Live Cheap, Share!

Well, now that we are onto converted airplanes....
elavion_750.jpg

El Avion is a restaurant/bar at Parque Manuel Antonio in Costa Rica. Very cool. We liked it a lot.

The airplane itself figured into the Iran-Contra story.
http://www.elavion.net

I read the linked story on the above C123. It was purchased for a mere $3000. That would have made a good match with the title of this thread: "Live Cheap". The hard part is hauling it away.

Wow! That's all I can say about the inside of that plane-home. If I ever had a chance to own something like that I'd die a happy woman. I love it!:D

I'd love to know what it cost them to do that project? Anyone ever read about how much they invested in that plane-home:confused:?

Sorry for the thread hijack. Let's return to the OP discussion of "Live Cheap!".

It's a good idea. I've asked my kids to stay at home to reap these type of benefits.

But do they?

I do not mind letting my kids stay at home for free, so that they can save the money to build a savings, to have money for a down-payment later if they want a place of their own. It did not work!

My daughter, while finishing up her college degree, had a full-time job doing accounting work. While the pay wasn't great, she should be able to save some money, considering that we provided free room and board, and did not ask her to contribute anything towards household expenses. She did not even have to buy toothpaste, nor TP. Food magically appears in the frig and the pantry, as far as she knew. The concept of one having to pay for electricity, water, Internet, and cable is alien to her. Oh, she did have to pay for her cell phone bill, which we probably couldn't afford to.

OK, so at this point, you will say that we were too soft. Yes, we were. As parents, we wanted her to have some extra cash to build some reserves. But somehow, between eating out, expensive hair cut and hair coloring, nail jobs, and clothes, she managed to spend it all each month.

When she graduated and got a better job, I told my wife that it was time for her to be on her own. It would be the only way she would learn that housing and utilities were not free and inalienable rights guaranteed by the Constitution. And I was tired of nagging.

So, she has been out to her own apartment for a few months now. What a big change! What a surprise, although I had expected this to happen. She is now shopping for groceries, cooks and eats at home. She learns to watch for sales, and knows to raise the thermostat when leaving for work.

Amazing! I have read that people who have kids tend to be less liberal. It is because parents, by observing their own children, learn that it is normal human behavior to be lazy, to slack off, and to "sponge" off others when allowed to. This, I can attest to.

I am feeling prouder and prouder of my daughter. My son's next!

Back
Top Bottom