Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

LYBM, Retire w/ no Debt...Retirement still bites the dust
Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

LYBM, Retire w/ no Debt...Retirement still bites the dust

KXLY.com: News, Weather and Sports for Spokane, WA and Coeur d'Alene, ID | Retirees face hard choices with troubled economy
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Those articles don't do it for me.
"Gary Laursen retired debt free when he was 60"
Does the article say how old he is now?
Poor article overall.

Instead of faulting the stock market - should the fault be with the lack of X years of expenses in cash equivalents?

Is the lesson better cash flow planning?

The $10,440 increase in health ins is steep - not knowing his situation, it is difficult to know if it was a deal killer.

I can't wait to see my health ins cost increase after breaking my collar bone. Then again I am using the allowable 6 dr. visits in the plan.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Time to go back to work Mr Gary Laursen. Maybe someone can pick up a brand new pontoon boat on the cheap. Wasnt it just over a year ago how people were worried about all the baby boomers retiring at once
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Poor article overall.
I agree Dex. I read it top to bottom and came away with little knowledge as to what went wrong other than he lost his retiree health coverage.

It would be better if articles like this weren't published at all. It's just a stab at a little sensationalism with little detail on the real problems that sent Gary Laursen back to work.......
Old 11-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Useless article with no relevant info. Just sensationalism. Why don't they write one about people who are still successfully retired and how they do it. They are plenty of people here to consider.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

He is 62 now.There is a link to a video. It is a human interest story run by the local tv news. The article was just a synopsis.
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think it is a good article. It is not supposed to be a textbook; and it is hardly sensationalistic. It's a human interest story of the type that most papers other than the NYT, WSJ and WP run all the time.

People don't have the attention span or interest to read much more. People on this board would really mess up a focus group, because we are not typical.

And when I think about it, a number of people on this board have returned to working, at least part time.

Ha
Old 11-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
And when I think about it, a number of people on this board have returned to working, at least part time.
Which is something that makes it even worse for laid-off job seekers: retirees are also competing for jobs again, and those near retirement who might have otherwise retired in the last year may have looked at their last IRA statement and realized they can't retire and free up the job for someone else...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Which is something that makes it even worse for laid-off job seekers: retirees are also competing for jobs again, and those near retirement who might have otherwise retired in the last year may have looked at their last IRA statement and realized they can't retire and free up the job for someone else...
Don't worry Zig.....I am gonna do my part to help out. It is the least I can do! (Retire 25 Dec08)
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Don't worry Zig.....I am gonna do my part to help out. It is the least I can do! (Retire 25 Dec08)
Tell someone who has a good clerical/administrative job in my hometown to retire. We'd really like for my wife to find a job to have a backup paycheck and benefits if mine bites the dust...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote