Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
lol I didn't even know there WAS a suit, the 26 cent will go into my td account.
Dang, I got a notice from a ticketmaster settlement that I hadn't heard about but I blew it off. It was a $2.50 credit towards a future purchase so 10X your windfall (provided I give them more business)!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
We use coinstar every couple of rears at our local grocery store.
I don't like the sound of that
Old 04-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't spend it all in one place!
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I remember being part of a class action suit against the airlines back in the early 1990s stemming from some illegal overcharging for tickets on flights taken in the late 1980s (back when I flew a lot). All we got were some $25 vouchers for future flights which had so many conditions and exclusions that they weren't worth the paper they were printed on.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:42 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

The best class action lawsuit direct compensation I received was from one against a mutual fund company where I had funds at one point but had since closed. Apparently they were found to have not have correctly calculated some distributions and overcharged expenses for a couple of funds that I used to own. I received a check for over $300. I never had more than $10K invested with them.

I did benefit from the Saturn Vue transmission class action lawsuit, the transmission died after the settlement was reached, but before GM declared bankruptcy during the great recession and got out of paying further settlement claims. We received a new transmission for $800 that would have cost us $5000 otherwise.

Other than that, nothing but peanuts. I was notified that I was part of some class action lawsuit against Hertz for car rentals in Nevada, but the link to get updated status is dead. Oh well...
Old 04-20-2018, 04:41 AM   #26
Administrator

I was part of a class action lawsuit involving my Honda Civic Hybrid. I got a check for $500 plus two certificates for a $500 rebate on the purchase of a brand new Honda. I was able to sell the two certificates to people who could use them for half price. So I got $1000 cash in total.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:11 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Class action suits are a way to stop behavior that otherwise would continue unabated, and often the only option for consumers. The benefit is the settlement together with the change in business practice.
Exactly!!! Stopping the shady business practice can benefit all consumers.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Exactly!!! Stopping the shady business practice can benefit all consumers.
Notwithstanding that both of my kids are lawyers, I only agree with this in principle. At some point a degree of fairness needs to tamper the fees in these cases. When each injured plaintiff (no matter the degree of financial injury) receives mere cents while the attorney makes huge sum, something is out of kilter.
The attorney is entitled to a reasonable fee. And in many of these class actions the number of plaintiffs in the class are so numerous that even a reduced attorney fee might only result in a truly nominal increase that the individual receives. Nevertheless, some sort of statutory limit on fees would potentially limit the silly class action suits.
Like others here I've received an occasional paltry settlement (I currently have $0.38 credit on my Barnes and Noble account). But I also recall that a number of times the supposed injury was not caused by a malicious act, in the first place. I have a problem, philosophically, with tying up judicial resources for human error class action lawsuits.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Notwithstanding that both of my kids are lawyers, I only agree with this in principle. At some point a degree of fairness needs to tamper the fees in these cases. When each injured plaintiff (no matter the degree of financial injury) receives mere cents while the attorney makes huge sum, something is out of kilter.
The attorney is entitled to a reasonable fee. And in many of these class actions the number of plaintiffs in the class are so numerous that even a reduced attorney fee might only result in a truly nominal increase that the individual receives. Nevertheless, some sort of statutory limit on fees would potentially limit the silly class action suits.
Like others here I've received an occasional paltry settlement (I currently have $0.38 credit on my Barnes and Noble account). But I also recall that a number of times the supposed injury was not caused by a malicious act, in the first place. I have a problem, philosophically, with tying up judicial resources for human error class action lawsuits.
If the credit in your B&N account is from the ebooks price fixing settlement, it will expire at midnight tonight if you don't use it.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I filed with a class action lawsuit on diamond monopoly maybe 15 years ago for my wedding ring and earrings bought 35 and 25 YEARS ago, and followed the lawsuit occasionally over the years. I finally got my settlement check this week. Ten bucks! Ten bucks, gosh how will I spend it!?!?!?!
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I just got back ten bucks from the class action suit for overcharging for diamonds. And I thought that was paltry.
I got that too !
limeyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrats on hitting the big time. I hope you enjoy your retirement years.
Zorwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Be sure to pay taxes on it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Be sure to pay taxes on it.
Of course.

After that, I wonder if she's going to do S&P index, or pssttt... Wellesley.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
So anyone remember those coinstar machines that were everywhere a few years back? well evidently a few banks including mine (TD bank) were sued because the machines were not counting correctly.
I just got my class action suit payment, a grand total of.......

26 cents. It's all mine

I'll invest that for you at 1% per annum. Better deal than Fisher.
(Love the old Bugs Bunny)
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'd have to ask myself "How are they screwing me over?"
jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #37

I just got my $10 diamond settlement check so I am in the money as well.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
GM Ignition Switch Class Action has paid out
Old 11-29-2021, 06:18 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

GM Ignition Switch Class Action has paid out

I figured I'd resurrect this thread since it is about class actions.

I just got a $73.07 payout! My second best class action payout ever.

This was for the GM ignition switch class action. I completely forgot I sent in the paperwork, it was submitted years ago and I haven't had the car for over 8 years. Payouts were from $48.72 to $146.15.

My payout doesn't cover the cost of my repair, which was about $300. But it was something.

At least the payout wasn't a discount on a new car and instead was cash.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:31 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

^ interesting! Always fun to have a pocket full of money, and not having to work for it.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:32 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ interesting! Always fun to have a pocket full of money, and not having to work for it.
We call that "Not money".