Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2020, 05:49 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjav View Post
Hi... I'm 61 years old, FIRE'd since November 2018. DW is 62 - 2 daughters - a 24 year old and a 21 year old (w/ some special needs).The 24 year old is a teacher at a local high school and moved out to her own apartment in May. We helped her plan for this move, setting her up with all the $'s she needed to make it through the summer (with no teaching income) and worked with her extensively on a budget that would work for her. We gifted her a return of all the rent money she paid to us while living with us since college - including help with buying a new car.

3 months in to her new apartment life - she's in financial trouble. Not enough money to pay September's rent and about $3K on her credit card. After a long, tear-filled phone call yesterday - offered her a 3 year, 1% interest $5,200 loan to give her a clean slate. She needs to work her loan payments into the budget and refrain from all the extra spending that got her in trouble. She went hog-wild on clothing and furnishing the apartment as well as miscellaneous other things she wanted. Despite years of working with her, she has no control over her spending - shopping addiction - warned her multiple times that if she came back to us not being able to pay the rent, it would be a painful conversation - it was (for all of us). Told her that if she gets in trouble again, our only help is pack up the apartment and move back in with us (which none of us wants).

She does have about $26K stowed away in a brokerage account. It's her money, in her name, but, at her request - we manage it and don't give her access to it. Advised her not to draw on that for this situation and to take the loan instead - take the pain to learn the lesson - we hope.

Should mention that we're in the process of selling and building/buying a new home - so our finances are a bit in flux - not crying poverty, but cash flow is important right now - so, lousy timing.

She's working with a therapist on a number of issues right now (including this "shopping issue"). I also advised her to give me her credit card until she gets control of the issue.

So, any other advice? How do we get this girl on the right track?

Thanks
I havenít read anymore than this post and it may have been asked, but how is a 1% loan pain?
SonofCohoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Check out the TrueLink Financial debit card if she wants her spending to be monitored (by you).
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:10 AM   #83

Mitchjav, this is a tough call. Parenting can also be tough.
You and your wife have already gifted her the rent paid to you while she lived there (good try and teaching moment in making her pay you rent), helped her buy a car, and held her hand as you helped make sure she could make it during the 3 months of summer.

She has money, 26K in a brokerage account. Not knowing how that was accumulated I suggest you tell your daughter she will have to use HER brokerage account money for the September rent. The message here is that "she will have to use HERS and not YOURS". It won't break her.

The $3,000 credit card debt requires a bit more thought but I am inclined to think SHE should pay this off monthly. Yes, regardless of the high interest rate fees. How else will she learn that charging something for $300 requires one to pay it back? Yes it might take her a while to pay it off. This may not work if she is not at all disciplined with money. (and that sounds like the story here) In that case, I would also take the the money for the credit card debt out of her brokerage account. Again, the message is that it is HER Money she is blowing thru and not YOURS.

This happened in 3 months. Can you imagine what can happen in a year...or longer?

Save your money because if she can not get this under control she is going to need more help later. If she does get it under control and if you decide to do it, you can always replace the brokerage money by gifting it back later.

It is the teachable moment right now that is important. Make her use HER brokerage money.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #84
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcmagor View Post
Been there, done that. Four years ago, we agreed to help our freshly minted RN DD get into a condo. Signed the purchase agreement and immediately totaled her car. Car payments were not factored into her expected cash flow needs. Then the furnishing began. Ended with a similar sized credit card hole and the tearful phone call.

We agreed she should dig out of the hole herself so that a recurrence was less likely. DW helped develop a budget and was added to her accounts so she could monitor DD's progress. The good news is that DD seems to have found her financial footing and has squirreled away $40k between retirement and brokerage accounts in the meantime. Not bad for a 27 year old considering the 23 year old person she was. Now if we can just keep her from piling up her car....
Tell her to put down the phone and PAY ATTENTION!
Shardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - Tell your daughter she doesn't have to pay the rent, as cannot be evicted.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cd...?mod=home-page

I pity all the poor landlords.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #86

I think young grown adults should do their own budgets and monitor their own accounts. That is how you learn.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #87

This is one of those threads with a lot of opinions and expertise!

A few observations:

1.Credit cards are obviously useful and convenient - but in terms of keeping spending under control are bad news. In the old, old days people learned budgeting using the envelope method - which helped to force proper spending. Having her learn/use similar "modern" day methods might be useful.

2.Never (?) lend to family. If you can't afford to gift it, don't lend it. [This is a do as I say and not what I do kind of thing - I fronted my niece close to 100K for a 1-2 year loan for a property purchase. However, in this case I did at least require a formal mortgage note (filed with the county) so I would at least have the actual land if it went sour.]

3.Children today are endlessly exposed to the "you deserve" life-style. New clothes, furnish the apartment, nice cell phone and car, etc. For many, the idea of sacrifice has been lost. When I left home at the ripe age of 20 for my first real (full time) job, there was absolutely no thought of my own apartment - I shared one, absolutely no though of buying a bunch of furniture (everything was given/old/abused stuff). No recommendation here, just that many young adults have expectations that they shouldn't.

4. Reading these stories about children, loans, unable to control spending, and so on scares the xxxx out of me. Why? Because I have a child - still in school - but if my child isn't able to manage their budget property, it will be a true mess when they end up inheriting my money in the sense that so much will be wasted that they should otherwise do good with and/or enhance the lives of their children.
copyright1997reloaded is online now   Reply With Quote