Link to bucket method for withdrawing income at 59 1/2.

Al in Ohio

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Getting close to age 59 1/2. I remember reading a post about methods for withdrawing funds from 401Ks or IRAs into fixed rate investments (bank CDs) etc. for the upcoming year or two or three to avoid or mitigate withdrawals during a down market. Can anyone provide a link or synopsis for doing this?

Getting close to age 59 1/2. I remember reading a post about methods for withdrawing funds from 401Ks or IRAs into fixed rate investments (bank CDs) etc. for the upcoming year or two or three to avoid or mitigate withdrawals during a down market. Can anyone provide a link or synopsis for doing this?

Bucket method is simply asset allocation. The very best descriptions are in books by Rick Ferri. "All About Asset Allocation" is a good one. Also, if you have a free account at Morningstar.com, read any articles by Christine Benz. She covers personal asset allocation and specifically for retirement.

- Rita

What I am doing in this regard is I have an asset allocation of 65/25/10. The 10% is cash equivalent in Vanguard's money market drawing a little over 2%.

I have a few year's distributions sitting there and I will refill it once a year with dividends and/or selling stocks unless we are in a correction or bear. If needed I can leave all investments alone for a couple of years to allow my portfolio to recover before selling.

I've often wondered if the refilling strategy can be simplified as: if equities are below target, then don't rebalance and if equities are above target then do rebalance... and then the same for bonds.

Back
Top Bottom