Join Early Retirement Today

Lower 401k contribution to increase taxable contributions?
Old 01-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Lower 401k contribution to increase taxable contributions?

Is there ever a situation where it makes sense to put less in a traditional 401k and more in a taxable account?

For example, instead of investing $6k in Roth + $19.5k in 401k + $10k in taxable every year, what about $6k in Roth + $10k in 401k + $19.5k in taxable? This assumes you put enough in to get full employer match.

If you are retiring early, accessing 401k money comes with a penalty but holdings in a taxable account can be sold or dividends can be collected and spent rather than reinvested.

There's also a remote chance that income taxes shoot up (hurting 401k withdrawals) but dividend/capital gains don't (helping taxable accounts). ERs can come into play as well if your 401k has high (1%+ ERs) but a taxable account has very low ERs.

Has this been discussed anywhere? Is anyone aware of an analysis like this?
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would think ER well before 59.5 might be a good reason to increase the taxable accounts to help cover living costs at least until 59.5.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it can make a lot of sense, especially retiring before 59.5. I recall it being mentioned a few times but I don't know why there hasn't been more analysis of this. Most of my money is in taxable due to stock options so I never really had to consider this.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:52 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did this. I will have access to my 403(b) deferred funds due to the rule of 55, but I did so anyway. My goal was to build up a cash reserve for: (1) large, one-time expenditures if we moved, and (2) to pay taxes on Roth conversions.

If (2) doesn't quite make sense to you, here was my thinking. I want to convert to the top of the 22% bracket between retirement (later this year) and when the rates (presumably) will increase in 2026. Taking more in cash now allows me to use more of the 22% bracket in years 2018-2020. Then when I use that money to pay taxes, I will effectively be moving it into a Roth.

I have to admit that I think I did not manage to hang onto that cash quite as well as I would have if it were to have been inaccessible, in tax-deferred.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:26 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree with all of the above. A model (Excel) is needed to forecast liquidity when it is needed. Contributing to a taxable account is part of a liquidity or cash management strategy. I suggest that 401k contributions should maximize employer match.
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To me, this mostly depends on your adjusted gross income, your filing status, and your effective tax rate. If your earnings keep you in the 10-12% tax bracket, even without tax-deferred contributions, then it's a no-brainer to invest in a ROTH IRA or ROTH 401(k). If you have a higher AGI, placing that 'extra' income in the 22% bracket, then the tax-deferred option may be better. But you also need to consider your anticipated level of income and taxes in retirement.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:57 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I wondered about this myself. For now Iíve kept all my retirement contributions the same to max them out. But I still want to find a way to increase my taxable accounts. It tough because if you are trying to max everything the money adds up.

I still need to check with my employer to see if I have the Rule of 55 option in my 401k plan. It seems kind of silly to call and ask them considering Iím still in my 40s but I like to plan ahead.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote