Manna from Heaven (via the Social Security Administration...)

I think my children will be very happy when we croak!

I'm sure you mean that "tongue in cheek".... When you realize you are saving-producing income for the benefit of your kids and grandkids that's when it time to think about your own wants/desires. It's not an easy mindset to adopt after many years of saving and planning for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you mean that "tongue in cheek".... When you realize you are saving-producing income for the benefit of your kids and grandkids that's when it time to think about your own wants/desires. It's not an easy mindset to adopt after many years of saving and planning for the future.
Yes, they love us. :)

Whatever I really desire, I already have. I have never had a German luxury car, but I do not want one. I already have 2 comfortable homes, and they already keep me busy enough with maintenance. The thing I really want and would enjoy is a waterfront home in the Puget Sound, but the SS checks are not enough to help. :)

W2R Great job and your diligence pays off. Best wishes with the windfall.

Reactions: W2R
Consider yourself one of the lucky ones that didn't have to buy one to find that out!:D

I had a friend who once bought a used Mercedes at a 'good' price. His comment after several years, "They treat you like a king, an bill you like one also."

Even worse, buy one and find out you don't care for the cheaper cars!

That may be where I am right now. I may roll into a used Corvette to ease the pain of withdrawal. :D

But I do 90% of my own maintenance and repairs so the bleeding is tolerable. But the parts cost are high.

For those who do not do their own work on German cars, it's got to be a real love affair.;)

It's definitely not one of the problems that money cannot solve. Same as with having a mansion.

The problem is now shifted to one of finding more money. Some solve it by finding a way to make multiple SS claims. I do not know how they do that, but that often creates another problem, which then makes the luxury car and waterfront mansion irrelevant.

I just do not want to create more or new problems for myself.

Last edited:
I guess I am lucky.

I have no desire for a German luxury car (mostly due to their infamous repair records, and my lack of patience with that sort of thing). I thought I wanted one, until I could afford one and then guess what? When it came right down to it, I didn't realy want one.

The idea of owning and maintaining a mansion sounds enough like work that it nearly horrifies me. Surely I can make better use of my very precious time. I don't have any use for the space, either.

I guess I am lucky.

I have no desire for a German luxury car (mostly due to their infamous repair records, and my lack of patience with that sort of thing). I thought I wanted one, until I could afford one and then guess what? When it came right down to it, I didn't realy want one.

The idea of owning and maintaining a mansion sounds enough like work that it nearly horrifies me. Surely I can make better use of my very precious time. I don't have any use for the space, either.

OMG, this is so unfair. Why can't some of that manna from heaven splash on us spenderinas? :D

j/k. I'm a great believer in the role good fortune plays when it comes to FIRE, but being able to say "enough" is neither luck nor serendipity, it's attitude and discipline, and you seem to have the right amount of both. Enjoy your gift!

OMG, this is so unfair. Why can't some of that manna from heaven splash on us spenderinas? :D

Why couldn't it have splashed down on me when I was young and dirt poor, when I really, desperately needed it? This is almost like the universe is playing a joke on me. :facepalm:

j/k. I'm a great believer in the role good fortune plays when it comes to FIRE, but being able to say "enough" is neither luck nor serendipity, it's attitude and discipline, and you seem to have the right amount of both. Enjoy your gift!

Thanks. Right now I'm not sure if it is a gift or a burden. :LOL: I am doing searches on how to spend more money and so far I think most webpages are abysmally lacking in imagination. Maybe that upgraded house in the back of my mind would be a good option some day, if I can find one that I like better than where I am now.

Why couldn't it have splashed down on me when I was young and dirt poor, when I really, desperately needed it? This is almost like the universe is playing a joke on me. :facepalm:

Thanks. Right now I'm not sure if it is a gift or a burden. :LOL: I am doing searches on how to spend more money and so far I think most webpages are abysmally lacking in imagination. Maybe that upgraded house in the back of my mind would be a good option some day, if I can find one that I like better than where I am now.

You get other fringe benefits when you are young and dirt poor!

I know you don't like travel, but a trip would be a good way to celebrate this windfall. If you don't want to go far, why not take Frank for a short break at a luxury golf resort, spa, etc within driving distance? That's what I would probably do.

You get other fringe benefits when you are young and dirt poor!

Yeah, I was a lot prettier even with second hand clothes, and I knew it! I had a lot of fun despite not having two cents.

I know you don't like travel, but a trip would be a good way to celebrate this windfall. If you don't want to go far, why not take Frank for a short break at a luxury golf resort, spa, etc within driving distance? That's what I would probably do.

That's a good idea. I'll look around to see what is available within a day's drive or so.

It's really hard to think of ways to blow money other than trips or cars/planes/boats/RVs. Now real estate - - that has some promise, if I can find a really super house (not a mansion) to move into.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, all fees are due in advance of services provided. :)

You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at.

When you get the fees, shout "Wahoo!". Then do Asleep At The Wheel and "Shout Wa Hey!". ;)

Last edited:
Thanks. Right now I'm not sure if it is a gift or a burden. :LOL:
A burden? I do not know of any encumbrance that could be more easily shed. In fact people are so willing to help you remove such terrible load off your [-]account[/-] shoulders. And this includes your friends here on the forum. Send it to us, and we will tell you how we dispose of it for you.

Well, if it were me, I would just add it to my pile, and count it along with the rest of its cousins. As I keep sayin', countin' money, even if it is done with Quicken, is a pleasure in itself.

"Money is much more exciting than anything it buys" - Mignon McLaughlin

M_Id_109245_counting_cash.jpg

Last edited:
And speaking of Quicken, as I hit "One Step Update" while making the above post, it just came back and told me a big check (low 5 figure) to my contractor just cleared the bank!

With the market taking a stumble recently, when will I see that Quicken bottom line setting a new high? No manna from heaven for me.

Last edited:
Wow, W2R. What wonderful news!

I followed the link you posted, just to learn about this. I was curious if your Federal pension had any effect. Sound like it does ( like GPO or WEP ) but I remember you said your pension is small.

My sister was married for 20 years before her divorce and her ex is almost full retirement age by now. Doesn't matter as she remarried within a few years.

She turned 62 in April and wanted to get her SS early. Her DH is 67, recently retired but not collecting SS yet as they have a healthy portfolio to live on. He tried to explain the benefits of her waiting until her FRA and his file and suspend, but she wanted to start at 62 even if it wasn't the best option. Her reasoning is that since they got married everything has come from his income and his assets and she wants to be able to contribute to the pot. They travel a lot and she wants to be know that she helps with some of these extra expenses.

So her decision is from her heart and gut, not a math equation. Like you, she was so excited to see that first direct deposit, in her name.

Congratulations! Another good reason your unmarried status works.

... Her DH is 67, recently retired but not collecting SS yet as they have a healthy portfolio to live on. He tried to explain the benefits of her waiting until her FRA and his file and suspend, but she wanted to start at 62 even if it wasn't the best option...
I am not sure if it is not a toss-up.

The more important thing is for her husband to delay SS, which he already does. If he dies first as most men do, then she will step up to his SS benefit. As a widow has to live on a single SS, it is desirable to have that as high as possible.

Wow, W2R. What wonderful news!

I followed the link you posted, just to learn about this. I was curious if your Federal pension had any effect. Sound like it does ( like GPO or WEP )

Nope - - I am in the newer FERS federal retirement system (like everyone first hired by the federal government after the mid 1980's, I think). As such, I paid the full amount into Social Security from every single paycheck and my pension is correspondingly smaller. So, my pension does not reduce my SS. I think that GPO/WEP are more relevant for those in the older CSRS federal retirement system.

Congratulations! Another good reason your unmarried status works.

Thank you!! I didn't choose to stay single just because of divorced spousal benefits (since I kind of dropped the ball and didn't understand about them at first). But it sure worked out nicely; had I remarried, I would not have qualified for these benefits. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom