Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats W2R. That must feel really sweet. I called and made my appointment yesterday to file my claim on my own record at age 70. My Bday is 12/1 so I am eligible for my first "big" check 11/1. I received a phone appointment for 8/10. It took me 40 minutes on hold, which will probably end up being a lot more time than the actual claim filing will take on 8/10. Did your Medicare premium change, or were you already at the $134 annual rate?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have no idea what else I could possibly want to spend it on, but surely something will come to mind.

Keep in mind that depending on how much you get from other income sources, the gubmint may want a chunk. I figure when I go from Survivor benefits to my own at age 70 the increase will be substantial but mostly eaten up by extra taxes on SS and on RMDs from my IRAs.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Congrats W2R. That must feel really sweet. I called and made my appointment yesterday to file my claim on my own record at age 70. My Bday is 12/1 so I am eligible for my first "big" check 11/1. I received a phone appointment for 8/10. It took me 40 minutes on hold, which will probably end up being a lot more time than the actual claim filing will take on 8/10. Did your Medicare premium change, or were you already at the $134 annual rate?
I was already at the $134 rate, so it didn't change at all. My birthday was June 8th, so June was my first month for higher SS; my first "big" check was in July since they pay each month in arrears. I did my switchover online, and then a SS lady in Chicago called me a couple of times to clarify some details. She was very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Keep in mind that depending on how much you get from other income sources, the gubmint may want a chunk. I figure when I go from Survivor benefits to my own at age 70 the increase will be substantial but mostly eaten up by extra taxes on SS and on RMDs from my IRAs.
Well, if I ever get any tax free income from any source, I'll let you know. Haven't yet unless I have forgotten about it. Also right now I am better set than I otherwise would be, due to prior preparations over many years for the very real potential tax hit at this time that you mentioned. So anyway, all is well and I'm just gonna be happy as a pig in mud.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Nice! Isn’t it great when things work out as we expected? I have two years to go til I switch to my own record from DH’s (having made the non-deeming loophole) and hope it goes as smoothly. Although it’s not as much happy cash as yours, it will still buy a couple of nice meals a month.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Nice! Isn’t it great when things work out as we expected? I have two years to go til I switch to my own record from DH’s (having made the non-deeming loophole) and hope it goes as smoothly. Although it’s not as much happy cash as yours, it will still buy a couple of nice meals a month.
Thanks! Honestly I only half expected it because I sort of believe that until it shows up in the bank, anything can happen.

I'm taking Frank out to lunch as soon as he can get over here (from next door), to celebrate. Honestly I feel like I won the lottery or something. OK, $555/month is not quite lottery level, but it will sure give me a lot more leeway in whatever frivolous, unjustifiable spending comes to mind.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #106

W2R - looks like you need to channel your inner RobbieB and Blow that Dough!!!!

Congratulations.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #107

Old 07-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
W2R - looks like you need to channel your inner RobbieB and Blow that Dough!!!!

Congratulations.
Thanks!! You can probably predict which threads I'm going to be re-reading this afternoon.

I just got back from lunch with Frank at a more expensive place, which (for both of us, including tax and tip) cost me $41. That's twice what we usually spend. But between the lunch and the steaks, I still haven't spent even $100 yet. With perserverence, surely I can do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Me too! I just love it when I plan for something over years, and then somehow it finally comes together as planned. Doesn't always happen, but when it does that is such a good feeling.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks!! You can probably predict which threads I'm going to be re-reading this afternoon.

I just got back from lunch with Frank at a more expensive place, which (for both of us, including tax and tip) cost me $41. That's twice what we usually spend. But between the lunch and the steaks, I still haven't spent even $100 yet. With perserverence, surely I can do better.
LOL! Baby steps!

Congrats!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
LOL! Baby steps!

Congrats!
Thanks!

I half didn't expect it at all, for a variety of reasons and fears. When I suddenly saw it there in my bank account this morning, I was just brimming over with joy and had to post, hoping it didn't seem like bragging since most of us do get SS at some point.

Now to start thinking about what other baby steps I can take. After ordering the mail order steaks and also paying for our celebratory lunch, I still have 84% of it left for this month.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #111

Quote:
Thanks!

I half didn't expect it at all, for a variety of reasons and fears. When I suddenly saw it there in my bank account this morning, I was just brimming over with joy and had to post, hoping it didn't seem like bragging since most of us do get SS at some point.

Now to start thinking about what other baby steps I can take. After ordering the mail order steaks and also paying for our celebratory lunch, I still have 84% of it left for this month.
Amazon Prime day is coming up...

Depending on your views about charities, maybe a cause you believe in could use a few bucks. That's one way I like to spend some of a windfall.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #112

Congrats! Enjoy it.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
YAY!!!!

I should thank those here who actually explained to me that I could get divorced spousal for those 4 years without getting any less SS at age 70 than otherwise. I'm pretty fuzzy on who is was that I should be thanking, ingrate that I am my memory is gappy on exactly who helped me so much here, but I'm pretty sure mainly Katsmeow and maybe also REWahoo were responsible plus probably a few others that I don't recall. Well anyway, you all, you were right, IT WORKED!!!
I do indeed recall pointing this out. Glad it worked out so well for you!
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I do indeed recall pointing this out. Glad it worked out so well for you!
Thanks again, so much - - this saved me a substantial amount of income from 2014-2018, that I didn't previously realize I could get.

And thanks for the congrats, Dreamer, and for the ideas, Another Reader.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:29 PM   #115

Quote:
Thanks again, so much - - this saved me a substantial amount of income from 2014-2018, that I didn't previously realize I could get.

And thanks for the congrats, Dreamer, and for the ideas, Another Reader.
You are in a great situation. A paid for dream house in the place you want to be, a pension, investments, and now a $555 raise. We should all be so lucky to have everything we want and more!
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote