Losing Money When Decluttering?

A few things I've decided after 9 months of decluttering:

Anything large, like a bicycle, eBay is a PITA.

If you aren't in a hurry, and you post it in Craigslist, eventually someone will want it.

If you are tired of waiting for that somebody to want it, it's a lot easier to throw it away after you've at least tried to sell it.

I've kept track of all of my Craigslist money and I'm up to about $1400. The stuff I have sold to generate that $1400 probably cost me several thousand dollars, new, but it beats throwing it away.

The cream of my junk has been pretty much pulled, and what is left is really starting to look like junk, even to me. By Springtime it will be listed on Craigslist, or FaceBook under "FREE", and if that doesn't work, into a dumpster.

We declutter every November. It works out great because we get the trash put out before the holiday trash fills our bins and we donate clothes and households right before the holidays. Up here in the north its a good time to donate coats and warm clothing as it starts getting brrrr chilly. Lose money? Donations are a tax deduction, the trash is trash, so i wouldn't say i feel much of a loss i usually feel a sense of gains when i declutter knowing i helped someone, reduced my tax liability and freed up space for more crap just in time for xmas :). I also volunteer quite a bit more in November December.

A few things I've decided after 9 months of decluttering:

Anything large, like a bicycle, eBay is a PITA.

If you aren't in a hurry, and you post it in Craigslist, eventually someone will want it.

If you are tired of waiting for that somebody to want it, it's a lot easier to throw it away after you've at least tried to sell it.

I've kept track of all of my Craigslist money and I'm up to about $1400. The stuff I have sold to generate that $1400 probably cost me several thousand dollars, new, but it beats throwing it away.

The cream of my junk has been pretty much pulled, and what is left is really starting to look like junk, even to me. By Springtime it will be listed on Craigslist, or FaceBook under "FREE", and if that doesn't work, into a dumpster.

Instead of a landfill destination for things that aren't broken or severely damaged, consider donating to Salvation Army, etc.

Instead of a landfill destination for things that aren't broken or severely damaged, consider donating to Salvation Army, etc.

And if you have enough stuff (furniture, etc.), ask your local thrift stores if they will send a truck to pick it up. Salvation Army picked over what we wanted to donate but took 95% of it and we didn't have to carry anything ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom