Life insurance help for a friend

tmitchell

Recycles dryer sheets
I’ve got a friend couple (61, 43) who asked me about life insurance recently, and I really didn’t know how to answer since I only had it once when I was working for a corporation and it was included in my package. I don’t have kids and my assets go to my partner on death so not something I’ve researched or have myself.

Basically they are both living paycheck to paycheck. The older has health issues including neuropathy in the feet which now prevents him from standing long term, which is what he did previously at job. He’s working to shift careers and driving Uber to pay the rent for now while he trains for a sit down career. His partner is a massage therapist who has a bad heart with a valve replaced and is on blood thinners. They like to joke about who will go first, and hence recently came to me to ask about life insurance.

My question is whether life insurance is the best route? And is there a best “kind” or way to purchase? Or would it be better to just invest the monthly amount? They are each concerned about leaving the other penniless. I know the older one will be able to take SS in a few years and there will be some survivor benefit. My instinct is that they don’t have the discipline for regular investing but that a “bill” for life insurance would be handled ok.

Talking to them reminded me just how fortunate I’ve been in my financial life. I’m grateful I’m not faced with such hard decisions any more.

Any advice appreciated thank you.

I'll cut to the chase...given their issues very unlikely they will pass underwriting for any significant amount of life insurance..

I'll cut to the chase...given their issues very unlikely they will pass underwriting for any significant amount of life insurance..

other than 'guaranteed issue' whole life (example...Colonial Penn...the '$9.95 Plan'). and, dollar for dollar that type of LI is very expensive'.

Interesting, thanks all.

I actually ran some numbers for the older of the two. $150/mo for a $25k policy. Invested in a balanced mix, that would be about the same as 10 years of investing.

Basically burial insurance at that point I guess!

Interesting, thanks all.

I actually ran some numbers for the older of the two. $150/mo for a $25k policy. Invested in a balanced mix, that would be about the same as 10 years of investing.

Basically burial insurance at that point I guess!

Guaranteed issue?

They actually might qualify for a small face policy for up to $50k but probably would be rated substandard, which means it would be very expensive. Better off just take that premium they would pay and throw it into a HYSA. And sign up for any life insurance offered through work, so at least they have that coverage while they work and save.

Of course the challenge is will they have the discipline to save. Also are they maxing out all retirement accounts? That’s another way to have forced savings.

The person in his 40s also be able to get term insurance, but chances are high the older partner will go first, who can’t get term on the open market at this point. Term issue ages go up to 55 or 60 I think.

So they should get what life insurance they can from work, and meanwhile save aggressively what they can.

Back
Top Bottom