Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for tax strategies against the RMD of IRAs
Old 10-27-2007, 01:14 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking for tax strategies against the RMD of IRAs

Is there a way to directly transfer money from an IRA into an education type of IRA (Coverdell??) for grandkids education, without incurring taxable event and still satisfy the RMD requirement. If so, then hopefully, it would not increase my taxable AGI once the RMDs kick in on the IRA at 70 1/2, and could provide a benefit to heirs as well, who would end up with the funds eventually anyway.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2007, 03:50 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good luck in finding a way to do that. If you do, be sure to post it here. Frankly, I doubt there is a way to avoid or even mitigate the taxes on a traditional IRA that has previously untaxed funds in it. May want to look up the threads on moving T-IRA funds to a ROTH staying within your current tax rate; that is the only way to mitigate the RATE of taxes that I know of.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't think so. Most of the usual tax dodges only apply to earned income, which RMDs aren't.

The only think I can think of is Roth conversions before your RMDs kick in, but depending on your current tax rate, that might not help much.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Now I have to admit..... this is really stretching it when someone wants to defer taxes...

But I am in the NO camp.. at least not without breaking the rules...

Remember.. the RMD is REQUIRED minimum distribution, kind of limits you.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't think so. Most of the usual tax dodges only apply to earned income, which RMDs aren't.

The only think I can think of is Roth conversions before your RMDs kick in, but depending on your current tax rate, that might not help much.
Ditto! Yep! Amen! If someone has a better plan - I'm all ears - cause for all practical purposes a Traditional IRA is my retirement - at least the 60% or so of income provided by portfolio. 6 yrs to RMD - 23% tax bracket(if I take 5% variable). 8% of total in Roth and 15% in taxible dividend stocks.

I play with ORP - The Optimal Retirement Planner - still get a goodly hit tax wise - single, standard deduction.

heh heh heh - soooo anybody got a cute strategy?

Pssst - other than a house with a big mortgage and taking in female boarders!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

No, it isn't going to work.

At best, take the RMD, pay taxes, and put the unneeded money into the Coverdal and let it grow tax free.

If you don't need the money another option is to give it to a charity directly from the account as you can avoid taxes that way.

Don't forget my signature line. I might not know what I am talking about.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The only way I can think of is the direct charitable contributions from your IRA. This counts toward your RMD, so if you make charitable contributions anyway, making them out of your IRA reduces the tax impact a little (of course you don't also get to itemize the contributions).

Otherwise doing Roth conversions in years before you reach 70.5 when you are in a lower tax bracket - say to use up your 15% bracket - is a good strategy.
trirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Havent gotten to this point yet in life so i'm not certain, but I have a funny feeling there is a way to dodge this. Cant you gift stock from your ira to the kids to put in their college plan without actually selling it, have that qualify as an RMD since you've taken a distribution, yet trigger no tax since nothing was sold and as a gift, its not taxable on the kids end? I think you screw up the step-up basis as their basis would now become your original basis, not the value on the date of the gift. However you could sell a current holding to buy shares on the day before making the gift, which would eliminate most of that problem.

Alternatively cant you take your RMD and use it for expenses, put the balance of the IRA and some other assets you otherwise would have used for expenses in trust and pass the trust directly to the grandchildren with instructions for using it for educational purposes, bypassing their parents, and skip a tax generation?

What martha says goes double when listening to tax ideas from the bunny...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Havent gotten to this point yet in life so i'm not certain, but I have a funny feeling there is a way to dodge this. Cant you gift stock from your ira to the kids to put in their college plan without actually selling it, have that qualify as an RMD since you've taken a distribution, yet trigger no tax since nothing was sold and as a gift, its not taxable on the kids end? I think you screw up the step-up basis as their basis would now become your original basis, not the value on the date of the gift. However you could sell a current holding to buy shares on the day before making the gift, which would eliminate most of that problem.
Ah, nope.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Oh well, I tried to aid and abet in tax weaseldom.

Did I mention lately that I hate taxes?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sooo - one of those really big nothing down mortgages - fix and flip every two years(you live in the house) wouldn't pencil out either - eh?

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick View Post
Is there a way to directly transfer money from an IRA into an education type of IRA (Coverdell??) for grandkids education, without incurring taxable event and still satisfy the RMD requirement.
No.

But your post made my afternoon. I always appreciate open brain storming where no idea is too out of whack to make the further discussion list!
Old 10-28-2007, 12:40 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks all. I was hoping for a different answer, but at least I got a better idea of what won't work. Drat! and then there's the AMT problem as well.
Thanks again.