Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Badger,
To clarify, I was paying Experion to monitor my ID and accounts similar to Lifelock. It was not a credit freeze or unfreeze. It was recommended I do it after my purse was stolen - the thief got my drivers license and credit cards. I simply wasn't impressed with the delay in Experian notifications to me.
We just froze our credit due to all the personal information we had to provide the Title Company to sell our house. Who knows how many hands touch that paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just another reason why I love this board. We discussed it last night and decided to freeze our credit, and tried to come up with scenarios that could be a problem, just in case. We finally remembered we wanted to open a HELOC on our new home BEFORE we retired, so we have started the HELOC process and as soon as it's approved, we'll proceed with freezing.

Thanks all for sharing the good insight.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Just another reason why I love this board. We discussed it last night and decided to freeze our credit, and tried to come up with scenarios that could be a problem, just in case. We finally remembered we wanted to open a HELOC on our new home BEFORE we retired, so we have started the HELOC process and as soon as it's approved, we'll proceed with freezing.

be careful with the heloc - those are low hanging fruit for identity thieves
Old 08-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Make sure you keep your credit locked

By the way, many AAA clubs offer members free Experian monitoring. Check your local club site or http://www.aaa.com/idtheft/
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I can tell you it works as I tested it a couple of months ago. I had an offer for 80,000 IHG hotel points if I opened a new CC and spent $1,000 in three months. Even though I had 200,000+ points with IGH, I decided to test the security freeze process.

What I did was apply online for that CC and wait to see what happened. The app would not approve the card online as they sometimes do.

Within two days, I received a written letter from Chase Bank asking me to provide them a temporary PIN to check my credit at Experian. I called Experian and they provided the PIN for Chase to use. Chase was issuing the CC.

It all worked fine, but as far as I can tell, only with one credit agency. I'm not sure of any other way to test with all three.
Did that cost money as that is why I have not done a freeze since I like to get various CC's for the bonuses.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post

I'll second that. Appreciate all the information garnered from this board. Went on line yesterday and put a freeze on our credit with the three reporting agencies. It was very easy with Experian but took phone calls to Equifax and Transunion. Not expecting any reason for anyone to check our credit so froze access in the future.

If I ever want to unlock the freeze, I hope it's as easy as freezing it. Thanks again for the information.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:35 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
If I ever want to unlock the freeze, I hope it's as easy as freezing it. Thanks again for the information.
just takes me two mouse clicks
Old 08-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

The credit bureaus charge for one time PINs too.

Either your state law makes unfreezing free for residents or you pay.

But on Experians site, they waive the unfreeze fees if you're a victim of identity theft. You need a police report or a dmv report proving the ID theft
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe this a dumb question from one who is not too computer literate.

What do you all think of having to enter your ssn and dob on the online request form, as far as security is concerned on your own computer? Not worried about the security of the agency's system.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

If a web page is secure, has the little lock icon, it should be safe.

However, if your PC has been hacked, there could be spyware that records keystrokes.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, explanade.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
Maybe this a dumb question from one who is not too computer literate.

What do you all think of having to enter your ssn and dob on the online request form, as far as security is concerned on your own computer? Not worried about the security of the agency's system.
It's less dangerous than logging into your bank account.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
It's less dangerous than logging into your bank account.
I don't do that either.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Just applied for Amex card. They told me to call in at the end of the online application.

I tried getting a temporary PIN from Experian but Amex says they can't access it. I called back twice.

Now it's going to an executive group or something like that to check the application. They asked if I had checking, savings, retirement and other investments.

Then asked me the value of those assets. Strange, I never was asked that in a credit card app.

I wonder if the one-time PIN is messed up because they tried to access it more than once?

It was nice that Experian didn't charge me but I'm wondering if it wouldn't have worked better for me to do a temporary unfreeze for $10.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Did that cost money as that is why I have not done a freeze since I like to get various CC's for the bonuses.
The temporary PIN and unfreeze was $10.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

They did not charge me for the temp. PIN. I'm in CA.

But until Amex tells me they were able to access my credit report, it might not be a viable method.