Join Early Retirement Today

Loaning money
Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Loaning money

Has anyone had success loaning money to non family members?

I am considering it. It would include collateral in the form of an IRA account, a notarized document, and a high interest rate. If it goes to term I should make a few thousand off the transaction.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Pledging an IRA as collateral for a loan is a prohibited transaction and could cause the IRA to be immediately taxable.

Interest rates are governed by state law and you very well could be violating state usury law if you have a high interest rate. For example, in Minnesota a loan from an individual to another individual for personal, family or household purposes cannot bear interest exceeding 8%. Wisconsin I believe the limit is 12%.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be" has guided my decisions in these matters. I have never lent money to anybody, and I have never regretted not lending money. Works for me.

YMMV ("Your Mileage May Vary")

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have loaned money to several friends, up to $10k, simple written agreement,
never any problems.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Pledging an IRA as collateral for a loan is a prohibited transaction and could cause the IRA to be immediately taxable.
Well, it's more of a "If I can't repay the loan, as a last resort, I would withdrawl the money from my IRA to repay you"

I guess we should be careful on the wording of such.

I see that in my state...Legal rate of interest is 6 percent. General usury limit is 6 percent for loans less than $50,000. Criminal usury limit is 25 percent. Judgment rate is 6 percent.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I am not a big lender. A friend is a serial entrepreneur and has asked for $25000. I said I did not mix business with pleasure and I count his friendship more than any money I might make on his scheme.

OTOH a neighbour was in tough times and I gave him $200 for an emergency. No paper, just a handshake. Two years later he returned it. But he is now a friend for life. Money well spent (lent).
Old 07-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Well, it's more of a "If I can't repay the loan, as a last resort, I would withdrawl the money from my IRA to repay you"

I guess we should be careful on the wording of such.

I see that in my state...Legal rate of interest is 6 percent. General usury limit is 6 percent for loans less than $50,000. Criminal usury limit is 25 percent. Judgment rate is 6 percent.
There may be a slightly higher rate than the general usury limit of 6 percent for loans in writing. That is the way most states work.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure you've all heard of this stuff:

The eBay of Money Lending, Microloans Article - Inc. Article
Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
"Neither a borrower nor a lender be" has guided my decisions in these matters. I have never lent money to anybody, and I have never regretted not lending money. Works for me.

YMMV ("Your Mileage May Vary")
Same sentiments here. I don't borrow, and I don't lend. All of my friends are aware of that, and they won't ask.

That's what banks and credit unions are for, and they have much deeper pockets and a higher tolerance of risk than I do.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I lent money once involving a huge moral issue. My best friend got his girlfriend pregnant, and they were both in college and unable to financially support a child. He came to me quite sheepishly and asked for a loan to get an abortion.

Being raised strict Catholic, I was caught up in a moral dilemna. I asked my priest what to do, and he told me to do what my heart told me to.

I ended up giving him the money, and she got the abortion. Fast forward 20 years, and they are married and have 3 beautiful children, and I feel better about it now knowing it turned out ok, but I felt pretty bad about it for several years..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #11

I lent money to friends a few times and only got hit for a few bucks here and there.

Every time I lend money I'm afraid I'm going to end up on Judge Judy.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We've done property loans on 4 different places. Those have all been through a small loan company with a title company involved. All are paying off as agreed with no stress. We've also loaned money to my gal's workmates. About a 1/4 of those loans have flaked out with the borrower getting fired and/or going bankrupt and/or vanishing like the morning mist. The ones that did pay back continue to ask for more loans; in some cases it is very obvious that they are spiraling downward and we stopped loaning, although they keep asking. Awkward. Interest earned on the personal unsecured loans has not begun to cover the amount lost (a couple thousand) through default. In one case I loaned expecting a default and no further contact with the borrower. One of those "friend that you don't want around you" kind of friends. FNBO is a much easier and more profitable kind of deal than personal loans.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #13

I had a good friend that I grew up with and knew since we were kids come to me desperate that he couldn't pay his rent and other expenses for the month due to "unforeseen circumstances."

