Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #141

The owner of a large used book store told me that people trying to drop off loads of old books are just a huge annoyance to him. He tells them to keep going another half mile and drop them off at Goodwill.

My unwanted books go the the library, where they almost always get sold at their annual sale. Provides valuable funding to the library and gives me a deduction if I can use it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 10:10 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
When my brother died, I filled a grocery buggy with books and went to the nearest used bookstore. The ones they took gave me a credit which I immediately spent in the store. The rest went to Good Will.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:39 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

I was wondering if anyone has ever used OFFERUP to sell unwanted items? How did it work for you if did? I have furniture to get rid of before I downsize.
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:30 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about anything other than Craig's list and I was reluctant to use that - though DW was successful with it on her own while I was away. I never liked the idea of anyone even having a clue where I lived when money was trading hands on used stuff. Just my thing, perhaps.

My suggestion would be to find an auction house. We did our furniture through one. They picked it all up, stored it, sold it and gave us a check. I think they took a third. We were VERY pleased with the furniture end of the process. One story: DW and I "went to housekeeping" with a nice Serta king-size mattress that cost $200 in (I think) 1970 or so. In 2005, we sold it through the auction for $100! I realize that the inflation factor means we sold it for more like 10% of the original price, but WOW! $100 for a 35 year old mattress. Full disclosure: It did look new except that it was exactly flat (no more "new" mattress curvature.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

I contacted one estate / auction company and they wanted 50%, so I was looking for alternatives. I guess I will try some other estate companies and see if that is really the normal rate around here.
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The owner of a large used book store told me that people trying to drop off loads of old books are just a huge annoyance to him. He tells them to keep going another half mile and drop them off at Goodwill.

My unwanted books go the the library, where they almost always get sold at their annual sale. Provides valuable funding to the library and gives me a deduction if I can use it.
I notice both GoodWill and many libraries selling used books on Amazon these days.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:05 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Dropped off another load of books today. The guy told my Wife the ones with no home/resale possibilities get turned into the World's greatest invention - toilet paper. This giftee shall remain name less. We (me,Wife,deceased Brother) are down to possibly under 2000 or so books to declutter.

heh heh heh - meanwhile the farm auction date has been set for two separate weekends in September. Was it 'The Ancient Mariner' who shot the Albatross we had to read way back in High School?
Fun Fun Fun in ER.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #148
Full time employment: Posting here.

This article came to me in email today. I had or have every category on there except rugs and the article is right about lack of demand for those categories.

Things You Shouldn't Save for Your Kids - Things to Get Rid of Now Before They Become a Burden for Your Kids

I've been at this for 18 months now. The drive to purge goes far beyond logic. Most of us, I'm guessing, don't really need the money, but it is almost as much trouble to give it away. I posted a test item to Freecycle. Will see how that goes.

Awhile back I gave a set of china to a newly married couple. That was joyful.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On our​ current move (in progress) we are donating most of our furniture we don't want to move to Habitat for Humanity Restore.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:35 AM   #150

Starting a declutter phase. A few years ago we fenced in the whole back yard for the great dane. No need for the nice 10X20 kennel. Sold it on craiglist this past weekend to a guy who raises Cane Corso's. Got full asking and additional $50 because I delivered it. Next up, spare table saw and old gas grill.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:14 AM   #151

A few things I've decided after 9 months of decluttering:

Anything large, like a bicycle, eBay is a PITA.

If you aren't in a hurry, and you post it in Craigslist, eventually someone will want it.

If you are tired of waiting for that somebody to want it, it's a lot easier to throw it away after you've at least tried to sell it.

I've kept track of all of my Craigslist money and I'm up to about $1400. The stuff I have sold to generate that $1400 probably cost me several thousand dollars, new, but it beats throwing it away.

The cream of my junk has been pretty much pulled, and what is left is really starting to look like junk, even to me. By Springtime it will be listed on Craigslist, or FaceBook under "FREE", and if that doesn't work, into a dumpster.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #152

We declutter every November. It works out great because we get the trash put out before the holiday trash fills our bins and we donate clothes and households right before the holidays. Up here in the north its a good time to donate coats and warm clothing as it starts getting brrrr chilly. Lose money? Donations are a tax deduction, the trash is trash, so i wouldn't say i feel much of a loss i usually feel a sense of gains when i declutter knowing i helped someone, reduced my tax liability and freed up space for more crap just in time for xmas . I also volunteer quite a bit more in November December.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
A few things I've decided after 9 months of decluttering:

Anything large, like a bicycle, eBay is a PITA.

If you aren't in a hurry, and you post it in Craigslist, eventually someone will want it.

If you are tired of waiting for that somebody to want it, it's a lot easier to throw it away after you've at least tried to sell it.

I've kept track of all of my Craigslist money and I'm up to about $1400. The stuff I have sold to generate that $1400 probably cost me several thousand dollars, new, but it beats throwing it away.

The cream of my junk has been pretty much pulled, and what is left is really starting to look like junk, even to me. By Springtime it will be listed on Craigslist, or FaceBook under "FREE", and if that doesn't work, into a dumpster.
Instead of a landfill destination for things that aren't broken or severely damaged, consider donating to Salvation Army, etc.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Instead of a landfill destination for things that aren't broken or severely damaged, consider donating to Salvation Army, etc.
And if you have enough stuff (furniture, etc.), ask your local thrift stores if they will send a truck to pick it up. Salvation Army picked over what we wanted to donate but took 95% of it and we didn't have to carry anything ourselves.

--

retired mid-2000s age 42
fancy free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #155

Habitat for Humanity also picks up old furniture if it is in decent shape.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote