Make sure you keep your credit locked

Try Credit Karma. Its free and alerted me to two attempts to open credit cards in my name.

I just opened a Fidelity/Elan card in response to a targeted mailing (and all the discussion of the card's virtues on this site). Within two minutes, I had e-mail alerts about the inquiry from Credit Karma and Credit Sesame. Elan used TransUnion, and the inquiry dropped the TransUnion Vantage score 5 points per both services.

I've done several credit card apps and they have told me which credit bureau they need to check. Each time I was able to get a one time use PIN to allow the credit card company to check my credit score. I would get the PIN and call the number they provide and they run it while you wait. No charge to get the PIN.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

so these aren't online applications then?

you get alerts (like I did) when someone tries to open a credit card in your name, you get alerts when someone uses your credit card, you get alerts when you have an account balance that increases or decreases by a significant percentage, you get alerts when.....

it's just $20 a month - live a little

Its not that 20 bucks is the big deal. I just dont see any value.
I believe im covered against losses if current cards are misused.
Ive had some errant charges reversed based on these guarantees.
Ive also been called by a charge card to approve charges they found questionable.
I can and do see account status at least 2x a month online and via statements.
So i just dont see any value in a reporting service.

Paid for Equifax coverage for a while after my purse was stolen 2 years ago. It seemed to me I was notified a few days after a questionable charge on a CC. I monitored my account on their website on a regular basis, I wasn't impressed.
I check our accounts several times each week. Our NFCU card texts me if they see a questionable charge. Same with our USAA Visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

so these aren't online applications then?

Yes, they are online but will not get instantly approved. They send you a letter with instructions on which agency to get a PIN from and what number to call when you get it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Paid for Equifax coverage for a while after my purse was stolen 2 years ago. It seemed to me I was notified a few days after a questionable charge on a CC. I monitored my account on their website on a regular basis, I wasn't impressed.
I check our accounts several times each week. Our NFCU card texts me if they see a questionable charge. Same with our USAA Visa.

I don't quite understand. It is a one time charge ($10) to freeze your credit on Equifax not something that you pay for awhile as if it were a monthly payment. If you unfreeze and freeze again then there is a charge for each time. If you are a senior it is free. At least that is what it has been for me on all 3 credit bureaus.
Also it is to prevent someone from taking out new credit (as in a new credit card) in your name not to prevent someone from using your established credit card.

Cheers!

I don't quite understand. It is a one time charge ($10) to freeze your credit on Equifax not something that you pay for awhile as if it were a monthly payment. If you unfreeze and freeze again then there is a charge for each time. If you are a senior it is free. At least that is what it has been for me on all 3 credit bureaus.
Also it is to prevent someone from taking out new credit (as in a new credit card) in your name not to prevent someone from using your established credit card.

Cheers!
I was surprised when I recently unfroze my credit for a couple of weeks that there was no charge. I vaguely remember being charged when I did it about ten years ago. It may be that I am over 65 now. I had never heard it was free after that. And, agreed, a freeze is to prevent the worst sort of identity theft where bad guys open new lines of credit in your name and run up huge bills leaving you to prove you are not responsible. I get purchase alerts from a couple of CC companies but I am not particularly worried about instant notice when someone gets my number. I am held harmless and just need to wait a couple of days for a new card. I don't see much value in a monitoring service unless you can't freeze your credit for some reason although I have a hard time imagining circumstances where $20/mth makes more sense than a simple freeze.

Its not the 20-30 bucks its that the service provides no value
Im already coveted if current accounts are misused
Ive repported some errant chsrges and had them removed based on these guarantees
Ive had card companies call me to check on questionable transactions
I see account status at least 2x per month online and via statements

What does monitoring do for me?

Does anyone have a check (other than applying for new credit) that can be performed that will confirm if Security Freezes are in effect at the various credit bureaus.

This would be a useful check to perform on a somewhat regular basis.

-gauss

To partially answer my own question, I can report the following:

I pulled my annual free credit report from Experian. On the report I found the following: "FILE FROZEN DUE TO STATE LEGISLATION."

I am not sure if this type of things shows up on all 3 credit bureaus or if it always shows up if a freeze is in effect at Experian, but it does give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling for now.

-gauss

To partially answer my own question, I can report the following:

I pulled my annual free credit report from Experian. On the report I found the following: "FILE FROZEN DUE TO STATE LEGISLATION."

I am not sure if this type of things shows up on all 3 credit bureaus or if it always shows up if a freeze is in effect at Experian, but it does give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling for now.

-gauss
I just got mine but selected Equifax -- same statement.

you get alerts (like I did) when someone tries to open a credit card in your name, you get alerts when someone uses your credit card, you get alerts when you have an account balance that increases or decreases by a significant percentage, you get alerts when.....

it's just $20 a month - live a little

+2

Hi Badger,
To clarify, I was paying Experion to monitor my ID and accounts similar to Lifelock. It was not a credit freeze or unfreeze. It was recommended I do it after my purse was stolen - the thief got my drivers license and credit cards. I simply wasn't impressed with the delay in Experian notifications to me.
We just froze our credit due to all the personal information we had to provide the Title Company to sell our house. Who knows how many hands touch that paperwork.

Just another reason why I love this board. We discussed it last night and decided to freeze our credit, and tried to come up with scenarios that could be a problem, just in case. We finally remembered we wanted to open a HELOC on our new home BEFORE we retired, so we have started the HELOC process and as soon as it's approved, we'll proceed with freezing.

Thanks all for sharing the good insight.

Just another reason why I love this board. We discussed it last night and decided to freeze our credit, and tried to come up with scenarios that could be a problem, just in case. We finally remembered we wanted to open a HELOC on our new home BEFORE we retired, so we have started the HELOC process and as soon as it's approved, we'll proceed with freezing.

be careful with the heloc - those are low hanging fruit for identity thieves

I can tell you it works as I tested it a couple of months ago. I had an offer for 80,000 IHG hotel points if I opened a new CC and spent $1,000 in three months. Even though I had 200,000+ points with IGH, I decided to test the security freeze process.

What I did was apply online for that CC and wait to see what happened. The app would not approve the card online as they sometimes do.

Within two days, I received a written letter from Chase Bank asking me to provide them a temporary PIN to check my credit at Experian. I called Experian and they provided the PIN for Chase to use. Chase was issuing the CC.

It all worked fine, but as far as I can tell, only with one credit agency. I'm not sure of any other way to test with all three.

Did that cost money as that is why I have not done a freeze since I like to get various CC's for the bonuses.

I'll second that. Appreciate all the information garnered from this board. Went on line yesterday and put a freeze on our credit with the three reporting agencies. It was very easy with Experian but took phone calls to Equifax and Transunion. Not expecting any reason for anyone to check our credit so froze access in the future.

If I ever want to unlock the freeze, I hope it's as easy as freezing it. Thanks again for the information.

The credit bureaus charge for one time PINs too.

Either your state law makes unfreezing free for residents or you pay.

But on Experians site, they waive the unfreeze fees if you're a victim of identity theft. You need a police report or a dmv report proving the ID theft

Maybe this a dumb question from one who is not too computer literate.

What do you all think of having to enter your ssn and dob on the online request form, as far as security is concerned on your own computer? Not worried about the security of the agency's system.

If a web page is secure, has the little lock icon, it should be safe.

However, if your PC has been hacked, there could be spyware that records keystrokes.

Back
Top Bottom