He asked if I could loan him some money to get him through the month since he didn't know where else to turn. I asked how much he needed and gave it to him with no interest and on a handshake.

He got back on his feet, but never mentioned the loan again. After a year, I asked him if he was able to pay me back now. He said "pretty soon." Another year goes by and I asked again. He paid me 1/10 of what I loaned him and stopped calling me. Yet another year went by, I called him and asked if there was a problem since he hadn't called me in a year and he didn't make an effort to pay me back. He came by, gave me the rest of the money and I never heard from him again.

Never thought a friend like that could be so ungrateful.

Lesson learned: No more "loans" to friends.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #14

IMHO loans to family are "gifts". Loans to friends have a VERY good chance of destroying the friendship. Want to lead money; lend it to a bank or credit union they usually repay on time and with interest.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Has anyone had success loaning money to non family members?
No. And our track record with family members has been even worse.

Quote:
I am considering it. It would include collateral in the form of an IRA account, a notarized document, and a high interest rate. If it goes to term I should make a few thousand off the transaction.
You've just established the price on your friendship, and it sounds to me like you need a new friend. A true friend would never think to ask you for this type of loan. And a good friend would never loan money under these conditions.

IMO you're being exploited. Either give them the money on a handshake and kiss it goodbye, or politely decline and explain that you're barely covering your own expenses. But don't set it up as a business transaction, because it's not a business transaction!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #16

I lent $800 a few years ago to one of my best friends when she was crunched for cash (a breakup led to her paying rent and 1/2 a mortgage for several months). She paid me back about a month later, no problems.

Last weekend, I was in her wedding.
kaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
.... We've also loaned money to my gal's workmates. About a 1/4 of those loans have flaked out with the borrower getting fired and/or going bankrupt and/or vanishing like the morning mist. The ones that did pay back continue to ask for more loans; in some cases it is very obvious that they are spiraling downward and we stopped loaning, although they keep asking. Awkward. Interest earned on the personal unsecured loans has not begun to cover the amount lost (a couple thousand) through default. ....
One might think from the above that my gal isn't much in the money department. Not so. She's a full partner in our rentals in all senses and a much harder worker than i, just kinda a soft touch. She's headed south to take care of her Mom for a few weeks and just informed me that she doubled her money. Folded the hundreds in half as she was stocking her wallet. That's my girl!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I've loaned small amounts of money twice. I was paid back once.

On both occasions, I looked at it like I could afford to lose the money if the loan wasn't paid back.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I've never lent or borrowed money from individuals family or non-family.

While I was married, though, we did gift money to her family on several occasions. We let her parents live with us rent free for about 9 months once to help them get "back on their feet". We gave her brother $4,000 for college. We bought her sister a used car once and delivered it to her across three state lines.

In all three cases, there was no appreciable long-term effect of our gifts. We like to think that we're giving people a leg up when we gift them like this. I think it is more accurate to say that if people want to change their situation in life they are the ones who have to change. I'm sure there are circumstances and situations where this isn't the case (like kaudrey's friend), but I bet it's true more often than not.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

You mean people actually loan money to family members... Interesting, all of my requests have been for loan help with debts and will pay me back sometime later... Of course, if they would not cover the debt then, how will they pay me back. I have not asked for repayment (it wouldn't do any good). Of course, if one asks for money, they must first listen to my lecture. Funny... I haven't been asked for money lately.

Loaning money to friends or co-workers/associates... Nope, Nada, Nein. Oh well, maybe a few bucks... but not any substantial amount of money. I am not a bank. If someone needs to borrow a lot of money from me, they are in financial trouble. Would I ever make an exception? Perhaps, depending on who it was and the situation. But if I did, I would be prepared to gift the money since I would not want to lose the friendship over it if they did not pay it back... The universe of "friends" that I would gift a substantial amount of money is very small.

Now I might make a substantial donation to a friend that is in need due to an expensive medical procedure that is life threatening... the type where people have a drive to raise money.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote