Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
People still have landlines?
MJ plugs into your router and you hook a regular phone to it, no landline needed.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had Ooma basic close to two years. No TM calls[emoji16]. The service is "free" bit you do have to pay FTC and other fees. Just over $5/mo
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Magic Jack for last few years since cutting all cords (Phone, TV, and Cable/Dish). I believe it's about $20/Yr !! It's been working pretty good. With traditional land lines the jacks all around house worked great but once you switch to VOIP, you'll need to buy multiple (2,3,or 4) phone system with 1 base + remote handsets.

With VOIP, you'll need to pay 911 service separately... usually ~$19/yr.
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
I use Magic Jack for last few years since cutting all cords (Phone, TV, and Cable/Dish). I believe it's about $20/Yr !! It's been working pretty good. With traditional land lines the jacks all around house worked great but once you switch to VOIP, you'll need to buy multiple (2,3,or 4) phone system with 1 base + remote handsets.

With VOIP, you'll need to pay 911 service separately... usually ~$19/yr.
do you pay for that separately or with is it included in the yearly cost for the magic jacks?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Been on MagicJack for many years. It is ok. $100 for 5 years. Works through a regular phone or Android app too.
Since they introduced the mobile app, we never use the jack anymore. Make/receive calls on 2xiPads and 2xiPhones.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had Ooma for 4-5 years now, and it has been very good. I pay for the Premier level for added features and use it with Google Voice. No issues with the phone service itself, though they are maddeningly slow to add user control features. For example, you still can't see which calls they chose to block as spam, but you can at least block "neighbor spam" and blacklist "numbers starting with" and "caller ID name starts with".

My line, through Google Voice, gets no spam. My wife's line gets occasional robocallers (even with Nomorobo enabled), but it's not severe.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I had Ooma for many years and never had any problems. I need to show my naivety for a moment. As soon as the landline is no longer needed for work, I have been assuming that we will just get rid of it, and just use cellular.

What's the reason to keep the landline?
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
what is the name and model of the sentry device?
I have the 2.2. Don't get the 1.0...it was not good. I suspect the newest one, 3.1, has some ease of use features that would make it easier to set up. You don't really need to do anything but plug it in, but you can make it easier on your mom and regular callers by manually entering their numbers instead of having them add themselves.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
... Two days ago I order the line port of our wireline number to Ooma. Amazingly, they say it might take as long as 3-4 weeks to get it done. ...
Just an update on this: I ordered the line port on 10/10 and today I have an email saying that the port will happen tomorrow, 10/15. So that's not so bad. Three business days. Apparently this is carrier dependent; ours is CenturyLink, formerly Qwest.

Now I have to get the phone wiring ready to cut over to the Ooma box.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
... What's the reason to keep the landline?
Good question. Many would probably say there is no reason.

In our case, despite being in the city, cell strength in our home can be marginal. Sometimes I have to stand near a window to get a solid connection even though we have Google Fi and it is supposed to switch us to VoIP when the signal is weak. The signal has to be really weak for this to actually happen.

Also, we have many friends and family who have and use the landline number. We could use Google Voice to alias the number and have it ring our cell phones but as previously stated I do not consider Google to be a reliable vendor so I don't want to base my telephone infrastructure on their products. Again, YMMV.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #31

Quote:
...What's the reason to keep the landline?
Here are a few reasons that apply to us. Your situation may be different.

1. It's free (GV+Obi) and makes use of our existing landline phones, 2 bases, 5 cordless handsets.
2. Our house is 4500 sqft, so unless you carry the cell phone everywhere you go, you might not hear it ring.
3. Our cell signal is weak at the house, but the landline phones use the broadband ISP, so more reliable.
4. We use an MVNO (Ting) that charges for actual usage, so cell voice minutes cost extra, while the VoIP is free.
5. Cell battery will sometimes be dead for hours before I notice, or I've left it on silent.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #32

I have magic jack and am very happy with it. I buy a years service for $60 - so $5/month. We have cordless phones around the house... and a few old wall phones, and so we have a phone close by, just like the old bell landline.

And since it is my longtime landline phone number, I have various accounts tied to it... but it's also the biggest robo-call junk call magnet. My solution to that is to forward it to my google voice number... so my phone never rings and I get text messages with a transcript when someone calls the number.

My friends and family know to call my cell phone. If any businesses (legitimate ones) call - they get voicemail (google voice) and I call them back.

It words great.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Those are excellent reasons. The cell reception is horrible here too, but we have an M-Cell (free at ATT if you complain enough).

We've used the home line for work only, so frankly I'm excited to get rid of it.
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

We got rid of our landline 6 months ago and haven't missed it at all. The only calls coming in were robocalls.
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #35

So is cable VOIP considered a land-line for Google Voice porting?

I'm selling a relative's home & want to port their number to GV - they've currently got Spectrum's "triple-play" (cable TV/VOIP phone/internet)

I still have to port to a cell phone first?
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
do you pay for that separately or with is it included in the yearly cost for the magic jacks?
9-1-1 charges are paid separately from MagicJack charges. It seems there is no way around 911 charges.
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:35 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had Ooma for many years and never had any problems. I need to show my naivety for a moment. As soon as the landline is no longer needed for work, I have been assuming that we will just get rid of it, and just use cellular.

By "landline" I presume that you mean Ooma rather than any POTS number.

We ported our POTS number to Ooma in May 2011. The reason that we keep Ooma is because it is a phone number that we have had for the house (so for both of us) since 1986 so all our family, friends and vendors have that phone number to reach us. While we could probably port it to a cellphone, we each already have cellphones and cellphone numbers that friends, family and vendors already have for us individually.

According to Ooma, we have saved $3,411.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:15 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
One reason is to keep in touch with friends who will talk to either of you. It saves them deciding ahead of time which one they want to talk to.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Did away with our landline about 4 years ago. Absolutely no need. Cable guy said having a land line is very rare anymore.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
With traditional land lines the jacks all around house worked great but once you switch to VOIP, you'll need to buy multiple (2,3,or 4) phone system with 1 base + remote handsets.
Not if you wire the phone adapter into the house's phone wiring. We have VOIP and every traditional phone jack in the house can access it; no need for new handsets.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote