Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #81
Gone but not forgotten

Real case scenario for living on SS.
Posted earlier in the thread, but thought to get down to the basics of what one can expect from SS, and the basic-basic income that would be available after the deductions for medicare A&B, and then the cost of Medicare D, and finally the cost of a basic healthcare supplement.

Here's what the SS notification looks like, for those who haven't started on SS Mine, and DW's, Which is one half of mine, since her SS quarters and income were less than half of mine... My SS was taken at age 62 (15 years ago) and is the current amount, which includes all adjustments, since 1999. The difference between taking at age 62 and full retirement is 30%.
The dollar amount reflected the maximum input for the best quarters.

Thus, for one person one month basic health and SS net:
$1393 SS Gross
less:
$105 Medicare
$156 Medicare supplement
$ 41 Medicare D
$ 12 Medicare B deductible

Equals $1078/month or $12936 per year for me.

That amount does not cover the co-pay for drugs or any optometry or dental costs.

I do this calculation because it represents what I consider to be the base cost on which to build an austerity budget. Since the average Social Security recipient in 2012 received $1230 gross SS, it would leave for all expenses... $915/month out of which would have to come:

food
rent
uncovered medical costs... drugs, eye care, dental
utilities
transportation
and all other expenses
.................................................. ..................
Beyond this, with no other source of income, a person would have to rely on government or private safety nets.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Love this story. So uplifting. Hope he remains cancer-free and that they enjoy their retirement for many years to come. Thanks for posting it.
I'm glad you like that story...me too! He no longer has any pain and has a very high quality of life.
LeavingOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #83
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyinglife102 View Post
I would imagine the quality of life of these locations is enormously enhanced by the proximity to a college/university. I live near a few and they are a goldmine for all kinds of things to do on the cheap.
Sure. Ever seen a poor state college town? States spend excessively on colleges vs. the rest of their states'spending & thus the benefits of that accrue in those locations.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote