Join Early Retirement Today

lump sum
Old 11-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

lump sum

Ok, i,m going to retire next year and i want to take a lump sum instead of and annuity but if i roll it into a ira won,t i have to wait untill i,m 59.5 to start withdrawals?
xretro is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

There is an option for penalty free IRA withdrawals before 59 1/2 called a 72T. Here's link with a calculator/info on it.

https://www.calcxml.com/calculators/72t
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yeah, i know about the 72t rule but it sounds like a lot of work, i know i can get money from my 401k since i,m57 but i want to use the money in my retirement
first.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's best to leave tax deferred money to grow tax free for as long as you can. If you are desperate for the money before 59.5 I question whether you are ready to retire early.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xretro View Post
Yeah, i know about the 72t rule but it sounds like a lot of work, i know i can get money from my 401k since i,m57 but i want to use the money in my retirement
first.
Why do you want to use money in your IRA first? Money is fungible. It shouldn't matter.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

Some 401Ks let you start withdrawals at age 55 or later if you are separated from service. Have you explored that with yours?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

It does,nt matter just the lump sum is less than what i have in 401k and i was hoping to leave that alone and let it grow for a while. i can take an annuity instead of a lump sum, but my wife is going to take a annuity from work and i wanted to take a lump sum.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So if you tap into the 401k instead then the IRA will grow. Same difference. You're getting too wrapped up in your underwear about this.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:00 PM   #9

How much of your income needs will your wife's annuity cover? Is you annuity a good deal?

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #10

Couple things to consider:

(1) Once you retire after 55 yrs old (even before 59.5), can convert funds from IRA to a ROTH IRA if you are willing to pay the taxes on the converted funds. Then can use the ROTH funds (but not the earnings gained while within the ROTH account) as you wish without penalty.

(2) If you pull from your 401k account, make sure you understand the Net Unrealized Appreciation rules. Check if they apply to your 401k. If they do, you will need to be careful about how you withdraw from the 401k to ensure you still get the tax advantages of the NUA rules if you wish to take them.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
(1) Once you retire after 55 yrs old (even before 59.5), can convert funds from IRA to a ROTH IRA if you are willing to pay the taxes on the converted funds. Then can use the ROTH funds (but not the earnings gained while within the ROTH account) as you wish without penalty.
Heck, you can do that even in your 30s. There's no penalty on conversions. You just need to use other non-IRA/401k money to pay taxes.

If you leave the company at age 55 or older, there's no IRS penalty on 401k withdrawals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
(2) If you pull from your 401k account, make sure you understand the Net Unrealized Appreciation rules. Check if they apply to your 401k. If they do, you will need to be careful about how you withdraw from the 401k to ensure you still get the tax advantages of the NUA rules if you wish to take them.
I thought NUA only applied to stock options?
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

My understanding is that NUA applies to shares of your employer held in a 401K. That means I don't have to worry about it, because my 401K has no shares of my employer. My wife has to think about it, though, because she holds a bunch of shares bought over a 30 year period.

I believe that taking advantage of the NUA rules requires a total withdrawal of everything in the 401K. I wasn't aware it applied to options. In any case, it is, in my opinion, important to understand the rules and how they apply to the situation at hand.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
My understanding is that NUA applies to shares of your employer held in a 401K.

I wasn't aware it applied to options.
Yes, I was referring to employee stock options/employee stock ownership plans (ESOP) so shares of company/employer stock.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote