Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2016, 08:52 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I do the same as Philliefan33. I donated a very valuable antique herbalist book to the University Arboretum, which they very much appreciated and I'll use the value of the book as a charitable deduction off my taxes. I did get the book appraised.
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No. life is too short to spend a lot of time trying to get the best price for things you want to get rid of. We've given huge amounts of stuff away and only sold the obvious and straightforward pieces. We had other priorities and wanted to get on with our lives.

Money on the table and all that. Gosh, we left oodles behind by deciding to quit earning our nice wages when we were quite young.
Thank you for this, Audreyh1. I've been hanging onto a fur coat and a large box of silver plated serving ware, both inherited from a relative, because I deemed them too nice to donate. Instead I feel weighted down everytime they cross my field of vision. Out they go today.

Your last sentence is particular on point. I'll remember when faced with similar scenarios ongoing.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Someone will come along and haggle him down to $800. You made the same $400 he will make but you didn't have the bother of showing it to customers. Time>money. Don't forget that.
Great answer!
Old 12-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
So not a decluttering comment, last night we watched "Minimalism" on Netflix...interesting take on the subject...and pretty much everybody here would consider themselves slackers in the decluttering department compared to the people in the documentary...
I haven't seen that but we have accidentally watched a few minutes of shows about hoarders (so depressing)--those people are worried their hoarded possessions are priceless and cannot let them go. Don't be like those people--let yours go in every sense of the term.

To the OP: you probably didn't pay $450 for the book you are now seeing for sale, so I imagine you still broke even with the $150 for the lot of the books altogether. Note to Trombone Al: write a book about pigeons.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Especially "that." (Unless you really need the money).

We sold an old landscape trailer, that we bought new but never managed to use, for about 1/6 of what a new one would cost. The buyer was a friend of a neighbor, and this was the first decent offer we'd gotten. We made the buyer incredibly happy (he told us!) He needed a trailer to start a business, and was having trouble finding something he could afford that came with clean owner title. The neighbor told us later that we probably could have asked a bit more (because we had the title), but that he really appreciated how we'd helped his friend. Frankly, he and his friends helped us.

For us, the trailer was just taking up space. I advertised it on CL and got flakes offering $100.00. We then tried to donate it, but the charity wanted us to put tires and planks on it before they would take it. A junk-hauling service wanted $200 to take it. At that point, I'd invested way too many hours of my precious life in that #@#!) trailer. Why waste more time haggling?

But again, if you're in business or need money, it's a whole different ball game.

Quote:
Someone will come along and haggle him down to $800. You made the same $400 he will make but you didn't have the bother of showing it to customers. Time>money. Don't forget that.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I haven't seen that but we have accidentally watched a few minutes of shows about hoarders (so depressing)--those people are worried their hoarded possessions are priceless and cannot let them go. Don't be like those people--let yours go in every sense of the term.

To the OP: you probably didn't pay $450 for the book you are now seeing for sale, so I imagine you still broke even with the $150 for the lot of the books altogether. Note to Trombone Al: write a book about pigeons.
these people are the opposite of hoarders, but I think they are preaching to a pretty small choir.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Common collectibles are easy to sell online in bulk at a deep discount. There is a large market for baseball cards, books, coins, stamps, and similar. By selling in bulk your time is minimized, clutter gone, and you get a few dollars. Furthermore, gains on collectibles are taxed at 28%, which is higher than most other items, and so they're especially good for tax-loss harvesting.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Thank you for this, Audreyh1. I've been hanging onto a fur coat and a large box of silver plated serving ware, both inherited from a relative, because I deemed them too nice to donate. Instead I feel weighted down everytime they cross my field of vision. Out they go today.
I had a relative that held onto lots of stuff from dead parents house, it was a source of pride and a lot of the stuff was displayed like it was the treasures of the ancients. Silverware sets, super fancy serving sets (oyster soup bowl, etc), paintings and so on.

Then suddenly this person had to go into a retirement home, so called the auctioneers and everything sold at auctions for about $3,000.

It taught me, household stuff is nearly worthless, great for the imagination, but can't retire on it.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I probably had ~$250-$300 into them. I was more than fine with $150 until I saw the single book for $450. And I only noticed because someone offered $200 after the fact.

On another note, I was selling my racing clock for $600 and someone offered $800 to get in front of my previously committed buyer.

So I did get $1,000 that was just sitting on my shelf. I am going to get rid of a bunch more stuff too.

Want a flashing light for the top of your car, or plow truck? I have it advertised in Craig's and keep dropping the price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1216161601_resized.jpg (455.5 KB, 30 views)
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
these people are the opposite of hoarders, but I think they are preaching to a pretty small choir.
Exactly--two extremes; hanging on to things we don't use simply because we think they might be worth something one day makes them a burden in many ways. I do have a sentimental attachment to some things regardless of their perceived (by me) value which probably goes against the minimalist theme.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I tried to sell an art deco chandelier on Craigslist for $800. No bites. I was contacted by a local antique shop; he offered me $400 and I took it. Now he has it on his website for $1300. Ouch. Oh well, it was something I can't use and otherwise would just be stored.
Watch American Pickers and you see the folks offer enough that they can pay their business expenses off the deal. They seem to like a 50% margin between what they pay and what they hope to get. It is just like the difference between what a car dealer pays for a trade in and what they sell it for.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I tried to sell an art deco chandelier on Craigslist for $800. No bites. I was contacted by a local antique shop; he offered me $400 and I took it. Now he has it on his website for $1300. Ouch. Oh well, it was something I can't use and otherwise would just be stored.
Quote:
Yup.That's the difference between being someone who wants to get rid of something NOW, vs. someone trying to make a living at buying and selling 2nd hand stuff. The dealer is paying for a showroom space of some sort, and taking the risk that it won't sell fast, or at all.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I had a friend that was a antique dealer and she said she had to hold pieces for long periods of time before they sold. The more expensive the piece the longer it take to sell. So they also have these types of costs. I either sell or give away depending on my mood and how fast I want it gone. We live on a fairly busy street so when we remodeled our house we put all the stuff in front with a free sign and it was gone in hours.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1000

999,999 times out of 1,000,000, it's just the hoarding instinct rearing its ugly head and whispering these things in one's ear anyway. Well, that's my opinion, anyway, based on the opinion (fact?) that we are all squirrels hoarding nuts at heart. I think that if you look at the big picture, the best price for one object is not worth chasing.

When I'm decluttering, I give books to the public library (which then sells them to raise money). So, if one is worth more than I thought, then my donation to the library was more as well. Consequently I feel more virtuous. It's all good.
Libraries, Prisons, Neighbors - over a thousand books spanning 50 years. Plus six tractors, three pickups - one a ten wheel convert to a 50 foot mobile crane with hydraulic outriggers to lift roof trusses for your next ag. machinery building. Two machine shops - one for autos, tractors etc. and another for general metal welding, milling, forming, grinding, 100 ton punch press(home built), etc. Sawmill and log handling equipped diesel tractor plus a dozen chainsaws from 4 foot down to 40v battery mini. most brand new never been started.

I could go on - jewelry making shop plus artist studio(painting) plus telescopes, cameras, microscopes, guns, knives.

heh heh heh - last farm crop was in the 80's but he never threw any thing away and had a variety of passions over the decades. Retired mega corp gear head who liked to buy and repair tractors.

No longer an ER(22 yr. run) I am slowly with some reluctance morphing into a 'born again' professional de-clutter person. I am open to a new name for this occupation.

And then there is the cut glass, clocks, collector plates and did I mention extra furniture. Inheritance can be a gotcha.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #55

It doesn't bother me. Just yesterday I threw out of bunch of old R/C model airplane stuff that I probably paid $300 for. I could have put it up on eBay or CL but it wouldn't be worth the bother.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #56

When we moved last year, I took 19 large boxes of books to the library (over the course of about a month). They store them in a warehouse full of library shelves, roughly organized by subject matter. They have big sales twice a year where people come into their warehouse and buy what they want at bargain prices.

The library gets the proceeds to help their budget and I feel that my old books go to a good home. Win-win.

Thanks for reminding me — I need to bring them another 2 or 3 boxes of books I should have given up last year. The next sale is less than a month away, so I'd better get moving.
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

We've given about 1,000 books to the Purple Heart charity, which sells donations to benefit veterans. PH and several other charities participate in GreenDrop, which sends a truck to your home to pick up donations. We still have at least 500 books, but they're ones we like to re-read, consult, or use (my artist's design books, for example).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #58

Asking price means NOTHING. I see crap on the Bay that they are asking $50 and I can list the same exact item for $10 and not sell it. People list stuff for years just hoping one desperate sucker comes by. Quick cash is a lot different than asking price. I sell a lot of stuff on the Bay and CL so am pretty well versed in the same. You look at sold listings to see what stuff has sold for and base your price in that range. My goal is selling stuff within a few weeks and then off to Goodwill it goes. If I get money great and if it doesn't sell that's ok too.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

A lot of stuff goes to goodwill from our household. If it is worth selling, eBay or CL. Usually put stuff that doesn't sell at the curb the day before the garbage goes out along with a curb alert on Craigslist.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #60

We downsized and de cluttered from 3600+ sq feet to an 8X8X16 container.

The only things we sold were items that were not worth giving away and would have cost us money to shift. An old freezer was one. Put it on kijiji to sell for an nominal sum and it went immediately. Same with an unsafe extension ladder and a few other things.

Books went to friends, library, schools. Same with school supplies. Bedroom sets to friends, relatives, etc. Everything else of value want to Battered Women Society. Never had a garage sale, never wanted one.

We had lots of use and enjoyment out of everything we disposed of. Besides, we have saved a great deal of money by downsizing and by renting vs. owning in our real estate market.

Be happy with what you got for those books. I assume that you also had a degree of enjoyment from them. And remember...something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Asking price does not necessarily reflect value or attainable price.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote