Low cost of living town with low humidity?

Audrey, I think you need to look at the entire tax burden, not just income tax. Texas has no income tax but other taxes (property, sales) are significant.
I did. These 4.5% to 6% and up state income taxes blow my other expenses out of the water.

And I notice that plenty of states with income taxes have sales taxes too. One notable exception - Oregon. Gosh it's fun visiting Oregon!

You don't have to pay property taxes unless you own real property. Housing is cheap. Renting is cheap. Same with sales taxes - it's a consumption tax and a lot of essentials are excluded. Gasoline is low with respect to the rest of the nation. The fact is that the cost of living in TX is pretty low, even taking these taxes into account.

Oh yeah - there are plenty of good reasons not to become a TX resident. IMO taxes and cost of living are not two of them.

Audrey

I did. These 4.5% to 6% and up state income taxes blow my other expenses out of the water.

And I notice that plenty of states with income taxes have sales taxes too. One notable exception - Oregon. Gosh it's fun visiting Oregon!

You don't have to pay property taxes unless you own real property. Housing is cheap. Renting is cheap. Same with sales taxes - it's a consumption tax and a lot of essentials are excluded. Gasoline is low with respect to the rest of the nation. The fact is that the cost of living in TX is pretty low, even taking these taxes into account.

Oh yeah - there are plenty of good reasons not to become a TX resident. IMO taxes and cost of living are not two of them.

Audrey

It also depends on what your income is. For high earners it is better because you can buy a cheap home and your are set. I looked at moving to texas and I would pay more taxes because I am very low income.

It also depends on what your income is. For high earners it is better because you can buy a cheap home and your are set. I looked at moving to texas and I would pay more taxes because I am very low income.
Yep. That is what it comes down to.

Audrey

As discussed I would say for the most part the low humidity variable narrows your choices down to the western part of the US.

I may be way off and it may not become a more serious issues for many years to come but the water situation seems questionable in the a lot western US destinations (even a few SE areas as well). Kind of makes me 2nd guess the idea of living there even though I think the west is the best.

Then again, I may not be too off if the Great Lake states were willing to sign a pact to prevent the shipping of water to thirstier regions of the US. Just food for thought.

As discussed I would say for the most part the low humidity variable narrows your choices down to the western part of the US.

I may be way off and it may not become a more serious issues for many years to come but the water situation seems questionable in the a lot western US destinations (even a few SE areas as well).

Eastern WA is a very good destination for what the OP is seeking. The winters can be cold, but nothing like from the Continantal Divide east. Winters are not as sunny as in some locations east of the Rockies, but other parts like near Tri-Cities have quitea lot of winter sun.

And water? Do we have water!

Ha

What cities in WA do you have in mind?
Ellensburg, Cheney, Pullman, Spokane, Richland, Kennewick, Pasco, (known as Tri-Cities), Wenatchee , Walla Walla. Other than Spokane and Tri-Cities they are pretty small cities. But several have universities and are better than their size alone would indicate.

Ha

Not Too bad.

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $127,500 (it was $97,000 in 2000)
Spokane $127,500
Washington: $227,700

Are your home taxes about 1% ?

My hunting place is not terribly far from Ozona.

Low humidity? Nope, don't think so.

End of the earth? Nah, it just takes a little getting used to. You just have to love rocks and scrub mesquite. If there were Martians, Ozona would be their number one off-planet vacation spot.

So what do you hunt there? Rattlesnakes, chiggers, and turkey vultures?

Not Too bad.

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $127,500 (it was $97,000 in 2000)
Spokane $127,500
Washington: $227,700

Are your home taxes about 1% ?

Yes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom