Life of Social Security Fund ??

pb4uski, you are right that I could live a lot longer. I will be 62 next year so it's coming soon. However, while I don't think the government is going to 'get rid' of SS, they may have to do some cuts. However, I'd probably put all of the money in equities and if future returns come anywhere close to past, I'll be better off...though I could lose it as well...

It is a trade off, I get it. I'll still have the 62 amount however so I'm not risking it all...And I do have other money - I've been retired for a long time.

...However, I'd probably put all of the money in equities and if future returns come anywhere close to past, I'll be better off...though I could lose it as well...

You might want to consider this:

Vanguard’s outlook for financial markets

Our 10-year annualized nominal return and volatility forecasts are shown below. They are based on the December 31, 2022, running of the Vanguard Capital Markets Model® (VCMM). Equity returns reflect a 2-point range around the 50th percentile of the distribution of probable outcomes. Fixed income returns reflect a 1-point range around the 50th percentile. More extreme returns are possible.

A table presents Vanguard’s expectations for the ranges of annualized returns, as well as median levels of volatility, for nine classes of equity securities. All the projections are based on the December 31, 2022, running of our Capital Markets Model. The projections are:
econ_market_update_feb_2023_1.svg

Just as Will Rogers only invested in stocks that go up, most people only make assumptions that support their favored outcomes. And that includes me from time to time. IME, that works about as well as Will Rogers investment strategy.

Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
Will Rogers
In these days of inflation and a somewhat depressed stock market, I am very glad to have taken my COLA'd SS benefit at 70. It helps me sleep better at night. My back of the napkin estimate is that if benefits are cut by 25% I will get about the same amount as if I had taken SS at 66. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom