M* article on some of the problems with SPIAs

Animorph

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This was a nice article covering why SPIAs aren't as appealing in the real world as academics model.

Reasons Retirees Avoid Annuities

"There are a lots of reasons that people will give you why they're not interested. So, I've talked about this before; it's sort of death by 1,000 cuts because while in the framework that I articulated, annuities are so great, once you start looking at several aspects of the real world, they lose their attractiveness."

Good article. Thanks for posting.

Vanguard's John Ameriks covers the following very concisely.
- cost due to adverse selection
- Irreversibility of the annuity
- Loss of flexibility to meet unexpected large expenses like health & long term care.
- Bequests
- Solvency of insurers
- Tax consequences of longevity insurance.

I was impressed that adverse selection played such a large role!

I also thought it was a really informative article, and most of the "obstacles" rang very true for me.

I'd say that is the best short article on the real life issues with purchasing annuities I've read. As much as like Wade Pfau's work, I think if he actually went out to purchase an annuity (and I looked into them fairly seriously circa 2005) the 1,000 cuts as Ameriks describes makes them less interesting in the real world.

Good article. Thanks for posting. However, SPIAs are still part of my retirement planning, but at much later stages in my life. I will buy smaller deferred annuities up to my mid 50s I guess.

Last edited:
I wish they'd talked more about how deferred annuities and SPIAs can be used as a complement to other asset classes. There's no need to annuitize everything so what might be a good AA for a retiree ie what's the ratio of stocks/bonds/SPIA/SS/cash etc. Of course you'd get a different emphasis form a TIAA-CREF representative.

It's interesting to note that in the UK, where healthcare costs are not yet part of a retirees planning, the default retirement asset is the SPIA.

Back
Top Bottom