Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Long Term Care Insurance
Old 06-01-2005, 07:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Long Term Care Insurance

I know this topic has been batted around before but I would like to know who all actually owns a policy and if so who with? I bought a fairly cheap plan through work as the company pays for some of the premium, but I think I may drop the plan as the premiums are about to go up. I'm single with no kids so not quite as important for me as it is for someone married with kids. I should be abe to fund my own nursing care assuming it's not a 15-20 year stay. * My sister in law is considering buying a plan as she has 3 kids(spouse deceased) and would like to leave them something. What are your thoughts on the subject?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Lont Term Care Insurance
Old 06-01-2005, 07:58 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DOG,

I bought coverage for the two of us 6 years ago, age 52 and 51. The policy is with CNA, who has a history of jacking up rates dramatically.

http://www.aarp.org/bulletin/longter...igpremium.html

The information on big CNA rate hikes did not come out until after we bought our policies (of course). We are OK for now, as the initial rates are guaranteed for the first 10 years. But I'm prepared for the worst when the guarantee period ends. If it is as bad as I think it will be, I'm considering dropping my coverage and keeping the policy on my DW. Although neither of us has any serious health problems, her family history says the odds are she will be more likely to need the policy than me. (My side of the family tends to expire quickly when the end comes.)

IMHO, LTC insurance is a real crapshoot. Just don't know if you are better off with it or without it.

REW
Old 06-01-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Re: Long Term Care Insurance

Husband and I have a policy with Allianz - paid up in 10 years.* We purchased it in our late 50s.* *My parents purchased policies from GE and have used them both.

A good way to evaluate policies in general is to look at OPM's LTC program on the net.* None of the premum is supported but OPM vetted the contracts and providers.*

Based on my experiance with those in my family who are further along life's track... a person without family members one generation (at least) younger to oversee their care are left to the whims of others.* IMHO a long term care policy will at least give you options when you need help.*

Another option is to move into a continuing care community, particularly one that is non-profit and well endowed.* These facilities cost a bundle at move-in but when your care needs increase the costs are lower, and your friends are nearby.*
Old 06-01-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
DOG,

I bought coverage for the two of us 6 years ago, age 52 and 51.* The policy is with CNA, who has a history of jacking up rates dramatically.*

http://www.aarp.org/bulletin/longter...igpremium.html

The information on big CNA rate hikes did not come out until after we bought our policies (of course).* We are OK for now, as the initial rates are guaranteed for the first 10 years.* But I'm prepared for the worst when the guarantee period ends.* If it is as bad as I think it will be, I'm considering dropping my coverage and keeping the policy on my DW.* Although neither of us has any serious health problems, her family history says the odds are she will be more likely to need the policy than me.* (My side of the family tends to expire quickly when the end comes.)

IMHO, LTC insurance is a real crapshoot.* Just don't know if you are better off with it or without it.

REW
No-brainer for us. Can't afford it. Didn't buy it.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
My parents purchased policies from GE and have used them both.
Uh oh...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG50
I know this topic has been batted around before but I would like to know who all actually owns a policy and if so who with? I bought a fairly cheap plan through work as the company pays for some of the premium, but I think I may drop the plan as the premiums are about to go up. I'm single with no kids so not quite as important for me as it is for someone married with kids. I should be abe to fund my own nursing care assuming it's not a 15-20 year stay. * My sister in law is considering buying a plan as she has 3 kids(spouse deceased) and would like to leave them something. What are your thoughts on the subject?
My father (widower, age 71) seems happy with a John Hancock policy, which as of last year provides more benefits at lower premiums than the federal govt's long-term care policy. I've since seen other nice words about Hancock.

My grandfather fully self-funded his own LTC... from 1988 through 2002. He succumbed to viral pneumonia at age 97, only a year short of achieving Medicaid eligibility. So he was just a little shy of your goal, although he probably should have entered the facility in 1985!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The last three weeks were pretty hectic; then yesterday we put dad, 88 yo, in a nursing home close to my sister (we are a modern family with the four siblings living 350, 800, 1400, and 3000+ miles away from dad's apartment). *He has lived well independently in an apartment (including cooking, cleaning and driving) until about a month ago when dementia made *him, on and off, a different person. *It is not to be recommended.* We had to quickly find a place close to one of us which would accept him while drawing down his last bit of cash - the options are slim if he had had no available cash to supplement his SS.

DW and I signed up for the OPM LTC insurance (administered by Long Term Care Partners, LLC and offered by John Hancock and Metlife) just before we retired two years ago at age 60 and 62. *The word was out that LTC Ins is unnecessary if you retired either with very few assets or as a multi-millionaire; if you are in the middle somewhere you may reasonably be a candidate for LTC Ins. *With pensions, properties, IRAs and savings, we figured it would be appropriate for us, since - in brat's excellent words - "...long term care policy will at least give you options when you need help..."

Mainly, we chose LTC because we've heard all the stories of a someone running ragged caring for their ill spouse at home because they didn't have other care options short of bankrupting the family to qualify for medicaid. *We just want to be able to keep those acceptable options open in case it's needed - like any other insurance - so that we can continue to enjoy this RE lifestyle. *

For us, inheritance for our kids is not intended as a benefit here. *

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Husband and I have a policy with Allianz - paid up in 10 years.* We purchased it in our late 50s.* *My parents purchased policies from GE and have used them both.

A good way to evaluate policies in general is to look at OPM's LTC program on the net.* None of the premum is supported but OPM vetted the contracts and providers.*

What is OPM; the website?? thanks
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #9

Lyn and I have LTC policies with GE and are on a fixed pay as you
go plan.

Cheers,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Just hope you dont ever have to make a warranty claim on those policies Charlie. Actually I hope you never have to lay a claim at all!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

OPM = Office of Personnel Management

This is the HR org that serves Federal employees and retirees.* They contract for health insurance, for example.* Several years ago they were authorized to research long term care insurance. The policy they approved (not taxpayer supported) is not the cheapest as they set high standards for the policy and the vendor.* However, the site is a good baseline to evaluate policies available to us all.

http://www.opm.gov/insure/ltc/

We purchased a 'paid up' policy.* The same result could be achieved by purchasing a regular policy and an annuity to pay the premium.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #12

I purchased my LTC insurance last year age 56 from Unum Provident. 2 weeks after I signed the contract, they eliminated the indemnity coverage that I got. Their new product for me would have cost $500 more. I am sure they will continue to increase their prices for new LTC customers. My LTC budget has a built in 20% increase every 4 years. Unum has not increased their rates to existing customers for over 7 years. I expect to see an increase in the next 2 to 3 years.
With my lower income starting next year, the Fed and NYS will be paying 35% of my annual cost through the LTC tax deduction, so it will be cheaper than either my home or auto insurance.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I would expect to see a large increase from Unum (like 50%), especially if long term interest rates stay low.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:16 PM   #14

No one has mentioned how much his/her plan costs.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #15

I think it was 'Bob Smith' and his wife that bought LTC plans for about 15,000 each, cash up front. Might be cheaper to check into paying in advance.. They might have been in their late 50s when they purchased the plans. Since he doesn't post her any longer, it would be hard to confirm.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
My wife and I got LTC policies from CNA 6 years ago at ages 51 and 52. The policies provide for $100 per day for nursing home care (with automatic 5% escalation) and $50 per day for in-home care. There is a 30 day exclusion and no lifetime limit on coverage. The premiums are $678 (wife) and $862 (me) per year. There have been no premium increases so far. Alzheimer's runs in my family. My mother spent two years in a nursing home before her death. It is possible that our assets will reach a point where we can self-insure and drop the policies but we are not there yet. In the mean time I consider this prudent protection of a portion of our assets.

Grumpy
Old 06-02-2005, 03:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Like Grumpy, our CNA policies were purchased 6 years ago at ages 51 and 52. $100 per day, 5% escalation, $700 per week home care. Maximum lifetime benefit of $110K. Premiums are $584 each, guaranteed for 10 years.

REW
Old 06-02-2005, 06:43 PM   #18

Quote:
My policy has a 5% compounded increase. Depending on the daily cost of either a nursing home, assisted living or home care, it sould cover me from 3 to 10 years.
My annual cost is "currently" $1366. Next year, if the cost remains the same, it will be $945 after LTC tax deduction.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Like Grumpy, our CNA policies were purchased 6 years ago at ages 51 and 52. $100 per day, 5% escalation, $700 per week home care. Maximum lifetime benefit of $110K. Premiums are $584 each, guaranteed for 10 years.

REW
Does the lifetime benefit of $110K also escalate at 5% per year? If not, your original three years of coverage is down to about 2.25 years. My policy has no lifetime limit which is why my premiums are significantly higher than yours. Just curious.

Grumpy
Old 06-03-2005, 09:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Does the lifetime benefit of $110K also escalate at 5% per year? If not, your original three years of coverage is down to about 2.25 years. My policy has no lifetime limit which is why my premiums are significantly higher than yours. Just curious.
The maximum daily, weekly and lifetime benefits all increase by 5% each anniversary date. We chose the three year coverage based on personal experience with my parents (2 years for my mom, 6 months for my dad) and DW's mom (2.5 years). It's all a crapshoot.....

Does you policy include any type of premium increase guarantee?

REW