Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Managed Fund Risks
Old 11-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, Az needs counseling, all right.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Yeah, Az needs counseling, all right.
Nice avatar!!! ROTFLMAO!!! Or is that the universal symbol for anyone using a financial advisor on this forum

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm with bennevis in my preference for balanced (managed) funds. I have the bulk of my portfolio in Dodge & Cox Balanced and Wellesley and I consider the exorbitant expense ratio of the funds : well worth it when you look at performance over the past 30 years. (DODBX is currently running .53 and Wellesley Admiral is at .14 )

This is sleep well at night performance...

DODBX VWINX
2006 10.9 9.2 (YTD)
2005 6.6 5.0
2004 13.3 7.6
2003 24.4 9.7
2002 -2.9 4.6
2001 10.1 7.4
2000 15.1 16.2
1999 12.1 -4.1
1998 6.7 11.8
1997 21.2 20.2
1996 14.8 9.4
1995 28.0 28.9
1994 2.0 -4.4
1993 16.0 14.7
1992 10.6 8.7
1991 20.7 21.6
1990 0.9 3.8
1989 23.0 20.9
1988 11.6 13.6
1987 7.2 -1.9
1986 18.8 18.3
1985 32.5 27.4
1984 4.7 16.6
1983 16.9 18.6
1982 26.1 23.3
1981 -2.5 8.7
1980 21.7 11.9
1979 13.5 6.2
1978 6.0 3.6
1977 -3.3 4.3
1976 25.3 23.3
1975 29.5 17.5
Old 11-29-2006, 04:57 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

forget that fact you made more money in a managed fund , you paid to high of an er. ha ha ha ha
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:25 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
forget that fact you made more money in a managed fund , you paid to high of an er. ha ha ha ha
mathjak, you kill me...............

Oh no, my ING Russia Fund has an ER of 2.13% a year!!

But, I'm averaging 45% a year in it, so I guess I'll keep it a little longer......

Old 11-30-2006, 04:14 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

thats what kills me about die hard indexers. they talk about the low er's but forget that paying for active mgmt and getting something extra in return is worth it. yes its hard to keep beating the indexes year after year for most money managers but long term the better managers and funds still out perform. the trick is finding them or a source that can help you identify who they are or will be .

are the sources right year after year?, nope but they dont need to be. remember the drops are just as important as the gains.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:06 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
thats what kills me about die hard indexers. they talk about the low er's but forget that paying for active mgmt and getting something extra in return is worth it. yes its hard to keep beating the indexes year after year for most money managers but long term the better managers and funds still out perform. the trick is finding them or a source that can help you identify who they are or will be .

are the sources right year after year?, nope but they dont need to be. remember the drops are just as important as the gains.
your opinion is not supported by the facts - indexes do better over the long term against similarly held actively managed funds. If you keep switching the active fund to pick the next winner and get it right every time you can beat the index. If you can prove success at doing that please post your future picks here so that we can all benefit.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:57 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All
your opinion is not supported by the facts - indexes do better over the long term against similarly held actively managed funds. If you keep switching the active fund to pick the next winner and get it right every time you can beat the index. If you can prove success at doing that please post your future picks here so that we can all benefit.
as a matter of fact, he has done that. He posted the name of the newsletter he receives which selects actively managed funds and which has done very well over the years. I don't know if it has beat the S&P500 since 1987, but I'm quite sure it has beat it soundly on a risk-adjusted basis.

In reality, he's attacking a sacred cow. As a result, he can talk (or type) until he's blue in the face (or fingers), he will not be taken seriously by many on this board. It's just the nature of the beast.

Personally, I use a mixture of index and actively managed funds. I consider it part of diversification.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All
Why should he do that? It's not like you are going to buy them anyway..............

Old 11-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
as a matter of fact, he has done that. He posted the name of the newsletter he receives which selects actively managed funds and which has done very well over the years. I don't know if it has beat the S&P500 since 1987, but I'm quite sure it has beat it soundly on a risk-adjusted basis.

In reality, he's attacking a sacred cow. As a result, he can talk (or type) until he's blue in the face (or fingers), he will not be taken seriously by many on this board. It's just the nature of the beast.

Personally, I use a mixture of index and actively managed funds. I consider it part of diversification.
I use both too. I mainly use index funds in my taxable accounts because they are so darn tax efficient with low turnover etc.. But I have some managed accounts in my tax advantaged accounts where trading in and out of the various funds has no tax consequences. I am in the 35% federal tax bracket, and 9.3% state bracket - so for me taxes are a MAJOR consideration.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g
That was some good data mining. Where did you get your Beta from? It is certainly not 0.98 for Wellington if you're regressing Wellington against the S&P 500 or the TSM. It's more like 0.60. Why are you comparing Wellington to the S&P 500 anyway? They're totally different animals. If you compare Wellington to a better benchmark, 60% LV index and 40% corporate bonds, you'll find that Wellington didn't really produce much alpha.

- Alec
My info. came from Morningstar and Vanguard. I compare both funds because one is managed and one is an index fund - that was the topic of this thread.
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:43 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
yes its hard to keep beating the indexes year after year for most money managers but long term the better managers and funds still out perform.
You may be correct. Now name me 10 managers of active funds that beat the S&P 500 over the last 15 years?

Here, I'll start you out with the first one:

1. Bill Miller

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:20 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Miller's a short term rookie:

Davis New York Venture
Fidelity Contrafund
Franklin Mutual Shares

35 yrs 1970 - 2005 per Bogle - 3 out of 335 at the 1970 start.

For those with strong hormonal urges, and do ya feel lucky Clint Eastwood types a read of Bogle's entire keynote speech at the May 15 Las Vegas Money Show might enable one to practice safe sex er managed fund picking going forward.

He starts with a plug for the Vanguard Diehards book - the managed fund stuff is toward the end.

heh heh heh heh - if one can forgo pure hot rod performance - a managed fund selected for Norwegian reason's - aka psst Wellesley - or like the Marines a few good fund's can provide current yield (income) with some inflation fighting power for an entire retirement.

Soooo - the winner's for the next 35 yrs are ??
Safe sex is easier
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I tend to cleave to index funds for a simple reason: if there is any stock picking to be done, I'll do it for myself.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I tend to cleave to index funds for a simple reason: if there is any stock picking to be done, I'll do it for myself.
Most don't have your knowledge about equities out there.........

Old 11-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Most don't have your knowledge about equities out there.........
But apparently they're better at picking active fund managers?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
But apparently they're better at picking active fund managers?
Come on Nords people need to be good at something : Picking fund managers is earier because there is more of them. probability of hitting a one when my pet monkey[MpM] throws darts is more because they sheets are twice as big. When MPM throws at stocks, it hits outside the board too often :P
Old 11-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

i think that to some extent the statistics quoted for index vs managed funds is flawed . its flawed in the sence that a portfolio if done right consists of not just one fund but many funds and many asset classes.

having said that i also think that a major percentage of funds are funds that none of us would buy as they are poor performers , high fees or crappy mgmt. once you weed out all the crappy stuff the percentage of funds that on and off beat the indexes i imagine increases drastically.

now with many funds and asset classes in a well designed portfolio the chances of a better fund or manager beating its index becomes greater in at least one or more catagories..

throw in the fact that some managers may get lucky and not drop even half as much in a down turn as its index and you have a winning formula for a nice return. most index funds and indexers havent been indexing long enough to get caught in a real prolonged downturn with the fury of that fund being 100% invested.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #59

I read this qoute somewhere, not sure who said it, but it sure is a good one!

If you gave a thousand monkeys a coin to toss ten times, odds are at least 10 or more would have all heads or all tails ten times in a row. When the monkey does it , we call it luck. When a mutual fund manager does it we call it skill......
Old 11-30-2006, 05:17 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

the other thing that dosnt add up either to the statistics toughted is this.

fidelity has very few funds that are really really top shelf , they have quite a few that are middle range to upper range in performance..

yet look at how the big 3 newsletters that work with fidelity funds have done.

fidelity monitor actually beat even fidelity insight and fidelity adviser is right in there within a point or so long term too. its obvious that something happens when all these mid range to upper range active managed funds are molded into a diversified portfolio with different asset classes . the results all seem excellent and all use different funds . all 3 have probley beat the indexes according to the info on dfa's site and the risk adjustment is less.

remember statistics can show anything the writer choses . ultimately we all need a portfolio that meets our needs and lets us sleep at night. its all a means to an end.