Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Have fun, and enjoy your bragging rights.
Shortly before I ER'd last year, I flew to the Caribbean on a private jet. I love to tell people that I ER'd because it couldn't get any better. If fact, the plane was corporate (but damn nice, CEO's toy), the island was not (it was dirty, industrial and unsafe) and all I did was work. Great story though.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

My brief few minutes of looking/feeling rich came in the mid-90s when my company sent several of us on their private jet to Reno for meetings on a potential merger. I and my co-worker Frank were the first to walk down the stairs at the airport. The airport workers had actually rolled out a red carpet for us to walk on as we stepped off the plane! I guess they figured private jet = whales. Little did they know that Frank and I were both cheap b*stards. We spent $30 gambling between the two of us!
Hee hee!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I do think it's a trap, but it's hard to resist. I did it last week when I emailed my grad school roomate a birthday card. She wrote back several days later telling me all about her birthday trip to China with her family and all they saw and did. They're wealthy germans and travel all the time.

I wrote back and told her DH retired in Dec.,(at 40) and we're loving it. I would have told her that at somepoint in an email, but it was nice knowing she had to go back to work after her great vacation.
enfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting.... I would think that most folks that are fairly wealthy would never really want anyone to know how much money they have. You become a target of scam artists, etc.
I have spoken with many people that have gone out of their way to give the appearance that they are wealthy, when I know in reality they are not at all. A friend of my Uncle's family has a son that is bragging all the time about his house, car, etc. I am foced to listen to it every year at family functions. Now do not get me wrong.... his house, car, etc, are all very nice. Although I had heard what he did for a living and wondered how he could pay for it all? I got curious one day and checked the GIS maps here to find out more about his house. Interestingly enough.... his name does NOT appear on the deed... in reality it is his father's house.
It will give me great pleasure asking him about it the next time I see him...
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Oneupmanship
Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Oneupmanship

We had a good laugh in March. We went to the barrel tasting weekend in the Sonoma valley. You buy a wineglass for charity, then drive around to all the winerys and taste for free. Amidst all the stretch limos, was an old bread truck with a big sign on it "Tijuana Express"
waltwill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
Later this month I'm going to be taking a private jet across the country. It belongs to a billionaire and I will be traveling with a few other acquaintances whose last names are stamped on some of the most famous products in America. This is a fun story to tell... except. It is very easy for people to get the wrong impression. I told my wife I was looking to find a few people I could tell the story to. What fun is it if I can't tell anyone?
I note that despite the anonymity of this forum, you haven't disclosed anyone's name. Of course that's fine (you don't owe us anything), but perhaps that reluctance is a subtle sign that, subconsciously, you believe it would be inappropriate to talk about the flight? If so, trust your instincts, and be discreet.

Quote:
There is one guy in particular I want to try it out on. When every we meet we talk business. He is a very good business man. When we talk we are competitive, at least, according to my wife.
I'm inclined to suggest that you pay considerable deference to your's wife perspective. She probably knows you at least as well as you know yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Be sure to take a camera and take lots of photos. That may not seem too graceful, but as DonHeff said, this is an experience that you will remember for years! See if you can get someone to take at least one photo showing you on the jet, and one showing you standing in front of it, too.
I don't have any strong opinions whether or not you should go that route, but suggest that you discretely ask your host's permission before the flight. This is not a private party that you are paying for and can enjoy however you wish. The bottom line is that you will be a guest; so don't do anything that would be resented or would make anyone else on the aircraft uncomfortable.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

If it feels right

"I would think that most folks that are fairly wealthy would never really want anyone to know how much money they have." (armor 99)

They are too well known for being billionaires for that to work.

"I note that despite the anonymity of this forum, you haven't disclosed anyone's name" (milton)

I wouldn't be comfortable using anyone's name oneline. If I met any of you I would say who they are. No harm in that, I just don't want to broadcast it.

When I worked in the movie business I met some very famous people, Michael Jackson for one, surgical mask and all. But one didn't ask for autographs, pictures or anything else. It was unprofessional.

However, my buddy did get Paul McCartney to sign his Abbey Road album. He just couldn't resist and Paul said, "Sure, I'd be happy to."

I would talk to them if I got the chance but that was all.

I don't know about photos, maybe if it feels right.

boont
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I would talk to them if I got the chance but that was all.
Someone who had once worked as a limo driver told me a fare she picked up at the airport turned out to be Bill Cosby. She also knew famous people were often on guard because members of the public would hit them up for their autograph (or other special favor).

So she took a different approach. When she first saw him, she said, "wow, you look better in person than you do in your pictures." His guard went down and they had a great conversation during the drive to his destination.
rogersteciak is offline   Reply With Quote