Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

What sucks is the rebalance on schedule at start of new year (wouldn't want to time the market) which of course was a fairly significant false hop up.

Bleh.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
DW was layed off today, but we'll be OK.
Sorry to hear this. It appears your wife already sensed that it was coming, so you have had some mental preparation. Best wishes to you.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I rebalanced on 1/15. That was way better than rebalancing on 1/2 or 1/3
Which is when I did it.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Tomorrow I will buy. Perhaps 1% worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I bought some more today (about 1% of portfolio).
Hey, I am a man of my words. Bought roughly 1% worth, sprinkled among PFF, AGU, FTK, POT, and BRK/B.

So far so good. Buy, buy, buy. Even when you are in tears.

As a diversified stock holder, what I have found being a somewhat active investor (but no daytrader) is that what you buy is not as important as when you buy. Buy, buy, buy. Stock allocation: 49% now.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry to hear this. It appears your wife already sensed that it was coming, so you have had some mental preparation. Best wishes to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
Sorry to hear but doesn't your wife have that incredible sewing ability ? Maybe she could do that part time while looking for a new job . I love personalized purses .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
I am so sorry to hear this! Glad you will be OK, but still, it probably isn't what you had hoped or planned.
Thank you all for your kind remarks. We had a whole bottle of wine last night (twice what we normally have). Not sure about the sewing, you must be thinking of someone else.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
What sucks is the rebalance on schedule at start of new year (wouldn't want to time the market) which of course was a fairly significant false hop up.

Bleh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Quote:
rebalanced on 1/15. That was way better than rebalancing on 1/2 or 1/3
Which is when I did it.
I've settled on January 15 as my official rebalance date for several reasons. One is that there often seems to be a late Dec and early Jan run-up. This may be due to end-of-year window dressing, but perhaps is even more influenced by the start of year money coming into the market.

Jan 15 is a more practical date for me because it takes a few days into Jan to get my final fund distributions reported, and then I have to calculate estimated taxes. By Jan 15 I know approx the taxes owed by my retirement fund, and since this comes out of cash, it impacts the fund rebalancing.

Over the past few years it always seemed that if I reinvested in early Jan, the market would immediately sell off, but if I waited until Jan 15, there would be a big Jan rally. But not this year! So now I'm sticking with Jan 15 and letting it average out. (But I still suspect over time Jan 15 is better because of the first-of-year market shenanigans).

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Thank you all for your kind remarks. We had a whole bottle of wine last night (twice what we normally have). Not sure about the sewing, you must be thinking of someone else.
Oops that was Marquette ! I'm still wishing you well !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Stock allocation: 49% now.
At market close today, my equity portion went up roughly 4%. That brings up the AA to 50/50!

Think about that a bit. Around 50/50 AA, a 4% price move of equities changes the AA by 1%.

The thing keeps balancing itself. Do I buy more tomorrow? Should I?

Ah, if it were so easy, everybody would be rich.

But I don't need to be rich. I just want enough to stay FIRE'd.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And the problem is, it's only our assets that are correcting in price, not expenses (other than gas prices)...
Haven't you heard about deflation? Everything will get cheaper, so you will be just as well off as before. Stocks and housing are leading the way - these things always have leading sectors Just be patient - the other stuff will catch up.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Around 50/50 AA, a 4% price move of equities changes the AA by 1%.
Well, it depends on what the bond portion does. But if the bonds don't change in value, then a 4% equity increase would change your allocation from 50/50 to 51.9%. Did I get that right?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Well, it depends on what the bond portion does. But if the bonds don't change in value, then a 4% equity increase would change your allocation from 50/50 to 51.9%. Did I get that right?
Not quite. If you had $100 in stocks and $100 in bonds originally, with a 4% jump in stocks you now have $104 in stocks and $100 in bonds.

104/204 = 50.98% stocks.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I did the math wrong.