Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #61
gone traveling

Look today at Kiplinger - Interstitial

Today published:

Kiplinger - Interstitial

It is not that everybody should live in exactly one house. If you get promotion and company pays closing costs then moving around makes sense. For most people it is bad financial decision.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #62
gone traveling

Before getting married owned a coop and then a condo. After getting married, 3 homes due to job relocations (was in last of the three for over 20 yrs), then a downsized home into retirement. Hopefully that will be it.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

1984 starter home in NJ (we assumed a mortgage at 11% because going rates were 14% )
1987 bought a larger house in NJ that needed total cosmetic redo, spent 11 years redoing bit by bit. Mortgage was larger but rate was 7%, so payments didn't increase terribly.
1999 after divorce bought townhome in NJ for same price as sale price of home. Similar mortage payment to prior house, rate was about the same. Remarried and together we refinanced to 4.5%, and then accelerated payments to pay off mortgage in ~8 years.
2014 Closed on new retirement home in FL, beautiful home 20% smaller and cost was half of current home. Will leave NJ by the end of the year with a nice bonus to invest after sale is complete.

When I look at many of my friends who have made very good salaries, but are not FI and who may never be, they always bought houses that maxed their loan approval. Bigger must be better and if you are in the most expensive town with the "status" and highest taxes, it certainly makes you look rich--LOL. Well, not only is the mortgage payment big but the upkeep is big too.

I am not sure that length of ownership is as important as LBYM in choosing houses and in which town you reside. Folks who need to have a big house with a fancy address will never be millionaires next door....the whole goal is looking good to the outside world at the cost of their pocketbook.
sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Married 47 years, Moved 19 times. Bought four homes, own one. The bank owned more of the rest than we did. Longest time in any home 9 years. Eight in current place, but going for a new record. Last one we hope. First home $35,000, current about ten times that, but free and clear. I don't think it is how many you own or how much you move, it is how much of what you live in do your or could you own. I guess it also matters if you are forced to move when the market is going down, rather than up like we did. I believe that two of the homes we lived in went through foreclosure in the last bubble. Thankfully it was after we sold them.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've been in our second house for 6 years. First one was for 17.

Anticipate one more sale/purchase...
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #66
Dryer sheet wannabe

HMM
Bought my first house in 1973 for $18K. It was in bankruptcy from an interior designer. I could see why; kitchen had ORANGE cabinets, master bedroom was black and deep purple. Sold it a year later for $28K. After I painted it.
Second house in 1977 for $28K, sold it in 1981 for $34K.
Third house in 1982 for $64,000 Sold it in 1990 for $87K.
Fourth house in 1990 for $122K sold it in 1993 for $157K
Fifth house in 1993 for $160K sold it in 2003 for $225K
Sixth house in 2003 for $188K. In 2007 it appraised for $320K, probably worth about $210K now.

Can't complain about the returns on most of them, but all were places to live, not investments.

We'd like to sell this house and move to Denver, but the problem is the difference in housing markets; Colorado is about 50% higher than Arizona so moving without a mortgage will mean buying a fixer upper or downgrading considerably.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
Now renting in another SF suburb and very happy. The only thing I miss about home ownership is renovating bathrooms and kitchens! Call me crazy…
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day. I have remodeled kitchens 3 times and now really think I'd have a tough time renting unless the kitchen was pretty much exactly the way I want it. This last time I got it pretty much perfect.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I own several rental properties but they are investments.

I moved a lot in my early career so renting was the obvious choice. By 1991 I was ready to buy my first home in a mid sized city. It cost $85k, and I had a $60K deposit. I paid off the $25k mortgage in 18 months. I did not see the point of paying 8-10% non tax deductible interest! I chose a modest home in a nice neighbourhood. It was a fixer upper but had a lot of character. Stayed there for 20 years, 18 of them debt free and made some improvements. Sold the house for three times the purchase price. Moved to an area with higher property prices. Paid slightly more for my second home than I realized on the sale of my first. Cost of living in modern condo in a milder climate is considerably less than that of living in an old little house on the prairie.

I have always tried to avoid being house poor. If I were to win a mansion in a charitable lottery, I would probably take the cash option (no tax payable) and stay put.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've only owned one home that I've now lived in for 27 years. The area has become ever more desirable and developers covet my house to tear it down and build a McMansion on the lot. While my solidly-built hovel (less than 1,200 sq. ft.) would absurdly sell for 7 times what I paid for it, my property tax ($8,500 this year) is 8 times what it was when I bought it, and my assessment doesn't even reflect its current market value. It's strange knowing that any money I put in it will not be recouped, because the house will almost certainly be torn down when I sell it. I'll stay in it as long as my elderly parents (both in their 90s) live just a few miles away because I'm constantly going over there now to help out. There's a good chance I'll be forced to sell someday due to the ridiculous property tax. It's a shame, because I like the house and love being able to walk to almost everything I need, yet still live on a quiet street and have a productive vegetable garden. In fact, the sunny yard with good garden possibilities was a primary reason I bought the house.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #70
Dryer sheet wannabe

1991 or 2 first house pd $56K in KY
1996 divorced first husband
1997 sold 1st house for $72K (moved for work)
1998 Bought 2nd house with now 2nd husband for $135K
2002 sold 2nd house for $155K and bought new home for $245K
2004 bought rental house for $72K (still own and have had 3 tenants in 10 yrs)
2004/5 bought house to flip fo $56K and sold 4 months later for $101K-didnt make as much $ as planned but did make some
2005 bought vacation home in Gulfport, MS 30 days before Hurricane Katrina for $172K-($30Kish in damage...still own, but have refinanced and plan to keep/use as vacation home
YESTERDAY closed on new home for $359K-foreclosure, great neighborhood, house needs work though.....
in 2 weeks sale of home purchased in 2002 closes for $280K
stephaniee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I definitely favor fixer-uppers, and stay in homes about 10 years (although at age 48, I'm hoping my current is my last)

Bought my first house in 1989. Closed a couple of weeks after my 23 birthday. It was a 720 SF 2 bedroom bungalo. But, PI and property taxes came to less than $400 a month. I had privacy, a yard for a garden and a big dog, and an attached garage for security. Stayed there 12 years, even though I was making 5 times what I had made when I bought the house. Had fixed it up really cute. It sold in a day, even though it wasn't in a desirable neighborhood. It was really time for me to move to a nicer area. Didn't lose any money, but didn't make any either, after accounting for what I put into it.

Bought a bigger ranch in the burbs near work in 2001. House payment quadrupled to $1600. House was built in 1972, and in a very desirable neighborhood, but previous owners had not updated. I had visions for what I'd do to that house, and had figured I'd stay there for a long time, but I met my husband that year. Sold it with enough to cover relator fees, and a little extra, but no windfall by any means.

Moved to husbands home in the city of Columbus. He had bought it in 2001. It was a Victorian home in a desirable, walkable neighborhood. It had been built in 1880, and updated in the 1980's, but was dated and had an inefficient layout. We updated the whole house together. Knew we'd buy a different home to retire to.

Researched areas for several years to determine where we wanted to buy our retirement home. Decided on Hermann, and bought our home here in 2012. It's a 1973 ranch, mostly original -- so I can do the remodeling I love. Figured we'd move around 2016. Got laid off in 2013. Home in Columbus sold in a day. Equity from sale paid off mortgage on our current home. We briefly also rented about an hour away for a job I had found, but I decided to retire and devote myself to the home remodel. We're doing about half of the work ourselves. We don't plan to move again (although life sometimes changes our plans).

I love creating beautiful homes where people can enjoy themselves. I love the creativity and personal expression, despite the fact that the work kicks my butt a lot more than back when I was in my 20's. You can see my current project on houzz (Chris). The house will be done within a year. Then I can turn my attention to the garden. That won't be done until I die...
chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote