Join Early Retirement Today

Market pointing to the Nov low and no one is jumping out the window!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Market pointing to the Nov low and no one is jumping out the window!

The S&P is about 50pts north of the November low and there doesn't seem to be much talk about it. Why?

My guesses are:
People are resigned to the situation/pain
Those that would have panicked have done so and don't have anything else to say.
Media & politicians aren't hyping it as much as they did a couple of months ago.

I still have a few cents to throw into the market. I'm guessing the market will go lower until the uncertaintly over the next stimulus package and TARP funding is resolved.

It looks as if the dollar is making it's move now. I think it is still too early to buy foreign currencies.

High yield corp bonds still looking good.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Med's baby!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There is nothing left to say.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The pound sterling is getting murdered. Rogers is even warning against investing money in the UK. Apparently the currencies with the best outlook right now (despite the USD recovery) are the Swiss Franc, the Norwegian Krona and the Japenese Yen.

Bloomberg.com: News

Hum, the typical international equity fund usually has a fairly large stake invested in the UK, that can't be good.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I am still above my Nov 20. About 5.4% above. Which is more than 1 yr of living expenses. Will see if I will lose that too.

Anyway, I see that financial stocks keep setting new lows. Not too surprising, since bad news keep coming out about B of A, and Citigroup. Most other industrial stocks are above their Nov 20 lows. Look at Bershire for example. So, there is no panic selling like Nov. Not yet anyway.

Will I have the courage to buy? Will anyone here? Or do you even have any cash left?

PS. I still will not buy financials. There are so many other stocks to chose from.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Everyone that was going to have a heart attack, did so in November.
All that's left are bargain hunters and people buying Palladium.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
There is nothing left to say.
Don't be silly! - - of course there is:

Pssst - Wellesley.

And - not having a dog left in the fight anymore - who do I now pick for the Superbowl?

heh heh heh - Da Lazy Portfolio Smackdown winner in band number 2 last year.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I still haven't bought in with my Vanguard money from the house sale. At first I figured I had missed the bottom so I was in no real hurry while I was still learning about bonds and working on perfecting my AA. Now I realize I was just making another brilliant investing decision. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I will be buying in soon. I have no idea if I'll be buying at bottom or not (obviously), but I think I'll go all in when I do it instead of DCAing. I'm not putting quite as much in since I decided to buy down my mortgage to a conventional during refinancing. But it's still going to be a big chunk for me. I'll check back on the thread in 15 years or so and let you know how it worked out.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Will I have the courage to buy? Will anyone here? Or do you even have any cash left?
I am still buying. I bought on 01/12, 01/14, and plan on buying today as well. I am fully rebalanced now, so I am not buying equities only anymore as I was on October/November. My portfolio is currently yielding 4% and I will try to keep it that way during this tough time.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I've panicked as much as I could and now I accepted my new reality . I 'll just ride this out unhappily .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

On November 20th, the S&P may have been low like that but Yahoo finance says the Dow was 7464.51 at close (with an adjusted close, adjusted for dividends and splits, of 7552.29). I have been adding the max to treasury bond funds in my tax deferred accounts, so it is difficult to compare their values to those on Nov 20th. However, the taxable (main) accounts in my portfolio are all considerably higher now than they were then, though I haven't transferred any money into them other than dividends etc.

I promise you that if/when the taxable side of my portfolio reaches its November 20th values, I'll be screaming bloody murder with the best of them. On the other hand, I am pretty resigned to the fact that we are in for rough times. I just like to moan and squawk about the market.

Edited to add: As for buying, I will probably rebalance when my AA gets a little further out of whack. Today, it is 43:57 instead of 45:55, and that is not quite enough to spur me to do anything about it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I've panicked as much as I could and now I accepted my new reality .
I'm confused by this statement. Isn't there always room for more panic?

BTW, I think I made a fundamental error earlier this fall by assuming that this situation was a garden variety panic, and that governmental intervention would be huge and effective.

Not a garden variety panic, and although intervention has been huge I believe that much of it has been corrupt and wrong headed. It has certainly not been effective.

I am very glad that I have minimal financial company exposure partly because the financial companies I do own have been creamed and have reduced themselves to relative unimportance for further losses. Though they could represent good upside should this current mess start to resolve itself.

I sometimes think of the guy on another thread who has much of his assets in BAC. That man is Evil Knieval's twin.

Ha
Old 01-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My imaginary ostrich and I are waiting this whole mess out...
Old 01-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I'm confused by this statement. Isn't there always room for more panic?

Ha

No, after awhile panic gets boring and you need to busy yourself with other things .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

We got pre-panicked by the media, such as the newspaper stories that already appeared several months ago recalling living through the Great Depression.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I am still buying. I bought on 01/12, 01/14, and plan on buying today as well. I am fully rebalanced now, so I am not buying equities only anymore as I was on October/November. My portfolio is currently yielding 4% and I will try to keep it that way during this tough time.
My stock portion is back down to 48%. Tomorrow I will buy to add to the positions I already have. Why, someone has been buying. The NYSE volume is not as high as Nov 20, but not low either. NASDAQ has fairly high volume. Another wave of capitulation?

Tomorrow I will buy. Perhaps 1% worth.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My stock portion is back down to 48%. Tomorrow I will buy to add to the positions I already have. Why, someone has been buying. The NYSE volume is not as high as Nov 20, but not low either. NASDAQ has fairly high volume. Another wave of capitulation?

Tomorrow I will buy. Perhaps 1% worth.
I bought some more today (about 1% of portfolio). It's a sad day when you have to buy stocks just to keep your yield up...
Old 01-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I bought some more today (about 1% of portfolio). It's a sad day when you have to buy stocks just to keep your yield up...
Hmmm - should I send my Vanguard computers rebalancing my Target Retirement 2015 some nice cheery Thinking of You cards to buck them up?

A Get Well Soon card might be pushing it.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Wartime mentality. You get used to the shelling.
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Why no one is jumping out the window?

What jumping? We have to crawl up and out of the basement window!