Made the switch from Divorced Spousal SS to my own SS!

Congrats W2R. That must feel really sweet. :clap: I called and made my appointment yesterday to file my claim on my own record at age 70. My Bday is 12/1 so I am eligible for my first "big" check 11/1. I received a phone appointment for 8/10. It took me 40 minutes on hold, which will probably end up being a lot more time than the actual claim filing will take on 8/10. Did your Medicare premium change, or were you already at the $134 annual rate?

I have no idea what else I could possibly want to spend it on, but surely something will come to mind.

:dance:

Keep in mind that depending on how much you get from other income sources, the gubmint may want a chunk. I figure when I go from Survivor benefits to my own at age 70 the increase will be substantial but mostly eaten up by extra taxes on SS and on RMDs from my IRAs. :(

Congrats W2R. That must feel really sweet. :clap: I called and made my appointment yesterday to file my claim on my own record at age 70. My Bday is 12/1 so I am eligible for my first "big" check 11/1. I received a phone appointment for 8/10. It took me 40 minutes on hold, which will probably end up being a lot more time than the actual claim filing will take on 8/10. Did your Medicare premium change, or were you already at the $134 annual rate?
I was already at the $134 rate, so it didn't change at all. My birthday was June 8th, so June was my first month for higher SS; my first "big" check was in July since they pay each month in arrears. I did my switchover online, and then a SS lady in Chicago called me a couple of times to clarify some details. She was very nice.

Keep in mind that depending on how much you get from other income sources, the gubmint may want a chunk. I figure when I go from Survivor benefits to my own at age 70 the increase will be substantial but mostly eaten up by extra taxes on SS and on RMDs from my IRAs. :(
Well, if I ever get any tax free income from any source, I'll let you know. :LOL: Haven't yet unless I have forgotten about it. Also right now I am better set than I otherwise would be, due to prior preparations over many years for the very real potential tax hit at this time that you mentioned. So anyway, all is well and I'm just gonna be happy as a pig in mud. :D

:dance: :clap:

Nice! Isn’t it great when things work out as we expected? I have two years to go til I switch to my own record from DH’s (having made the non-deeming loophole) and hope it goes as smoothly. Although it’s not as much happy cash as yours, it will still buy a couple of nice meals a month.

Nice! Isn’t it great when things work out as we expected? I have two years to go til I switch to my own record from DH’s (having made the non-deeming loophole) and hope it goes as smoothly. Although it’s not as much happy cash as yours, it will still buy a couple of nice meals a month.

Thanks! Honestly I only half expected it because I sort of believe that until it shows up in the bank, anything can happen.

I'm taking Frank out to lunch as soon as he can get over here (from next door), to celebrate. Honestly I feel like I won the lottery or something. OK, $555/month is not quite lottery level, but it will sure give me a lot more leeway in whatever frivolous, unjustifiable spending comes to mind. :D

W2R - looks like you need to channel your inner RobbieB and Blow that Dough!!!!

Congratulations.

W2R - looks like you need to channel your inner RobbieB and Blow that Dough!!!!

Congratulations.
Thanks!! You can probably predict which threads I'm going to be re-reading this afternoon. :D

I just got back from lunch with Frank at a more expensive place, which (for both of us, including tax and tip) cost me $41. That's twice what we usually spend. But between the lunch and the steaks, I still haven't spent even $100 yet. With perserverence, surely I can do better. :ROFLMAO:

Me too! I just love it when I plan for something over years, and then somehow it finally comes together as planned. Doesn't always happen, but when it does that is such a good feeling.

Thanks!! You can probably predict which threads I'm going to be re-reading this afternoon. :D

I just got back from lunch with Frank at a more expensive place, which (for both of us, including tax and tip) cost me $41. That's twice what we usually spend. But between the lunch and the steaks, I still haven't spent even $100 yet. With perserverence, surely I can do better. :ROFLMAO:

LOL! Baby steps!

Congrats!

Last edited:
LOL! Baby steps!

Congrats!

Thanks!

I half didn't expect it at all, for a variety of reasons and fears. When I suddenly saw it there in my bank account this morning, I was just brimming over with joy and had to post, hoping it didn't seem like bragging since most of us do get SS at some point.

Now to start thinking about what other baby steps I can take. :D After ordering the mail order steaks and also paying for our celebratory lunch, I still have 84% of it left for this month.

Thanks!

I half didn't expect it at all, for a variety of reasons and fears. When I suddenly saw it there in my bank account this morning, I was just brimming over with joy and had to post, hoping it didn't seem like bragging since most of us do get SS at some point.

Now to start thinking about what other baby steps I can take. :D After ordering the mail order steaks and also paying for our celebratory lunch, I still have 84% of it left for this month.

Amazon Prime day is coming up...

Depending on your views about charities, maybe a cause you believe in could use a few bucks. That's one way I like to spend some of a windfall.

YAY!!!!

I should thank those here who actually explained to me that I could get divorced spousal for those 4 years without getting any less SS at age 70 than otherwise. I'm pretty fuzzy on who is was that I should be thanking, ingrate that I am my memory is gappy on exactly who helped me so much here, but I'm pretty sure mainly Katsmeow and maybe also REWahoo were responsible plus probably a few others that I don't recall. Well anyway, you all, you were right, IT WORKED!!! :dance:

I do indeed recall pointing this out. Glad it worked out so well for you!

I do indeed recall pointing this out. Glad it worked out so well for you!
Thanks again, so much - - this saved me a substantial amount of income from 2014-2018, that I didn't previously realize I could get.

And thanks for the congrats, Dreamer, and for the ideas, Another Reader. :)

Thanks again, so much - - this saved me a substantial amount of income from 2014-2018, that I didn't previously realize I could get.

And thanks for the congrats, Dreamer, and for the ideas, Another Reader. :)

You are in a great situation. A paid for dream house in the place you want to be, a pension, investments, and now a $555 raise. We should all be so lucky to have everything we want and more!

Reactions: W2R
Back
Top Bottom