Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Having been denied travel, and not caring for electronic toys like iSomething, I guess I would have to spend it on consumables.

Oh, given enough time, I will eat and drink through $10K. It's just the matter of time, oui? But if you hold a clock against me, then I would have to buy expensive stuff. Drink like Kopi Luwak and food like caviar? Well, no. I do not care for those.

I'll think of something. One does not have buy first-class throughout to spend $10K, really. A couple of nice bottles of XO Cognac, a few bottles of single-malt whiskey for me to learn what it is all about, and yes, there's got to be a reason people are raving about tequila, the expensive stuff of course. Aged rum too. They all go into my shopping cart. If I like something, then I will buy a case (Oops, better check to see if the $10K is holding up). And I am not even talking about food stuff yet.

Jamon iberico and foie gras. Where's that steak order place? And did someone mention a Web site for good old boudin noir? Even nutria. I had planned to go to Baton Rouge or LaFayette to try nutria in a restaurant, but since I am not allowed to spend money for gas for my RV, I guess nutria will have to come to me. Better order some Kobe beef and lobsters to be FedEx'ed as backup, since there's no guarantee this nutria will work out for me. Is there any way one can order Cuban cigars? Well, perhaps not. Maybe my wife wants some fancy chocolate. She does not normally wear perfume, but perhaps I should surprise her.

Yes, siree, I do not have to go on travel to spend $10K. I do not even have to leave the home to shop. They will ship to me.

Can I have another $10K?

PS. I have been seeing ads from D'Artagnan, an online source for gourmet meats, appearing on screen. Do they think this $10K thread is for real, that checks have been mailed out to forum members? Lordy, a $10K check does not last long at that place.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a small home a couple of blocks from the beach, the best neighbors live next to us, our medical expenses are taken care of by Medicare and Tricare, I have plenty of projects, hobbies, and volunteer work to keep me busy, and I just retired so we can travel a few places before it's too late. I really don't know what else I would like to buy that would make me any happier.

My wife has always been great about being frugal and we have never argued about money. I guess I would give it to my wife and watch her have a good time with it. I've been saving my allowance for 25 years now so maybe I will do that anyway. Thanks for the idea. This could be fun.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is an easy one for me:

I would restore my first car, my blue '76 Monte Carlo. Totally refurbish the exterior. New paint, seals, vinyl, parts alignment, etc. Why is this easy? Cuz I'm currently in the process of saving up $10k to do just that.

Yes, I know it is utterly frivolous, and definitely NOT LBYM. And I am VERY LBYM, saving 20-25% per year. I'm 40. The house is paid for. College savings and retirement are in a good place. I've been wanting to do this for years: driving the car makes me happy, no matter my current mood. Gotta enjoy life too!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #164
Confused about dryer sheets

Spend it jointly with my wife:

A nice dinner & concert (like Emmylou Harris coming to Scanton PA 9/19)
Replacement of our bed
Replacement of our RPTV
Stash the rest in our savings account.
Stillninetofivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have been seeing ads from D'Artagnan, an online source for gourmet meats, appearing on screen. Do they think this $10K thread is for real, that checks have been mailed out to forum members? Lordy, a $10K check does not last long at that place.
Costco often carries D'Artagnan product available for on-line ordering and shipping included. Won't break the bank. I hadn't ordered any duck confit yet because I need to share with a neighbor - I don't have that much freezer space available at the moment.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick2012 View Post
I would buy a custom baritone ukulele and I'd make an offer on LeavingOhio's Les Paul, if its vintage.
No offense, but if I ever buy a Les Paul, I'm not selling it!
LeavingOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #167
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Costco often carries D'Artagnan product available for on-line ordering and shipping included. Won't break the bank.
That's good to know. We buy online but the prices including shipping are steep. This looks like a good option.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #168
Dryer sheet aficionado

Since travel toys and travel itself are out, it would be extra principle on our mortgage. Saves us $768 in interest and cuts off 2 full and one partial month of payments off our already beefed up principle schedule.

Cass
CMH in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

I would pay for my wedding (scheduled spring '14). To work around travel restrictions, if DW-to-be's father rebates wedding spending, would use rebate to travel - would like to do Kilimanjaro for 2 weeks for honeymoon.
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote