Join Early Retirement Today

Looking through the wrong end of the binoculars?
Old 04-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking through the wrong end of the binoculars?

For the past 18 months I have worked part time (about 25 hours per week) as we slowly reorganize our small business to the new shareholders. In another 6 months I plan to be in the office one day a week as well as work on some specific projects from home as they arise, all on an hourly basis. After almost 30 years as the financial dude in the company, I am so excited to take a back seat. Or at least I was.

This past month there have been some changes and opportunities in the industry that the company in in that are quite positive, albeit a bit nerve racking. On one hand I enjoy the planning chatter at work, but on another level I just want to bolt. Things are always more enjoyable when the dollars roll in, but when things are not going well I physically suffer to the point where i have to bolt.

So that is the background. I realize that it is different owning a company as opposed to working in a mega corp, or perhaps a smaller version of a mega corp, but I am sure that the emotions are the same. My question to the board is why do I feel guilty, why do I feel remorse? I thought I made my peace with my decision almost two years ago? Against all logic, why do I feel as I failed?

Just putting this out there to the many of you who have gone through this or are beginning the process themselves.
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 05:46 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When you say "reorganize OUR business", can I assume that you mean this is/was your own business?

Regardless, working/owning a small business has a certain level of ownership that never goes away. The guilt and remorse seem to be a normal reaction to something you hold dear and possible saw grow over many years.

It is hard to let go even after you've let go!! I know.

Time heals all wounds however and while it took me many years (8? 9?) the feeling of letting go does get easier.

You said it yourself: you reach a point of frustration that you need to bolt. So....remember that feeling everytime you wonder if you made the right choice.

Hang in there.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Opportunities will always be there in any business, and I understand how tough it can be to take a back seat when you're ready to start something new and exciting. I have felt the same way at times.

You're feelings of guilt and remorse will subside as personal opportunities in retirement provide more satisfaction than your business opportunities used to provide. Hang in there.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Perhaps I also feel that there is no turning back, and the permanence of that decision.
And yes, it is easy to remember the good stuff in life while denying or forgetting the bad.

I will commit to looking forward. With the sun shining this morning as I look out my living room window, waking up early on my own terms, this is what I ( my DW alongside) want to do with the next bunch of years. What an opportunity that is!

I recently mentored someone with this advice - don't make any big decisions for at least 24 hours. In some ways I think I have just taken my own advice.

Cheers.
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote