Join Early Retirement Today

Long term capital loss carryforward, understanding correctly ?
Old 07-27-2015, 06:09 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Long term capital loss carryforward, understanding correctly ?

Read a dozen website, including below and searched the board.

Question: Long term capital losses can be carried forward and used in future years against long term gains. There's no limit to the amount of carry forward that can be used against future long term gains ? Correct

The $3,000 maximum referenced below is only when long term losses are used against regular income - for that there's a $3,000 annual maximum.

Tax Topics - Topic 409 Capital Gains and Losses

So if a person had:

2014: $40k long term loss, $5k long term gain, $20k W2 income
2015: $15k long term gain, no losses, $20k W2 income
2016: $10k long term gain, no losses, $20k W2 income

Then:
2014: $5k of LT loss offsets $5k gain, $3k LT losses offsets $3k W2 income
($32k of losses left after this)

2015: $15k of LT losses offsets $15k gain, $3k LT losses offsets $3k W2 income ($14k losses left after this)

2016: $10k of LT losses offsets $10k gain, $3k LT losses offsets $3k W2 income ($1k losses after this)

Sorry if I'm stupid.... thanks !
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

looks good to me.
Try throwing in ST gains/losses for your next exercise
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, you understand it correctly.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
Question: Long term capital losses can be carried forward and used in future years against long term gains. There's no limit to the amount of carry forward that can be used against future long term gains ? Correct

The $3,000 maximum referenced below is only when long term losses are used against regular income - for that there's a $3,000 annual maximum.... [stuff deleted]
You are correct and your example if also correct.
Do note that you can carry forward not just long term loss but also short term loss. And, any carry forward loss offsets both long term and short term gains before being applied to ordinary income. There is no limit to how much gains can be offset by carry forward losses.
If you have access to a tax software, try it out and see how it works.
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+1

$1K loss remaining after the 3 years according to my calculation.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your calculations are correct, but for planning purposes please keep in mind that the $3,000 capital loss deduction against ordinary income is generally more valuable than the dollar for dollar offset vs. LTCG. Starting with a $40,000 loss, you could potentially enjoy the $3,000 deduction for over a decade. Instead, you are steadily realizing LTCG and find your $3,000 deduction has almost disappeared after only three tax years. If I were in this situation, I would look into ways to delay realizing capital gains for as many years as possible, thus stretching the $3,000 deduction for as long as possible. In my case, I would probably finance my retirement almost exclusively through taxable 401k distributions to avoid realizing the capital gains.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote