Join Early Retirement Today

Make It Stop!!!!!
Old 03-09-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Make It Stop!!!!!

Glad I retired a month ago so I can stay in bed today with the covers over my head ...

Yes, I know—if your AA is right, you can relax, blah blah.

Doesn’t mean this doesn’t SUCK 😬
SoReadyToRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Even with my conservative AA it still sucks. This correction could last a very long time too. Probably until some good news happens with respect to the coronavirus. Then again.......I know nothing about nothing.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It’ll all be fine. You’re probably not going to like today though...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have a month to decide if I want to take my yearly allocation for my budget or start SS a year sooner than planned.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReadyToRetire View Post
Glad I retired a month ago so I can stay in bed today with the covers over my head ...

Ha, I’m also finding “covers over the head” to be helpful.
DCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's Christmas in March at Berkshire Hathaway. Charlie and Warren are making a list and checking it twice. They can finally spend some of those billions!
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #7

I'm still 3-4 years from retirement. If the market is going to crash, I would prefer it happen now so it has time to recover before we retire. I only wish I had extra cash to invest while prices are down.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I'm still 3-4 years from retirement. If the market is going to crash, I would prefer it happen now so it has time to recover before we retire. I only wish I had extra cash to invest while prices are down.
If you're still contributing to your 401(k) (or whatever) I'd consider that cash to invest while prices are down.

I kept chucking it in in 2008/09 and it was a thing of beauty when things got back to 'normal'.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Take a deep breath. Go for a run, a bike ride, a movie, a hike. Relax and enjoy life. Forget about the market. The Great Recession passed. This too shall pass.

Lucky Dude
luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #10

This might sound crazy. Our last big buy in to VTSMX, Dow at ~16,000. DH just mentioned this morning, he wants to sell a portion of bonds in tIRA and buy VTSMX. His thoughts were to wait until it hits 22,000. I know this sounds like market timing. Thoughts and criticism welcome.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #11

I kept maximizing my 401K and putting some into my after tax investments as well in 2008. I sold some equities to increase my cash position in November. Now I wish I sold more. I enjoy rollercoasters. I don't enjoy financial rollercoasters.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #12

I don't know much. I know that this will get better at some point. I don't know when, but I know it will.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #13

I am loving every single minute of this.

My 2/98 AA has had my bottom line going up a nice amount every single day for the past couple weeks.

Now, I am getting solid dividend paying companies that have been beaten down to prices that are 10 and 20 year lows...5% to 10% dividends when the 10-year treasury is fighting to hold 0.50%.

Please, let this continue. The stock market is acting as if this is the end of the world.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll go ahead and take our annual IRA withdrawal at the end of the month. FIRECalc is still at 100% so I will hold my nose and take the plunge.
BuysToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
gone traveling

Bought in to IVV last week around 280, again today. Still a ways out for retirement, so I don't feel the same angst as OP. If you have it, I think a good time to throw some in...
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
My 2/98 AA has had my bottom line going up a nice amount every single day for the past couple weeks.

Now, I am getting solid dividend paying companies that have been beaten down to prices that are 10 and 20 year lows...5% to 10% dividends when the 10-year treasury is fighting to hold 0.50%.
Sounds like our portfolio's AA since forever. Can afford to cough up 20% of our net worth and still do quite fine (we would rather not lose that amount, but that's a different matter). Might be time to return to stocks.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #17

If you really want to put the covers over your head just think Japan stock market hit a high of 38916 at the end of 1989. It never recovered to anywhere near that level in the intervening 30+ years and is currently at 19698
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Buy low....sell high

This is the time to be buying.....not selling.....
retire202052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Wake me up when we have had another day like the one where the market dropped 20% in one day. And, when the market overall is down over 20%.

Cheap oil. What a disaster! Cheap energy. What a horror! The next thing you know the Fed will raise interest rates and slow down the War on Savers.

I suppose from the point of view that we need to burn less carbon based energy products it's not good in the long run. Today, I will be helping my Tesla owning neighbor convert his car to gasoline. OK, just kidding. He would never give up his Telsa. Never!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

+1

We should have never cut funding for the Plunge Protection Team!