Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Major Vulture Attack in Progress
Old 03-29-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Major Vulture Attack in Progress

I've deleted all my posts on this thread mainly because someone has both privately via my personal email and now openly on this board accused me of something I have never been.

I received a huge amount of advice and support on this thread for which I will always be grateful.

But, I had given way too much info on my family, their location and where I was moving.

Sorry.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Major Vulture Attack in Progress
Old 03-29-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi OAP
Seems the path of least resistance is not to take the phone call.

Always the coward
Mike
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Mod Please Move to OTher ? Major Vulture Attack in Progress
Old 03-29-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Crap

Learning to say no in ER was one of the hardest things I had to learn to do. It wasn't easy for me - since I contributed to my own problem during my working years as 'the go to' charity.

Just sucked it up and did it. The SO cracked a few times when she was alive - the problem was never 'totally solved'.

Good Luck. I mean it.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

OAP
Other weasely options
How about agreeing to everything your mom says., say you need to think about it and then ignore it. This is what I do at work.

How about buying an answering machine. Cheaper than paying the mortgage.

If those are no good, pretend to be Lou Foo Chung's Chinese Resturant.*
No No OAP here. You want dumplings with that?

Mike
Old 03-29-2006, 06:02 AM   #5

I hate to say it, but sometimes I pull the coward route too. It's easiest for me to just not answer the phone. Kinda hard to do if you don't have caller ID though. This is a long shot, but you could pick up the phone when it rings and say "Hello?" And then when they respond on the other end, if it's someone you don't want to talk to, just say "Hello?" again, this time a little more forcefully. Then, totally ignoring anything they might say, just say "Hello?" one more time, a bit impatient-like, wait a few seconds, mumble something about the damn phone lines or telemarketers or crank callers, and then hang the phone up.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:16 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

OAP, they will be on Welfare, either Yours or the States, it is still Welfare.

I would pay her, if you are prepared to do that for the rest of your life, or just force her to face reality.

I have a B in L like that, we just cut him off, he survived.

He received a small inheritance, in 6 months it was gone on pot and Beer

Parents, when they are making up their wills, survey their Children and wonder who and why certain members should get some money..

My Sons will be getting some monies from their Grand Dad, but it has strings, House or more Schooling, No car or fancy holidays, a % to be invested for the long term.

OAP, you might try one more time, attach conditions, if she fails to adhere to them there is your out?
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:18 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
"Look, I did nothing to create this crisis, I see them making almost no effort to solve it themselves and I resent being put in a position of guilt because others are bums.* Explain to me where I'm at fault here?"* I'm sure my standing in the family can't get any lower anyway.
This seems like a good idea too.

Good luck
Mike
Old 03-29-2006, 06:19 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

OAP, I don't think this needs to move to Other as it is definitely a FIRE and Money topic. (You are FIREd, your family wants your money...)

One other suggestion: If you find yourself on a call you don't want to be on you can allways hang up while you are talking. Makes it look like a phone problem. Then do Andre's "Hello, is anyone there?" routine if they call back.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:23 AM   #9

OAP I believe your last statement says it all. You've had no part in the making of this problem, you've bailed them out only to have them back where they were a few months earlier. You've done what you need to do to provide for your mother and I believe at this point your responsibility to these siblings has ended.

I doubt they will go along with your idea, that would mean putting in some effort before they saw the money. And even if they did I would be suspicous that they had set up the jobs with coniving friends. Yes I do have a suspicious mind.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:23 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

OAP

That's the engineer mindset - it's a trap - all my solutions in various cases over the years - were yes/then ignored, I tryed it but it didn't work out and it's your fault for 'making me do it', etc., etc.

Difficult for me to grasp - but some of my relatives/friends are unfixable.

Being a cheap asshole isn't soo bad. After a while I got used to it.

I will be sending my sister a last small chunk of my Mother's estate(from my half)was expecting her to contribute it toward her/BIL retirement - she let it slip over the phone about the rehersal diner expenses for her youngest son's wedding coming up.

No No No - with a few lapses here and there.

On second thought - don't listen to anything I suggest.

Heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:27 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

How about pull the two step. You call Mom, tell her you had bet on interest rate decrease, then start using a lot of economist terms (jibber jabber) and the chinese futures went south and you owe umpteen thousands you do not have and could she help you out. You are desperate, some guy named Vito keeps coming around, power company is threatening you and the repo man is parked down the street. Ask if you could live with her if the house is taken.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:32 AM   #12

If you do not want to do it, just say no. It's hard to say no to family members, but there is no clear cut or technique to say no. No matter what you are going to say, it will be unwelcomed. They will never understand why you are not helping since you are 'loaded' in their eyes.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

OAP,

I have some simple solutions.

1) Just say "NO"
2) Do not answer your phone
3) Just say "NO" and hang up the phone.
4) When you move, DO NOT LEAVE A FORWARDING ADDRESS OR PHONE NUMBER
5) Only remain in contact with your mom through a PO box.

If you give just a little to them, you will be giving for the rest of your life. You do not owe them a damn thing. They have made their own mess. Let them learn from their mistakes. Any time you get the urge to give to them, sign on here and we'll talk you out of it.

LL
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:40 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

OAP, yu have to put your foot down and say no. *Since it will be your mom you are talking to, you can put it nicely, explaining that your resources are finite, you have a lot of healthcare expenses, and periodic bailouts will not solve the underlying problem while eventually bankrupting you. *But say NO.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:50 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

If it makes you feel any better, forcing the vultures to face reality and deal with their problems is actually the best thing anyone can do for them, long term. You are being forced into the role of responsible adult, so do what you have to and get on with life. Eventually they will give up if they see that the gravy train is no longer running its schedule.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:53 AM   #16

I'd answer the phone and talk at length and with sympathy to all and sundry, but just help poor Sis pay the rent on a cheap apartment, if anything. Remember--your loot is tied up in investments, right? I don't recall if you've posted a history--what's the problem? If she's in poor health or cannot get a job, I'd feel more generous. Consider visiting her with a couple bags of groceries every few months instead of giving money. Remind your family that home ownership is hardly a necessity of life. Why do they expect you to provide luxuries for a sibling? Would they also expect you to get her a big-screen TV or pay for a vacation? What's wrong with a cheap apartment? I raised my kids in one till I bought my first house.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:56 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
But in reality, I feel like it's OK for me just to say:

"Look, I did nothing to create this crisis, I see them making almost no effort to solve it themselves and I resent being put in a position of guilt because others are bums.* Explain to me where I'm at fault here?"* I'm sure my standing in the family can't get any lower anyway.
Yep - just say that. Then don't accept ownership from any of the unreasonable tirades that follow. You've already stated that it's not your problem.

Audrey
Old 03-29-2006, 06:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Yep - just say that. Then don't accept ownership from any of the unreasonable tirades that follow. You've already stated that it's not your problem.

Audrey
Shifting blame will not go far even though the logic may be correct. It's better to say that you are willing to help but your hands are tied.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:02 AM   #19

It would appear to me you have three options.
1. Don’t answer – Mom is going to get to you sometime, so this option does not really seem to work.
2. Say NO. while this option works, you are not going to be mister popular in your family. My brother and I went through this with my sister. She moved out of state and has vowed never to speak to us again.
3. Say Yes. If you do this at least get your name on the house. Maybe a joint ownership with your brother so when she stiffs you on the rent you have someone to share the misery with. At least that way you will be getting something for you charity.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:05 AM   #20

I'd go with the "gosh mom, my money is all tied up at the moment" route. Tell her you only get income off your investments once a month and that it is just barely enough to get by on for you, what with your medical bills and all ( ).

I also like the "the check is in the mail" run around. You didn't get it yet? Must be lost. I'll stop payment on that one and send another one then. Darn postal system.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote