Join Early Retirement Today

Looking Rich
Old 04-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking Rich

Later this month I'm going to be taking a private jet across the country. It belongs to a billionaire and I will be traveling with a few other acquaintances whose last names are stamped on some of the most famous products in America.

We all belong to an organization that they support with funding, and that I support with good will.

This is a fun story to tell... except. It is very easy for people to get the wrong impression. I told my wife I was looking to find a few people I could tell the story to. What fun is it if I can't tell anyone?

There is one guy in particular I want to try it out on. When every we meet we talk business. He is a very good business man. When we talk we are competitive, at least, according to my wife.

So I decided I'm not going to bring this special flight up. Except, I think I should be allowed to at least mention to him that I am flying to New York next Thursday.

My guess is, when I state this, he is going to launch into a discussion on the difficulties of airline travel, currently.

I then feel it is going to be fair to say, "Well, no, because I will be traveling on the **** family's private jet.

Of course my spoil sport wife then said, "That's a trap."

Well, it may be but I want to have some fun anyway. Is this a trap?

boont
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are in a playful mood, you could follow through with your idea and then say you can't wait until you take delivery of your own private luxery jet so that you don't have to fly on the **** family's private jet anymore: http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid203719194/bclid132209461/bctid1493704379
rogersteciak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes it is..... but sometimes it is FUN anyhow....

Let me give an example... My company was paying for me to have an apartment in Manhattan... but, then they wanted me to go back to London for a couple of months to do a cost analysis... and I still had my own house in Houston...

The company flies you 'business class' which is first class on some airlines... there was this jerk that was talking about how 'important' he was and it got kind of tired... So I had to throw it that I had an apartment in the high rent district of London, Manhattan and had just went down to 'vacation' at my house in Houston... kind of shut him up... it was fun...

To bad it was 'not mine'... but who cares about facts
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sometimes those of us who are normally humble LBYMers do actually end up working in high positions and with acquaintances who are "high society" or pretend to be. When the pretenders come out, sometimes it becomes irresistable to toss your hat in the ring. That's when I toss in the flights with my multibillionaire CEO (my boss) on his private jets, a variety of stays at some of his interesting private venues, or my two "vacation" homes (yeah, right , I only get to see them when I'm on vacation) in California etc.

Anyway, I don't think it is much of a trap...especially if he is one of the pretenders. Even if he is not, I don't think it would harm anything to toss that out. Flying on a billionaire's (or otherwise) private jet is an experience that is interesting, unique, and something that is a fun topic for conversation.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It is such a unique experience that you can't help talking about it (obvious lead in to here we go ). Back in 2000 I flew down to Cape Kennedy for a shuttle launch on a big NASA Gulfstream with the Administrator and the lead scientist for the flight. Flew back on a smaller NASA jet. Both trips were once in a life time events for an average Joe like me. I kept photos and (obviously) still talk about it.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it's a trap!

Be sure to take a camera and take lots of photos. That may not seem too graceful, but as DonHeff said, this is an experience that you will remember for years! See if you can get someone to take at least one photo showing you on the jet, and one showing you standing in front of it, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:41 AM   #7

Folks who buy fancy cars because they believe that they are showing off their wealth are actually showing off their poverty - of character. Don't forget the Elizabethan saying : "An ass is still an ass although laden with gold."
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Folks who buy fancy cars because they believe that they are showing off their wealth are actually showing off their poverty - of character. Don't forget the Elizabethan saying : "An ass is still an ass although laden with gold."
Rats! I was going to mention possibly shopping for Carhartt Brown Quilt-
Lined Duck Bib Overalls but you burst my bubble.

heh heh heh - I'm am prone to brag a little - inclined to toss that in with my male hormone/individual stock theory, but i have to think about it.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #9

Not a trap. Have a fun trip.

As the others suggested take pictures.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Well, I met a guy who knew someone's second cousin's brother-in-law whose neighbor once had a Big Mac several days after Brittany had driven by that McDonald's...

Top that!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Well, I met a guy who knew someone's second cousin's brother-in-law whose neighbor once had a Big Mac several days after Brittany had driven by that McDonald's...

Top that!
That's impressive. (Can't top that one).

But just for the flow of conversation, I remember in l961, single at the time, driving to Vegas in a $l,000.00 car and coming back home in a
$89,000 Greyhound.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead* View Post
I remember in l961, single at the time, driving to Vegas in a $l,000.00 car and coming back home in a
$89,000 Greyhound.
Just for the sake of further conversation, I'll bet you were "chauffeured" on your ride home and didn't even have to do your own driving!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Yes, it's a trap!

Be sure to take a camera and take lots of photos. That may not seem too graceful, but as DonHeff said, this is an experience that you will remember for years! See if you can get someone to take at least one photo showing you on the jet, and one showing you standing in front of it, too.
I have to respectfully disagree with the photos. A phrase that has been attributed to many college football coaches, including Joe Paterno and Darrell Royal, seems apt for the occasion:

"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before."
Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
What fun is it if I can't tell anyone?
The real fun lies in either doing your own flying (like Philip Greenspun) or else staggering onboard, nodding to everyone before muttering "Man, what a night", and sleeping the whole way...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

It isn’t a trap. It’s a strategically orchestrated conversation.
The coincidence here for me is that I had a similar conversation a few days ago with a friend who told me about is ride home from Vegas on his friends charter. It’s nice to be able to be agreeable and say “yeah, I know what you mean”.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Just for the sake of further conversation, I'll bet you were "chauffeured" on your ride home and didn't even have to do your own driving!
No doubt about it, a nice benifit. (Leave the driving to them).

Just make sure that there;'s not an empty seat next to you when the new passenger shows up with a wire cage full of live chickens looking for a spot to settle in.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Nothing like listening to the fantacies reading the posts of LBYM types who would like to, just that one time, live like the spenders!
Old 04-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Go for it. Hey who doesn't brag when you get bumped to first class...
My best friends, brother is a famous and rich architect, they alway brag about the over the top spending that his brother arranges when they visit him.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #19
Administrator

Have fun, and enjoy your bragging rights.

I had to fly to Mumbai last year (business class) and just before take-off on the 17 hr leg of the journey the flight attendant stumbled and tipped a tray full of champagne and orange juice all over me. She was devastated but I thought it was hilarious and could already envision being able drop this titbit of information into conversations....
Old 04-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Nothing like listening to the fantacies reading the posts of LBYM types who would like to, just that one time, live like the spenders!
Are we still talking about Greyhound chauffeurs and cages of live chickens?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote