Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
stay strong, wishing you the best through this
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #22

Keep your chin up and keep an open mind to treatments.

One of our church members was diagnosed at Duke a little over 5 years ago. He did research and travelled to Florida for an alternative type of treatment. I don't know the details but he is as active today as he was five years ago and appears to have been cured.

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to hear of this development, bondi688.

Stay positive and seek out 2nd (and 3rd) opinions, if needed.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #24

I'm really sorry to hear about this, but stay positive. We never know where life is going to take us so we have to enjoy each day that we have and never take it for granted.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear, stay positive.

About 7 years ago a buddy was told to get his affairs in order, quickly. He'd been told he had glioblastoma and possibly weeks to live.

Traditional surgury and radiation. He managed to get into a clinical trial and today he's well. I'm not sure he's cured, but he's living life every day.

All the best to you.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear your news. Best wishes for your complete recovery.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I'm very sorry you are going to have to go through all this. I wish you the best possible outcome.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
I have never been sick. I had never been hospitalized or had any surgery. I did not have to take any medication. My father. a two packs a day smoker, died of lung cancer at 83. My mother is still alive and quite lucid at 93. So I figured I 'll wait till I am 70 to take out social security benefits because I do not need the money at 62 or 66. But I just found out I probably have pancreatic cancer and am waiting for the biopsy result. Oh well, them are the breaks.
Sorry to hear this. Stay strong while waiting for the result, and go from there.

No, you did not gamble anything. This can hit any of us. Who know or can say that they are immune?

About never being sick, hospitalized, nor taking any pills, that was me before I was diagnosed with a life threatening situation. They treated me, and after painful surgeries, I am still around. Got many scars to show for it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #29

Very sorry to hear that. Stay strong.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #30

You haven't lost yet!
You didn't need the money, so you didn't lose anything to date.
And the future isn't known yet. Good luck to you. Stay positive if you can.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #31

Stay strong and positive. Life is an opera with an unknown libretto and it ain't over til the fat lady sings.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

So sorry to hear this. Best of luck as you deal with this challenge.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #33

Thank you all for your support, I was asked about the symptoms: essentially I had lost some weight (which I realize in retrospect). My urine turned tea colored and I looked jaundiced. There was some vague discomfort in the upper abdomen, They did some tests and my liver enzymes and bilirubin are abnormally high. They did an ultrasound scan, which showed a 2 to 3 cm mass near the duct and head of the pancreas. It was confirmed by CT scan, I underwent ERCP and had a stent place and a biopsy done, The result from pathology may take 2 weeks to come back, but the tumor marker level in my blood was high. They are suspecting pancreatic cancer,
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to read about this, Bondi688. I sure hope that the biopsy results are more encouraging. If they are not, then I totally agree with Mystang52 who posted above, urging you to go to M.D. Anderson to get the latest treatments.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

So sorry. Please take care and don't be too harsh on yourself. Health is always a "wild card" in retirement. We all know this wild card exists and will come into play some day.. sooner or later !
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
Thanks for the sage advice. I am 68, never been married, no heir.
Then you haven't lost anything!

What would you have done differently if you had chosen to start Social Security benefits at 62? Whatever that would have been, it's over. Now you get to decide what you will do going forward, and for the rest of your life.

I've always believed that the secret to a good life is to live each day well, enjoy what you are doing on that day, be happy, and try to bring happiness to those around you. If you can do that, then whenever your days end, you'll have know plenty of joy.

I worked at jobs that gave me a lot of fulfillment and now I'm enjoying retirement. My wife is enjoying her job until she is ready to retire too. I have thoroughly enjoyed family (still do). My wife and I enjoy friends. It's a good life!

Good luck with your diagnosis and treatments. Come back when you are ready and tell us all how well you are doing! Share the journey and contribute your advice for others.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #37

I am very sorry to read this bondi688. Please let us know how the biopsy turns out. In the mean time I agree with others about MD Anderson, take care and don't do this alone! I hope you have a support system around you.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Here on this forum, whenever the word c* comes up, people talk about MD Anderson. I heard of this medical chain, but have no experience nor know anybody who does.

Can anybody do a community service to point out some statistics about different medical centers that treat cancer? Survival rates would be highly relevant. Next would be cost.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

A friend of mine was told her lung cancer was too far advanced so nothing they could do. She goes to MD Anderson who does chemo until it shrinks, then surgery and she is alive 7 years later.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Bondi688,
Best wishes as you face this.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote