Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Loan Depot .. refinance??
Old 10-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are trying to rfinance. Anyone use Loan Depot?
They are quoting lowest.
albireo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have used AIM loan and amerisave several times. Never heard of Loan Depot.

But I could not find out their interest rates. Both the other two will show you the range of rates, points, fees, etc.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:21 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
We are trying to rfinance. Anyone use Loan Depot?

They are quoting lowest.

They are no good. Run away. I used them, and all I did was pay fees and they lowballed my appraisal. They did some guarantees but did not follow thru their promises
Old 10-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought they were a broker like lending tree. Do you know the actual lender quoting the low rate?
Old 10-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #5

No. They are brokers. Just don't know that I trust them.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We used them and they were so incompetent it was laughable.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:41 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

In the middle of refi with them now. So far, so good.

As for the low ball appraisal, they hire independent appraisers, so not sure how much control they have there. In my experience there can be huge variations in valuations between different appraisers.
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
... they hire independent appraisers, so not sure how much control they have there. ...
The appraisers know what kind of appraisals the customer wants, so if they want to get hired again they will naturally be tempted to shade the results in the desired way. The same kind of thing happens with professional arbitrators where it's a big company against an individual. The individual has no idea who the arbitrators on the candidate list might be, where the big company knows and will select ones that they feel are favorable. The arbitrator, in turn, knows that the individual is not a repeat customer.

It's really more human nature than anything evil.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
In the middle of refi with them now. So far, so good.

As for the low ball appraisal, they hire independent appraisers, so not sure how much control they have there. In my experience there can be huge variations in valuations between different appraisers.

Is loan depot the lender or have they forwarded you to someone else?
Old 10-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

My understanding is that they are the lender. The loan officer told me that they don’t sell their loans. I’m fairly confident I understood that correctly.

So far, the communication has been great, and the interface for uploading and digitally signing documents has been a breeze. This first part of the process has moved along quite fast. My loan is now with the underwriters and the appraisal has been scheduled. The loan officer told me to expect about a 30 day period where I wouldn’t hear anything as they are very busy and the underwriting process might take that long. I’m not in a hurry, so this didn’t bother me.

Edit: Checked the Loan Estimate. The lender is listed as LoanDepot.com, LLC
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the additional detail.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #12

I am going with Loan Depot. We just locked in on a rate 2.625%.
Submitting all the docs now.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
The appraisers know what kind of appraisals the customer wants, so if they want to get hired again they will naturally be tempted to shade the results in the desired way. The same kind of thing happens with professional arbitrators where it's a big company against an individual. The individual has no idea who the arbitrators on the candidate list might be, where the big company knows and will select ones that they feel are favorable. The arbitrator, in turn, knows that the individual is not a repeat customer.

It's really more human nature than anything evil.
Those days are long gone. Several inches of Federal law (Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice or USPAP) make sure appraisers are assigned at random by an outside organization and appraisers are no longer able to be influenced in the manner you have suggested. Appraisers are probably more regulated now than any other profession.
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut1 View Post
Those days are long gone. Several inches of Federal law (Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice or USPAP) make sure appraisers are assigned at random by an outside organization and appraisers are no longer able to be influenced in the manner you have suggested. Appraisers are probably more regulated now than any other profession.
Interesting. Is this regulation specific to mortgages? My only recent contact with appraisers involved finding one and ordering the appraisal. Just like hiring a plumber or a CPA. In fact we are in the middle of one of those right now involving a piece of lakeshore.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Interesting. Is this regulation specific to mortgages? My only recent contact with appraisers involved finding one and ordering the appraisal. Just like hiring a plumber or a CPA. In fact we are in the middle of one of those right now involving a piece of lakeshore.
Yes. You can still choose an appraiser for other purposes. But the appraisal would not be acceptable for mortgage purposes.
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut1 View Post

The topic of appraisal never came up on my last 2 Refi’s but one was a HARP and now we have so much equity it wouldn’t matter what process was bring used. Before that the automated appraisals were marvels of inconsistency and there was a lot of inaccurate info in the databases being used. Hopefully these new standards will address those issues.