Join Early Retirement Today

ltc insurance
Old 01-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

ltc insurance

Trying to gauge the communities thoughts/opinions on long term care insurance.

Do you have it ? If yes, why ? If no, why not ?
Foghorn Leghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yes, to protect each other in worse case. We have too much for state medicaid and too little to truly self-insure. Will drop after one us dies.
foxcreek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:59 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We self insure.

LTC is too expensive these days.

I think life insurance is a better alternative.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:03 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes. I have a small low cost policy that I got through a former employer. Benefit is $100/day, three year limit, premium $540 per year. I have it because I am single with very few options for someone to care for me. I look at LTC insurance like I look at social security, it is as a floor of protection.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't have it. We self insure.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Our home ($400k) is our LTC insurance policy.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't have LTC insurance. We were offered a policy about 10 yrs ago as part of an overall financial advisor review by Merrill Lynch. Premiums were, IMO, outrageous for the coverage provided. Like an earlier post, the coverage was capped per day and a fixed number of years. Wife and I opted to self insure.
HarveyS is online now   Reply With Quote
LTC isnt like our parents bought
Old 01-26-2021, 09:24 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

LTC isnt like our parents bought

LTC coverage. Expensive premiums that go up, while benefits stay the same or go down - as care costs rise. IMO.

We didn't buy a LTC coverage - but we earmarked our primary home (current value ~$600k) as our future self funded LTC piggybank. As we age it will/should go up in value keeping pace with actual LTC costs. If we sell it prior, we put it to work keeping it set aside and separate for that sole purpose.

Maybe not perfect, but gives us some peace of mind.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No. I don't carry LTC insurance. It's to expensive.

The LTC policy I want would start after a year or two of confinement, and go on for life. Since the long wait would make is highly unlikely that I would collect a cent, the rate would be very low. That kind of policy does not exist.

I hope you are safe and well; neither imprisoned by anxiety nor liberated by foolhardiness.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:21 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Self insuring, at least at this point. I will look at it periodically in my 60s and 70s but don't really expect to do differently.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
house as their ltc?
Old 01-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

house as their ltc?

Two replies so far mentioning their house is their LTC insurance.

So, how would that work if one spouse needs ltc and the other spouse is still healthy and living in the house?

Forced to sell or reverse mortgage?

I'm the exact opposite of my picture :-(
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #12

We bought LTC through my employer in our 40s, we are now 64. It has an optional inflation adjustment every three years. For both of us this year we paid ~$6,000 for nearly $600/day that would last five years or so. It also covers assisted living and in home care. We’re happy we bought young and when it started it was about $2,000/year cost. Should we die our estate gets a good chunk of the premiums back.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We bought LTC through my employer in our 40s, we are now 64. It has an optional inflation adjustment every three years. For both of us this year we paid ~$6,000 for nearly $600/day that would last five years or so. It also covers assisted living and in home care. We’re happy we bought young and when it started it was about $2,000/year cost. Should we die our estate gets a good chunk of the premiums back.
I think if you can buy LTC as a group policy, either through work or through an association, it is a lot more affordable.

Usual caveats about what happens when you leave employment.

It is "term" insurance. So a large risk is dealing with the price increases which will inevitably come. MIL lived to 93, and every year was tempted to not pay the premium because it was so costly! We had to talk her into it.

Good news is she never needed it
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:42 PM   #14

Self insured. I've never understood buying insurance that the insurer can raise the price at will over the years. If I buy something I want a defined price and product. It seems you don't get either from some of the posts and articles I've read.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:53 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
Two replies so far mentioning their house is their LTC insurance.

So, how would that work if one spouse needs ltc and the other spouse is still healthy and living in the house?

Forced to sell or reverse mortgage?
Another self insure here with house as LTC. House is worth > $900K and our yearly spend is ~$180K and growing each year (VPW), so we can easily finance LTC out of portfolio, if necessary. Also, if LTC is necessary, then life ends as we know it anyway.
Mark1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #16

We self insure.

We are just now sorting out LTC benefits for DMIL. For homecare assistance it covers only $87 per day of her $324 daily bill. If she stays in home care for the next year, that amounts to ~$32,000 per year. She likely will not last that long. I don't know if that is more or less than the total of her insurance premiums. I also don't know if her deceased husband also had LTC. I suspect that he did. I do know that he never used LTC benefits at all. His wife was his caregiver. He passed <24 hours from being placed into hospice. We just don't see the payback of LTC. YMMV.

As H20Dude mentioned, getting into a life long contract where the premiums and/or benefits are not fixed at the front end was a non-starter for us.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:10 PM   #17

Self-insuring for the first 2 to 3 years. Then I either die or it's Medicaid or they accept my pension + Social Security, together less than the retail rate, as payment in full and hope I don't live too long.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #18

We purchased LTC policies through Prudential at ages 61/63. We are now 72/74. Premiuns have increased from $4,800/yr(for 2 people) to $8,000/yr. Those premiums will increase further no doubt. The coverage at this point is $320/day for 4 years for each of us and the coverage increases at the rate of 5%/yr. The coverage also can be used for in home care.

Here's the thing. We could easily self insure.........now. Our investment portfolio is mid 7 figures. When we purchased the policies 11 years ago, we had a NW of just under 2 million, a NW that most FA's say warrants purchasing coverage. Now we are outside that window of need, but the premium is not a significant cost to us, so we keep it to preserve the legacy we hope to leave to our children.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
We purchased LTC policies through Prudential at ages 61/63. We are now 72/74. Premiuns have increased from $4,800/yr(for 2 people) to $8,000/yr. Those premiums will increase further no doubt. The coverage at this point is $320/day for 4 years for each of us and the coverage increases at the rate of 5%/yr. The coverage also can be used for in home care.

Here's the thing. We could easily self insure.........now. Our investment portfolio is mid 7 figures. When we purchased the policies 11 years ago, we had a NW of just under 2 million, a NW that most FA's say warrants purchasing coverage. Now we are outside that window of need, but the premium is not a significant cost to us, so we keep it to preserve the legacy we hope to leave to our children.

That’s how we think. We can easily afford the premiums and want to leave something for the kids and grandkids.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:18 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
So, how would that work if one spouse needs ltc and the other spouse is still healthy and living in the house? Forced to sell or reverse mortgage?
My FIL and MIL's exact situation. Both are in a full service retirement community. FIL is in independent living apartment, and MIL is in memory care unit. They had no LTC policy. They used their home's equity to help get into a nice place.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote