Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2021, 05:45 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI Bill View Post
I remember them, but never used one! When I was cleaning out my mom's house in February, we came across coins in virtually every room in the house. After my wife spent hours rolling several hundred dollars (weighing more than 20 pounds), I took them to Bank of America, and cashed them in, but we had run out of wrappers. They said, oh, you don't have to roll them, we'll just put them in a plastic bag and send them to San Francisco for counting, and they'll be credited to your account...no charge!
Does the phrase "Trust us!" sound familiar?

My bank told me the same thing. "Bag your coins and we'll count 'em in a couple of days." They even gave me some empty plastic bags. Somehow, I just haven't gotten around to taking my coins in. BUT, the bags have been handy for potato peelings and ditching left-overs beyond their 3-day limit in the fridge. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2021, 05:58 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I'm waiting on my Blue Cross / Blue Shield settlement money before I plan my next trip to Monaco.
I'm with you on that so I guess we will go there together!!
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:01 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Class action suits are a way to stop behavior that otherwise would continue unabated, and often the only option for consumers. The benefit is the settlement together with the change in business practice.
There is a cost to everything, including class action suits which increase the cost of every product purchased. In some cases it is good, in others it is just a money grab by attorneys that have found an easy way to enrich themselves. I am not naive enough to think they are all improving our lives.

VW
Old 12-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
There is a cost to everything, including class action suits which increase the cost of every product purchased. In some cases it is good, in others it is just a money grab by attorneys that have found an easy way to enrich themselves. I am not naive enough to think they are all improving our lives.

VW
Let us hope that even the threat of such suits tends to keep most companies (relatively) honest with is. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Years ago, we got a voucher for owning one of GM's infamous "saddle-tank" trucks. This one was a 1985 C10 Silverado. Of course, it was made "infamous", thanks to Dateline NBC, who put explosive model rockets under a fuel tank and set it to blow in a staged crash.

<snip>

I can't remember when the Dateline fiasco was exactly...I want to say 1993? Anyway, while the truck was exonerated, I thought it was actually pretty nice of GM to offer that voucher, even though we never used it. I wonder if very many people actually used those vouchers?
Yep, I did.

We got $500 off on my retirement present, a new 2003 GMC 4WD pickup. The old one was a 1985 Chevy model that I'd kept all that time and somehow survived not being blown up. We did not have to trade it in, but redeeming the certificate was a PITA because we'd moved in the meantime and GM wanted to see something with our names and the old address on it. I forget what document we finally found but it worked.

BTW, I still have the 2003 GMC pickup. I guess I'm not very hard on pickup trucks.