist, but only with two digit amounts of money.
I've found that it's far less satisfying than I expected.

If I'm not going to spend it, and if I haven't figured out a good way to give it away, then...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've found that it's far less satisfying than I expected.
I find I get a lot more satisfation out of giving time than money (although we do that too).

Unfortunately, slightly hampered by still w#$king.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #129
gone traveling

$10K would just about cover the cost to replace my 19 yo cedar fence, which has seen better days.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
Hmm... Cooking classes. Family and friends as company. Perhaps I should reconsider.

Still, people have different interests and that's a good thing. Life would be very boring if we are all alike. Even RV'ers do not all go to the same places.

Some people like to go on an African safari. No, not me. Good thing my wife does not like it either. I am still working on her about the Alaskan RV trip. Siberia is very far-fetched right now, and way, way down the list and not likely to happen. Just a pipe dream, but more to my liking than climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. Yes, we are all different.
Speaking of African safari, we are planning one for next year. Totally agree that each person has their own priorities and tastes and that is what makes an interesting world. Kilimamjaro definately not on our list. An associate did this a while back and the story did not encourage me. Mostly for those with something to prove, I think.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Like at least one other person here, I don't want things anymore for the most part. Face it, most if not all here could afford to part with $10K, yet we don't. As I recall, the OP sorta splurged on a new car when she retired. Why not?

And if $10K landed in my lap for no reason, I'd just save & invest it. If someone held a gun to my head, it would go toward an experience, and travel would probably be a big part of that (always curious to see Bali or New Zealand, but probably never will)...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I don't doubt that people here already give money to charities, but sometimes you can be charitable by spending money, too. For example (and personally, I hated office parties), think of all the company holiday parties that were cancelled after 9/11 and the money donated to charities. But that decision hurt all the people who worked at the hotels and restaurants and caterers and all the other stuff that go along with those parties (musicians, decorators, photographers, etc.).

In fact, having a blowout party with a great band would be a great way to spend $10,000. I nominate Sarah in SC, who has awesome parties down in Charleston, to host .
Hmmm - you know the inner child in me blows $200 plus every year on fireworks. Now add a band and amp up the pyro part. BYOB and Potluck dish(more $ for pyro and perhaps the band).

heh heh heh - this thread has convinced me. Yes I could blow 10k.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

The issue with spending money to buy pleasures is that most of us have learned to ask if we would really enjoy it, or is it going to merely complicate life even further? And how much can we really appreciate or enjoy new things, either "stuff" or experiences?

Many posters like to spend a lot of money on photographic equipment. Imagine someone like Buffet or Gates. They can buy the very best that money can buy, and heck, they could even order custom equipment if they wanted to. I imagine Canon or Nikon would love to give them some free custom equipment just to get their endorsement. The problem is Buffet or Gates may not care to spend hours running Photoshop to tweak a photo like we do. To truly enjoy or appreciate something, it may take more time and devotion than just money. And time is limited.

Similarly, Gates and Buffet can buy the very best sport cars, the very best skiing equipment, the best surfboards (I know, I know, you cannot picture Buffet nor Gates competing with Nords, but work with me here). What the heck do they do with all that? Where do they get the time to really master all these toys, to really appreciate all that?

My point is that one can reach the diminishing return point fairly quickly. And whatever endeavor one decides to pursue, there is always a cost effective way to obtain some pleasures without having to spend as much as people with deeper pockets.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The issue with spending money to buy pleasures is that most of us have learned to ask if we would really enjoy it, or is it going to merely complicate life even further? And how much can we really appreciate or enjoy new things, either "stuff" or experiences?

Many posters like to spend a lot of money on photographic equipment. Imagine someone like Buffet or Gates. They can buy the very best that money can buy, and heck, they could even order custom equipment if they wanted to. I imagine Canon or Nikon would love to give them some free custom equipment just to get their endorsement. The problem is Buffet or Gates may not care to spend hours running Photoshop to tweak a photo like we do. To truly enjoy or appreciate something, it may take more time and devotion than just money. And time is limited.

Similarly, Gates and Buffet can buy the very best sport cars, the very best skiing equipment, the best surfboards (I know, I know, you cannot picture Buffet nor Gates competing with Nords, but work with me here). What the heck do they do with all that? Where do they get the time to really master all these toys, to really appreciate all that?

My point is that one can reach the diminishing return point fairly quickly. And whatever endeavor one decides to pursue, there is always a cost effective way to obtain some pleasures without having to spend as much as people with deeper pockets.
I think it depends on the nature of one's hobby or passion. Certain fields can use unlimited amounts of money (art anyone?) even in the one hobby I derive great pleasure from (music reproduction aka "stereo's) its not at all unusual to have systems in the hundred's of thousands of dollars and some people go to the extent of building special music rooms. I've listened to a quarter of a million dollar stereo - very nice. wouldn't mind having it But of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That system wouldn't merit a second look from most people that don't share that particular madness.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

I have not listened to a $250K stereo to see if I could tell the difference. But even if I could, I would not buy it unless I were super rich.

See, I believe in diversification, even in hedonic pursuits. I like to sample different things, and with my limited means, I cannot afford to go first class in anything. A bit here, a bit there, that's how I spread my meager 3.5% WR.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #136

Quote:
I have not listened to a $250K stereo to see if I could tell the difference. But even if I could, I would not buy it unless I were super rich.

See, I believe in diversification, even in hedonic pursuits. I like to sample different things, and with my limited means, I cannot afford to go first class in anything. A bit here, a bit there, that's how I spread my meager 3.5% WR.
I know. Suffer we must...
Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Ignorance is bliss. I do not suffer because I have not taken a listening test to that quarter-million system like you have. See how I protect myself?

Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #138

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss. I do not suffer because I have not taken a listening test to that quarter-million system like you have. See how I protect myself?
You are wise...
Old 08-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

On the other hand, I do not know what brilliance is, I do not know how wonderful something can be. I have surrounded myself with mediocrity. Life of a brute animal, I have led.

I think I will go eat some bacon now. That should cheer me up.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think what really changed my perspective was having to clean out my Dad's file cabinets and his apartment. Then I look around our house at all the crap we have-- "but I might need that someday!" And then I decide that I don't really want to burden my daughter with the same janitorial inheritance.

Quote:
I think one of the reasons that those two guys are so rich is because they don't surf. I know we surfers claim that the surf forecast forces us to be good time managers and stay focused to get things done so that we can go surfing, but I also resent having activities (like meetings) scheduled for times of the day when I'd rather be surfing.

Have you seen the Gizmodo article on Steve Wozniak's backpack?
The Amazing Contents of Steve Wozniak's Travel Backpack

I almost called "urban legend" on the article because I can't believe that the guy carries his own luggage, let alone flies on public aviation-- or even travels that much. But yet here's one of the world's top engineers who can't get beyond the end of his block without enough hardware to power practically any of his electronics no matter what the source of the electricity.

I'd hate to see what would happen if he had to go camping for a week and be alone without bandwidth. Talk about being hostage to a bad case of George Carlin's "stuff".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote