Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2016, 04:27 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That was the point I was making regarding the fact that while the premiums have increased by 95% over the past 16 years, the benefits have gone up 118%.
Fair point, but you should have already paid for the inflation adjustments when you selected a policy with inflation protection which can cost several times more in premiums than one with no inflation rider. That cost should have already been "baked in" to what you were paying from the get-go.

So really you are paying 95% more.... but you probably paid at least twice as much per month as one with no inflation coverage so in some sense you are paying at least 290% more than one that had no inflation coverage at the original benefit amount 16 years ago.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 05:00 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

all our state partnership plans require at least 5% inflation adjusting . you can't buy one with out it .
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:04 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
all our state partnership plans require at least 5% inflation adjusting . you can't buy one with out it .
OK, but that said, isn't it still true that when you purchase a plan with inflation adjustments, the projected cost of the inflation adjustments should have already been factored into the premium from Day One?

Until these products can be stabilized to stop creating massive increases on "locked in" rates, I can't get myself to consider one.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Until these products can be stabilized to stop creating massive increases on "locked in" rates, I can't get myself to consider one.
I can understand that - buying LTC insurance today is a real crapshoot.

One point of clarification. The rates for our policies were never advertised as "locked in" and we understood the rates would almost certainly increase over time. We had a 10 year guarantee of premium and didn't see our first increase until year 14.

We are going to keep the policies for now because even though our two rate increases have been jarring, the premiums are still on the low side. We have similar coverage to mathjak (3 year policies with 5% inflation) and our combined annual premiums are now $2,276 vs his $7,900. That seems to be a bargain by comparison.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, according to today's WSJ Mass Mutual is asking for a premium increases on some of its LTC policies that average 77%.

I get the impression from the article that the increase is on about 2/3 of their policies and seems to be on older policies that were issued before the company realized that it had under priced the policies. Apparently, Mass Mutual has been better able to absorb the costs than some other companies, but now they don't see that continuing.

Note: the link below is behind a pay wall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/massmut...s&page=1&pos=2

Quote:
The potential increases would apply to about 54,000 of its 72,000 long-term-care policyholders, the company said. In total, the insurer is asking state regulators to approve increases averaging about 77% per customer, a company spokeswoman said.
Quote:
MassMutual said the increases would apply to its “earlier policy series,” some of which have lifetime benefits that are no longer sold. Policyholders will have options for holding down an increase. Typically, insurers allow consumers to give up features such as inflation adjustments or otherwise reduce benefits.
Of course, the various states have to approve the increase.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

The MassMutual action is not particularly surprising. LTC insurance should be renamed: BOHICA.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, if you didn't buy (before 1995) one of those legendary can-never-increase-the-premium John Hancock LTC policies there isn't much that makes sense out there.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH and I bought LTC policies in 2003 from MetLife. $100 per day, 5% compound annual increase in benefit, no cap on benefits. I paid $5k per year for 8 years, then 7.5k for 2 years. After 10 years, NO MORE premiums! After the last premium was due, I was notified that the next premium would increase 45%. I laughed since the contracted premium was $0 so I would pay the 45% increase on $0!
These 10 pay policies are no longer issued, the 5% compound growth is now 3% on new policies and there is a lifetime cap on benefits for new policies, so I got in just under the wire!
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #89
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yeah my wife has LTD insurance. I wonder if it’s worth it since they can increase premiums at their whim
Mark24609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Yeah, if you didn't buy (before 1995) one of those legendary can-never-increase-the-premium John Hancock LTC policies there isn't much that makes sense out there.
This is the type of policy that DH has as did his parents. Purchased around 1990.

Difference is Mutual of Omaha not JH. Its a 100 per day equaling 5 years with a 30 day wait. Comes in at 15 per month.

Wish we knew then about LTC what we know now and would have bought more.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

DH and I purchased a paid up in 10 LTC policy from Allianz in 1998 with a 5% compound annual increase. Smart purchase at the time assuming they will pay out when we need the benefit.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #92
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are only 2 companies that offer LTC unlimited lifetime benefits now.

One America (hybrid) and National Guardian Life (traditional insurance). One America Asset Care has 1 premium, 10year, 20 year or lifetime with guaranteed no increase but it is pricey as is NGL.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #93

Once again, I'm updating this old LTCi thread after receiving notice of a premium increase of 64%. This follows an increase of 50% in 2014 and another 30% in 2018.

Our annual premium for each of our policies started at ~$600, increased to $875 in year 14, then to $1,175 four years later. This increase will bump the annual premium to $1,870. (The details of the policy coverage can be found in previous posts on this thread.)

One option I have is to drop the 5% compounded annual benefit increase, locking in the current maximum benefit amount at its current $290,000 ($265/day x 3 years). This would drop the annual premium from $1,870 to $570. While this is tempting, the new $1,870 premium doesn't seem unreasonable when compared to some of the other amounts I've seen quoted for similar coverage.

I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say about what they would do - and yes, I know many of you would never have taken out the coverage to begin with.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:46 AM   #94

I think $295/day is probably pretty close to the actual cost today. So it would boil down to what you think inflation will look like and how much of the cost you could afford to shoulder without the coverage. Not an easy one.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Once again, I'm updating this old LTCi thread after receiving notice of a premium increase of 64%. This follows an increase of 50% in 2014 and another 30% in 2018.

Our annual premium for each of our policies started at ~$600, increased to $875 in year 14, then to $1,175 four years later. This increase will bump the annual premium to $1,870. (The details of the policy coverage can be found in previous posts on this thread.)

One option I have is to drop the 5% compounded annual benefit increase, locking in the current maximum benefit amount at its current $290,000 ($265/day x 3 years). This would drop the annual premium from $1,870 to $570. While this is tempting, the new $1,870 premium doesn't seem unreasonable when compared to some of the other amounts I've seen quoted for similar coverage.

I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say about what they would do - and yes, I know many of you would never have taken out the coverage to begin with.
I've been down a similar path til this year said enough is enough. Just feels wrong to chose between paying more or getting less coverage. I'll take my chances for now.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Honestly $1,870 annually seems cheap to me.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Barely over $150 a month. I don’t think I could get a quote for both of us for that, at least with inflation protection, and we are still in our early 50s. I think it shows how badly they underpriced that policy to begin with.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I've been down a similar path til this year said enough is enough. Just feels wrong to chose between paying more or getting less coverage. I'll take my chances for now.
I didn't mention I was offered one more option - stop paying premiums and receive a "paid-up" policy with benefits equal to 150% of the total premiums paid to date. At the current rate of approximately $260/day, the policy would pay for a 90 day stay (actually, with the 90 day elimination period it would pay for the second 90 days of a 180 day stay).

Even with the big rate increase this isn't a tempting offer.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Barely over $150 a month. I don’t think I could get a quote for both of us for that, at least with inflation protection, and we are still in our early 50s. I think it shows how badly they underpriced that policy to begin with.

For clarification, $1,870 is the premium for each of us, $3,740 for both. However, I've seen some numbers which lead me to believe even after these three huge increases the premiums are still low (yes, it does appear the insurer underpriced the policy by a large margin). One example from four years ago for a policy with almost identical benefits:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we took 300 dollars a day for 3 years with a 5% inflation adder each year .

i am 63 and wife 65 . we took it two years ago and pay 7900.00 a year for both of us
Old 03-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
While this is tempting, the new $1,870 premium doesn't seem unreasonable when compared to some of the other amounts I've seen quoted for similar coverage.
As a point of reference, my annual premium is $1960 since I purchased the policy 8 years ago. The policy is for 3 years and it pays $275/day with a 3% compounded annual increase. So I don't think your premium is unreasonable.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote