Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Who knows? I'm not about to cough up $31.50 to read it. Did you?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Oh, and you might be interested in the following too:

SpringerLink - Journal Article

Well, I found this part interesting "Pb isotope ratios in plants differed from those in the corresponding soils, suggesting that soils were not the only contamination source of Pb and Cd in plants."

Nope, I'm not coughing up $31.50 to read it. Did you? What did it say?

Quote:
I'm Canadian and can read basic French. Don't do the scientific stuff very well. Et toi?

While I couldn't find a way to read it, the abstract said nothing about plants. Can you tell me what I missed.

Once again, did you read the paper?

Sorry, I thought you might link to an article or thesis published by a University that suggested you could ingest too many heavy metals by eating plants grown in an urban environment.

While it's certainly possible your beliefs may be correct, I'd simply like a more better scientific source than you (unless, of course, you'd like to state your name and scientific credentials). Same as I don't think elected officials should be claiming to understand the science of global warming climate change.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Well I thought that someone demanding scholarly references would have the necessary subscriptions to read scholarly journals... I know I do. But I can't post copyrighted material. Now that you have the references, perhaps you can go to your nearest library and see if they have the journals... And then you can start doing your own research.

By the way I have a PhD in chemistry (analytical chemistry major), a MS in chemical engineering and experience with elemental analysis on environmental samples. Oh, and I can read scientific papers in English, French and German.

But feel free to believe what you want. I don't really care. You have a nice life now.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #24

OK, whatever. Thanks for answering my questions.

Quote:
Well I thought that someone demanding scholarly references would have the necessary subscriptions to read scholarly journals...
Some of us are retired. Better use for our meager incomes.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Oh well, so now I'm aware. Plan to throw caution to the winds today and take the path that is lined with urban-grown fennel. Love to pick some, rub it into my hands and inhale. Smells like black licorice. Ahhhhhhhh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fennel.jpg (28.1 KB, 53 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Eat your weedies:
It's Salad Days for Weeds - WSJ.com

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very nice article there, Cattusbabe.

Talk about foraging, near my 2nd home in the AZ high country is a creek downstream from a trout fishery ran by the State Fish and Game Department. The creek is choked full with watercress. Beautifully green watercress compared to the pathetic bunch I occasionally see in the market. Sadly, there is a posted sign: "No plant picking".

Away from the creek and safely far from that authoritative sign are some wild grape vines. I have not been there in fall to see what kind of fruit they bear, but suspect it would be very sour. However, in late spring, the grape leaves are just beautiful, large and free of the disgusting skeletonizer moth larvae that infest home grown vines. So, we picked some to make grape leaf rolls filled with ground beef+pork, then grilled. Wash that down with some red wine, and you have enjoyed all that the vine has to offer. Yummy!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to be absent here for a while, but this is foraging season you know, and, as I've always said, "A squirrel waits for no man."

Seriously, got some tasty fiddle head ferns, wild onions, and Mr. Gibbon's favorite - wild asparagus - this spring. PLUS - drum roll please - a handful of morel mushrooms.
Ultimate Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Long time no post, my fellow forum member. Welcome back.

Pictures of your home-grown bamboo shoots, please?

Or have you eaten them all?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

So, "Is that a bamboo shoot, or are you just happy to see me again?"

Let me see if I can post a picture.
Ultimate Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote